Any recommendations for Open-door helicopter?

MinnieSueB

Mouseketeer
Heading to Aulani end of May for DD's HS graduation and was wondering if anyone has done an open-door helicopter ride recently that you would recommend?

You might want to look into the safety of those helicopter rides. One just crashed in Kauai in Feb.
Yeah - I know it happens but was considering it and was wondering if anyone had a good experience recently. We did one about 6 years ago and it was great.

We all have different levels of risk that we are willing to make. People die in car crashes every day. Heck, even one person a day dies from a slip in the shower - my husband does actuarial work and has this stat. I respect your decision. I was simply asking if anyone had any recommendations.

You might want to look into the safety of those helicopter rides. One just crashed in Kauai in F

We all have different levels of risk that we are willing to make. People die in car crashes every day. Heck, even one person a day dies from a slip in the shower - my husband does actuarial work and has this stat. I respect your decision. I was simply asking if anyone had any recommendations.
There have been 57 deaths by helicopter crash in Hawaii since 1984. One very recently. My husband is a UH1Y helicopter pilot and we won't even take a helicopter tour in Hawaii.

My husband did Paradise Helicopters a few years ago (https://paradisecopters.com/) and really loved it. It wasn't the doors off experience, but they do do one. Admittedly, I've told him he's never going in a helicopter again unless it's saving our lives, but they were still very good. :-)

Not to threadjack here, but while we're strapped in, does anyone know of an operator daring enough to offer a doors-off Hawaiian chopper experience that also includes concurrent bungee jumping? Asking for a friend. 🚁

Not to threadjack here, but while we're strapped in, does anyone know of an operator daring enough to offer a doors-off Hawaiian chopper experience that also includes concurrent bungee jumping? Asking for a friend. 🚁
Excellent question! I think the whole family would love it, though I’m hoping to find a paragliding experience with a freefall diving option.

This logic always befuddles me. There are far more cars driving around than helicopters flying. So, of course there are more car accidents. Apples to oranges.
And 57 deaths in 40 years is 1.4 deaths by helicopter crash per year. Assuming that there are 5 helicopter flights per day in Hawaii (I have no idea, I'm guessing and I bet it's more than that), that's a 0.07% chance of death (assuming my math is correct).

57 deaths seems like a big number when it's taken out of context.

And the OP did mention that they were not risk averse, so this is off-topic anyway.

We are at Aulani right now and just got back from doing the Magnum Helicopter doors-off tour. We felt safe the whole time and had an amazing tour. Highly recommend you looking into them if you are still interested.

We are at Aulani right now and just got back from doing the Magnum Helicopter doors-off tour. We felt safe the whole time and had an amazing tour. Highly recommend you looking into them if you are still interested.
Thank you! That's who we used several years ago and enjoyed it.

And 57 deaths in 40 years is 1.4 deaths by helicopter crash per year. Assuming that there are 5 helicopter flights per day in Hawaii (I have no idea, I'm guessing and I bet it's more than that), that's a 0.07% chance of death (assuming my math is correct).

57 deaths seems like a big number when it's taken out of context.

And the OP did mention that they were not risk averse, so this is off-topic anyway.
The thing is, if I went to a theme park, and was made aware that there were 57 deaths arising from a particular kind of ride, in that state specifically, no matter what the time frame, I think I’d want my family to just avoid the ride. Let’s assume that it’s a big theme park, and there are lots of safer rides.

And, yes, I’m aware that there are more everyday activities where there are odds for fatalities as well, which are perhaps greater, but realistically I’m not going to stop driving a car, or avoid the beach because of shark bites or rip currents or whatever, etc. etc. I’m just going to avoid a ride that has resulted in 57 deaths.

Yeah - I know it happens but was considering it and was wondering if anyone had a good experience recently. We did one about 6 years ago and it was great.
You mean like, experience with a helicopter that didn't crash?

J/K. I've never done one but it's the cost that stopped me. I would not pass up the opportunity but... I would be going without DW. She's a hard pass on a helicopter ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter