Any suggestions for the best Florida beach destination for Christmas?

alohamom

DIS Veteran
I am thinking about surprising the family with a little trip at Christmas time. I dont think we will do any Disney days, it will be too crowded for me and we just need a bit of relaxation. Any suggestions for a beach destination in Florida that might be warm-ish around Christmas. I had a friend tell me they went to Fort Myers last year and it was spring like. Any ideas are welcome, I dont think we want Miami, just a nice quiet pretty beach...

December can be hit or miss weather wise. So further south has a better chance for warm weather. We have stayed in Hollywood Beach which is just south of Fort Lauderdale. Fun Beach area.

We used to go to Miami at Christmas, as my grandparents lived there. You can get cool weather there, too at that time of the year. But I would say anything around there. Doesn't Disney have a resort in Vero Beach? A bit north of where I suggested, but certainly more relaxing than a park, yet still the Disney service and ambience.

https://verobeach.disney.go.com/

As mentioned, I agree that the weather can be hit or miss that time of year. However, we usually tack on 5 days at the Tradewinds Resort (https://www.tradewindsresort.com/index) in St. Pete beach at the end of our Disney trips in February. It is a great location right on the beach with lots of activities for the whole family. The hotel and surrounding area are right out of the 70's, but we always have a blast there. The service at the hotel is amazing - everyone is extremely friendly.

Head to the Florida Keys. We stayed in Islamorada after a WDW trip one January and it was much warmer then Orlando, probably 26-27 range compared to 18-20 in Orlando. It is about 2 hours from Miami.
We stayed at this little place, very clean and quiet but close to anything you need. My youngest daughter is a bit of a hotel snob and was most concerned about staying at a small motel type resort but she loved this place.

http://www.dropanchorresort.com/

We loved our Key West stay! Our hotel (Sheraton Suites) was right across the street from a quiet beach and hotel provided a shuttle to the downtown tourist area.
Gulf Coast is so nice, love the calm waters and powered sand beach. We've stayed at Siriata Beach Resort in St Pete, but not in winter.
Deerfield Beach is one of our fav beaches on the Atlantic Side. It's in Broward County a bit north of the busy Ft Lauderdale beach strip, and just a touch south of Boca Raton. Beautiful beach, very clean. Has a sea wall walk, pier, restaurants, just on a smaller scale than Ft. Lauderdale Strip. So quieter. This is where we usually stay. We'll be back there in 2 weeks!
If you want a hotel recommendation I'd be happy to give you one. There are a few chain hotels, but we prefer a small family owned one that's half a block from the beach. Google Deerfield Beach, the city has a great web site, and beach cams too!!

My fellow Canadian Dis'ers are the best!!!! Thank you for all this info, it gives me a great place to start.

As mentioned, I agree that the weather can be hit or miss that time of year. However, we usually tack on 5 days at the Tradewinds Resort (https://www.tradewindsresort.com/index) in St. Pete beach at the end of our Disney trips in February. It is a great location right on the beach with lots of activities for the whole family. The hotel and surrounding area are right out of the 70's, but we always have a blast there. The service at the hotel is amazing - everyone is extremely friendly.
We are heading to Tradewinds for 5 nights. Dec 31 to jan 5th. Excited

I love the old Florida style feel of St. Pete Beach. Sirata Beach Reasort is nice too, just down the beach from Tradewinds. We also stay in an Old Florida style hotel in Deerfield beach as well. Small mom & Pop hotel, spotless, they keep it updated, and same staff working there for years. I'm always welcomed back warmly by name. Carriage House Resort. You just don't get that type of feel at the big box new hotels.

Not sure how old your kids are....as mentioned the further south the better the weather. The climate and especially the ocean really changes at the Palm Beaches....its where the water warms (and the sharks migrate). There is an excellent little Zoo in Palm Beach which we love, and the Gardens Mall on PGA blvd is nice. That said, Hollywood Florida is great - not quite the crowds of Miami Beach but very close...plus the Broad Walk. There are so many nice beaches down in this area....Dania Beach Ocean Park, Red Reef Park Beach in Boca Raton (maybe the nicest beach on the Atlantic side of Florida in my opinion), Lauderdale by the Sea.....so nice down there and great for families. You also have Miami, Ft Lauderdale, and even Palm Beach Airports to choose from (and Orlando really) I know on the Gulf side the water can get warmer the further north you go - Panama City Beach, Destin etc - I think get warmer than Clearwater, but perhaps a bit more off the beaten track.

Have fun wherever you end up - I'm been hustling my family all over the sunshine state every chance I get and we haven't seen half of it yet

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter