• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any tips for camping with dog?

M

manemagic

We are going down next March and wonder about taking our dog. We have a very well behaved german shephard, she has camped with us from day one and loves people and doesn't bark. Are we allowed to leave her at the camper ( 29' 5th wheel) when we go to the parks, or must we put her in kennel? She is fine in the RV when we aren't there...is 10 years old and usually just sleeps. Can you walk your dog all over FW or are there only certain places she can go? As you can see, we are really wanting to bring her, but don't want her to be miserable...she has gotten used to camping in Maine and the freedoms here, so if it will be really different in FW, we will probably leave her with our daughter...thanks for all the tips!!:D Nancy

Yes, she can stay in a 5th wheel while you are at the parks assuming she does not disturb the neighbors.

You will be limited to the 4 Pet loops" (1600, 1700, 1800 & 1900) or the 1 preferred loop that accepts pets 300. The last I heard, the 300 loop still does not exist in the CRO system as a pet loop so you have to request that loop but not mention a pet.

Walking her will also be limited to the pet loops and the pet trail behind the 1800 loop along the canal. Be advised that during busy periods there can be a lot of people walking dogs on the pet trail so barks and playing may be happening more than the business at hand:D.

The only time you are not allowed to leave a pet unattended at a site is if you are sleeping in canvas (tent or pop up). In that case you can have them on the site while you are there and kennel them whan you leave. Additionally, AC is needed in RVs during the summer for the safety of the pet.

Our GSD "Natasha" loves FW and you can take a look at her WEB SITE

We have taken my corgi, Gunnar, about a half-dozen times. He loves his vacation, too! You can leave your dog in your rv unless it is a pop-up. Gunnar, too, sleeps while we are gone. You can walk your dog around the pet loops and there are also a couple of creekside walking areas. It is plenty of walking room for him!

You are not supposed to leave them outside the rv alone (tied up) and you have to clean up after your pet. They have 'DoggiPots' around with bags and trashcans. The dogs are to be kept on a leash. You have to sign that they have all their shots--I always take a copy of his shot record. I usually take a couple of gallons of water from home--don't want 'traveler's tummy', and he is on heartworm, flea and tick preventatives. I also have one of those flashing collar lights for our nighttime walks!

We have great fun with him, and I don't have to worry about him being lonely at home without us!

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

81 days to go

Thank you so much...just didn't want to get all the way down there and find that it wouldn't work...good idea about the shot records...are there really as many ticks down there as I've read? We have alot of dog ticks here in Maine, but in our area no deer ticks yet. Also will make sure to bring her "own" water! I'll be seeing you soon I'm sure ...I'm full of questions!!! Nancy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter