Any USA entry updates?

Considering the issues currently in the US with the rise in Covid cases then we should be part of it too. There is a good reason why the EU is considering this ban, the US is not doing a great deal to tackle the crisis, even to the point of being in denial and even though the UK govt hasn't exactly been fantastic at least our numbers are reducing rapidly. The US is not lifting it's ban on countries that have taken great strides in tackling the problem and whose numbers have fallen exponentially, so we should not allow citizens of a country where individual states are refusing entry to residents of other states for fear of spreading the virus from entering our borders. Sounds a bit tit for tat perhaps, but, it's common sense.
I’m with you. Indeed I read that a report in The Sun (I know a very reliable source LOL) about air bridges indicates the US will not open up until maybe the end of the year.

Without knowing how many tests are being done as well each day, it is hard to know if the upturn in new cases is real, or just due to more testing. But the number of deaths isn't showing any signs of an upturn - if that starts to go up as well, that is the time to start worrying.
With the rise in cases it's a sad inevitability that the number of deaths will rise too.

I’m with you. Indeed I read that a report in The Sun (I know a very reliable source LOL) about air bridges indicates the US will not open up until maybe the end of the year.
I saw that also. I think TUI have been tipped off on Air Bridges

With the rise in cases it's a sad inevitability that the number of deaths will rise too.

The John's Hopkins Uni website is really good, they give an indication of testing in FL. In the last two weeks it's been pretty flat in terms of testing numbers.

The key metric is % of tests that come back positive. That is trending up and takes into account the number of tests.

Interestingly, the age group that is now the larger positive tests is 18-34, which means we won't see a huge increase in hospitalisation, or deaths unless they then take to their older relatives. We might not see an increase on hospitalisation or deaths for another 2-4 weeks given incubation times.

Just to clarify. USA is officially on red list of countries for entry to U.K. with no immediate date to review. List can be found on BBC and government websites x
Yep. I really think that travel this summer is a no go, and could remain so for the autumn too. Things can change quite quickly, but I don’t see the government lifting the red status anytime in the next 6 weeks given what is going on with virus numbers in the USA at the moment. Sad times :(

Last edited:

I wonder if VA will be cancelling any more flights soon. They still haven't said anything about the flights that are supposed to start running to LA and NY on the 20th of July. I'm kind of expecting my flight on Sept 2nd to be cancelled.

Well, it looks as though BA are just cancelling one month at a time, so early September travellers may not know until just one month before whether the flights are happening. Interestingly the Orlando and Tampa routes seem to be the only ones that have been outright cancelled. Loads of other North American destinations are still selling on their website for both July and August. Even places like Vegas are still for sale, and I’d have thought a fair proportion of that traffic was leisure travellers. The Miami route is still on sale for August too, since it is more of a business route I guess and there are still people travelling for essential purposes.

I wonder if VA will be cancelling any more flights soon. They still haven't said anything about the flights that are supposed to start running to LA and NY on the 20th of July. I'm kind of expecting my flight on Sept 2nd to be cancelled.
I think all the airlines are taking it month by month, but, are fully aware that they will probably not be flying to the US anytime for the rest of the year.
It's a shame VA discontinued their flights to Japan as I think many of us would be considering giving Disneyland Tokyo a whirl. I've been thinking about doing the far Eastern Disney parks for a while and if VA had still been doing the Japan route I would have used my open ticket for it and definitely Hong Kong and even Shanghai in a single trip instead of the two and a half weeks I'd planned for Florida.

Bear in mind that only some US airports can accept international flights at present. From gov.uk:
The new restrictions limit the number of airports to which flights from international destinations can operate to the USA. The 13 airports are:
  • JFK (New York)
  • EWR (Newark)
  • IAD (Washington DC)
  • BOS (Boston)
  • ORD (Chicago)
  • DTW (Detroit)
  • MIA (Miami)
  • ATL (Atlanta)
  • DFW (Dallas)
  • LAX (Los Angeles)
  • SEA (Seattle)
  • SFO (San Francisco)
  • HNL (Honolulu)

MCO (Orlando) isn't there, so access is only via connecting flights. Until that changes there will not be any UK-Orlando direct flights.

Bear in mind that only some US airports can accept international flights at present. From gov.uk:
The new restrictions limit the number of airports to which flights from international destinations can operate to the USA. The 13 airports are:
  • JFK (New York)
  • EWR (Newark)
  • IAD (Washington DC)
  • BOS (Boston)
  • ORD (Chicago)
  • DTW (Detroit)
  • MIA (Miami)
  • ATL (Atlanta)
  • DFW (Dallas)
  • LAX (Los Angeles)
  • SEA (Seattle)
  • SFO (San Francisco)
  • HNL (Honolulu)

MCO (Orlando) isn't there, so access is only via connecting flights. Until that changes there will not be any UK-Orlando direct flights.
Thanks for the info.

Interesting bit in today's i newspaper from Simon Calder, who is probably the best travel writer out there. I wish I could find a link to it online, but, he is of the opinion that restrictions will be kept in place against Europeans because 'he (Trump) believes it plays well with his support base ahead of the November election' Although Mr Calder does add that if restrictions were lifted VA would stick to well established routes, including Orlando, personally I think it's unlikely and anyone with a reservation in 2020 in the UK or any country that is subject to these restrictions can wave ta ta to going this year, me included.

Interesting bit in today's i newspaper from Simon Calder, who is probably the best travel writer out there. I wish I could find a link to it online, but, he is of the opinion that restrictions will be kept in place against Europeans because 'he (Trump) believes it plays well with his support base ahead of the November election' Although Mr Calder does add that if restrictions were lifted VA would stick to well established routes, including Orlando, personally I think it's unlikely and anyone with a reservation in 2020 in the UK or any country that is subject to these restrictions can wave ta ta to going this year, me included.
I think you are probably correct. If we had a simple booking direct with Disney we would have cancelled by now, but we have three dvc rentals through David’s and will only get a voucher credit for them if the government restrictions prevent us from going now that the resorts have reopened... so just sitting and waiting now.

I think you are probably correct. If we had a simple booking direct with Disney we would have cancelled by now, but we have three dvc rentals through David’s and will only get a voucher credit for them if the government restrictions prevent us from going now that the resorts have reopened... so just sitting and waiting now.
I want to reschedule for late October-November 2021 now, I wish Disney would put those dates up so I can at least price those dates up.

nteresting bit in today's i newspaper from Simon Calder, who is probably the best travel writer out there. I wish I could find a link to it online, but, he is of the opinion that restrictions will be kept in place against Europeans because 'he (Trump) believes it plays well with his support base ahead of the November election' Although Mr Calder does add that if restrictions were lifted VA would stick to well established routes, including Orlando, personally I think it's unlikely and anyone with a reservation in 2020 in the UK or any country that is subject to these restrictions can wave ta ta to going this year, me included.
Yeah, I think you are right. I have the DW Marathon booked, and I think that is 50/50 right now at best.

Florida has just extended its state of emergency through to 5 Sept.
It could be curtailed but I can't see any leisure trips happening before then now, and probably not for a while after.

Florida has just extended its state of emergency through to 5 Sept.
It could be curtailed but I can't see any leisure trips happening before then now, and probably not for a while after.

Me neither. I had to pay my balance today, but I'm not expecting to go. On the bright side, if the trip doesn't happen, then the money I was supposed to use for the trip will go to pay off nearly all of my student loan (it's in Norway, so have to pay it off in full), and that means I'll be nearly debt free as that's the only debt I have :flower1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter