Anybody have any ideas as to when Splash will close?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Hill said 2024ish for Disneyland and later than that for WDW, and probably will take a year. So DLR could close as early as 2023 and WDW maybe 2024. He’s the closest thing to inside info we have on this one. That would fit reasonably well with the length of time a massive rebuild/redo takes to plan.
Latest from JH is that DLR and WDW have flipped priority due to COVID, and we’re looking at 2023 for Splash to close at WDW.

They might not actually close it until 2023 or 2024? The announcement was WAY premature then. Just a PR move. It never made any sense, just as budgets were being slashed and thousands of layoffs looming.

There's no way they didn't know that it wouldn't actually happen any time soon. The announcement made it seem as if it were -- implied it, within actually giving a timeline. But hey, they got all those headlines and whatnot.

They might not actually close it until 2023 or 2024? The announcement was WAY premature then. Just a PR move. It never made any sense, just as budgets were being slashed and thousands of layoffs looming.

There's no way they didn't know that it wouldn't actually happen any time soon. The announcement made it seem as if it were -- implied it, within actually giving a timeline. But hey, they got all those headlines and whatnot.
I don’t think anyone would argue that the timing of the announcement wasn’t intended to deal with negative PR. But why does that matter?

It would be nice if they would announce when they plan to close it, like they did when they let everyone know the Osborne Lights were in their last year. People could plan trips around riding it one more time. (I'm excited for the change, because I love the music in The Princess and The Frog, but I understand that people have nostalgia for the old ride).

It would be nice if they would announce when they plan to close it, like they did when they let everyone know the Osborne Lights were in their last year. People could plan trips around riding it one more time. (I'm excited for the change, because I love the music in The Princess and The Frog, but I understand that people have nostalgia for the old ride).
Oh I'm sure they will and they'll merchandise it insanely

I don’t think anyone would argue that the timing of the announcement wasn’t intended to deal with negative PR. But why does that matter?

A LOT of things were done for optics by a lot of companies around that time.... some of them well received and long overdue....others not so much. I'm making no judgment as to which one this was.... but:

Their announcement made it seem like the change would be imminent. It's actually what 3-4+ years away?
Just seems weird is all.

They made it sound like a priority, so it should be one. I guess it doesn't really matter though.

Agreed, but actually Disney may deserve some Kudo's here. They have been working design on this for quite a while, pressure finally came to push the decision, but then Covid, and work stoppage, so they took the opportunity to let consumers know they see the issue and plan to address it, but not have to rush in. Not saying they were trying to purposely evade, but folks would be more understanding now about delays, due to money shortages and covid concerns.

I still think they should do it at Disneyland where Splash really could use the change and it fits better with New Orleans Square, and then either keep the MK version basically the same (maybe some tweaks) or do something completely different with it.
Yeah it would fit DL better. I would suggest a Davy Crockett retheme for WDW instead but I get that they're looking for and need more diversity.

Last edited:
I still think they should do it at Disneyland where Splash really could use the change and it fits better with New Orleans Square, and then either keep the MK version basically the same (maybe some tweaks) or do something completely different with it.
Agree that HM and the existing NO Square fit perfectly with P&tF and you could also easily re-theme the HB Restaurant, but what about Pooh? Seems like that ride will be REALLY out of place once the re-theme is done.

Agree that HM and the existing NO Square fit perfectly with P&tF and you could also easily re-theme the HB Restaurant, but what about Pooh? Seems like that ride will be REALLY out of place once the re-theme is done.
I guess they’ll just have to retheme that too. Fine with me.

Heck it may never happen, Imagineering is a empty building now and the announcement was more for optics than a well thought out plan.

Heck it may never happen, Imagineering is a empty building now and the announcement was more for optics than a well thought out plan.

That’s not true. While imagineering did see layoffs, there are still imagineers employed by Disney, including the incredible Charita Carter who is leading this project.

Not to mention, 2 weeks ago Josh D’Amaro mentioned in IAAPA keynote that they are forging ahead and speeding up moving forward with the retheme. He literally addressed this 2 weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter