Anyone been on the Montana trip?

iujen94

DIS Veteran
Hi! I've been studying the 2018 itineraries, and the Montana trip (this is the one that includes "glamping" and Yellowstone, NOT the one that includes Canada) is at the top of my list. I understand this was a new trip last year, so I haven't been able to find any trip reports or reviews. Has anyone been on this trip who can give me any feedback? Also curious about the best time for this trip in terms of weather - we could go pretty much any time in July or the first half of August. We are a family of 4, with two very active boys who will be 12 and 14. Thanks!

Hi! I've been studying the 2018 itineraries, and the Montana trip (this is the one that includes "glamping" and Yellowstone, NOT the one that includes Canada) is at the top of my list. I understand this was a new trip last year, so I haven't been able to find any trip reports or reviews. Has anyone been on this trip who can give me any feedback? Also curious about the best time for this trip in terms of weather - we could go pretty much any time in July or the first half of August. We are a family of 4, with two very active boys who will be 12 and 14. Thanks!
I posted a similar question a few months ago looking for feedback on this trip. Still haven't found anyone who has done the trip. We were going to try to book for summer 2018, but for a variety of reasons now are hoping it sticks around until we could go in 2019. Hoping you get some answers -- I'm curious too.

My wife and I are booked for the 22 Aug 2018 Montana trip. Hope to see some new trip reports come in between now and then.

Hi! I've been studying the 2018 itineraries, and the Montana trip (this is the one that includes "glamping" and Yellowstone, NOT the one that includes Canada) is at the top of my list. I understand this was a new trip last year, so I haven't been able to find any trip reports or reviews. Has anyone been on this trip who can give me any feedback? Also curious about the best time for this trip in terms of weather - we could go pretty much any time in July or the first half of August. We are a family of 4, with two very active boys who will be 12 and 14. We went on this trip last year and I highly recommend. I went with my two daughters age 20 and 23 . The glamping was awesome the beds were comfortable great experience. Yellowstone was amazing

I have not been on the trip but I can address some questions as I am from the Billings, MT area so I am familiar with the weather. Early July is warm but as you get into late July and early August that is when the temps can get into the mid to high 90s with a few triple numbers. For those traveling in Early July if you can look at flying in early and spending some time in the Billings area including taking a days drive down to The Little Big Horn Battle Field to watch the reinactment of the battle ( Those who are older may recall this in their history books in school as being Custer's Last Stand) which is always around the 25th of June. For those traveling in August Crow Fair which the largest Native American Event in MT and one of the largest in the Nation is always around the 3rd weekend in August usually running Thursday to Monday with a Pow Wow, Rodeo, and other events. ( Be sure and have some fry bread which is best as an Indian Taco). There is also the Canyon Creek Battle Site Marker which is where the Nez Pierce under Chief Joseph fought on of the battles on the attempted escape to Canada ( there are also a few sites right in Yellowstone) located just a few miles N of Laurel along with the home of the last traditional Crow Chief Plenty Coups ( Coo) located at Pryor. There is not a direct flight from Billings to Bozeman but it is an easy 2 hour drive where you could return your rental to the airport there and then fly out of there to go home. Also if you fly into Billings we are only a few hours from the Black Hills ( I have made it in 4 hours via I-90 and US 212 ( with road construction including a bit that we had to be piloted through so had to wait 30 minutes and spending a good hour in the town of Lame Deer so that they could attempt to locate a friend of mine) from Billings to Spearfish sitting with my meal in front of me at a nice family cafe)
This year ( 2017) we have been having very unusual weather with the 2016-17 winter going way later than normal, much colder than normal and a lot more snow than normal, even with Easter being in mid April we were wondering if the kids were going to be doing egg hunting in the snow. We had a very short spring like weather of about 2 weeks and than straight into summer temps which lately have been around the low 70s ( normal this time of year is the low to mid 60s. I would be prepared for any weather and highly recommend being able to dress in layers. You won't need a heavy down jacket though. A hooded Sweatshirt with a Jeans Jacket over top and tossing on a rain poncho if it starts to rain is usually enough especially if you wear a t shirt under. With using layers it is easier to regulate how warm you are by adding or removing the layers as needed just have something that can keep you dry if needed. Due to high winds I do not recommend using an umbrella for this. Tip use a cord or even some rope to tie a rain poncho around your middle when around a campfire. I have seen it go from low to mid 90s to a foot of snow in a matter of hours in the mountains of MT even in the summer months and than back to warm tempatures. Usually most of the weather comes in from the West with some coming in from the North or Northwest and a slight amount from the SouthWest rarely do storms come in directly from the South or from an Easterly direction. Typically if you see clouds low in a v of the mountains in one of the directions you can expect rain within a matter of 45 minutes to a few hours especially if the wind is starting to pick up a bit.

We're going on the August 2 trip coming right up! 6 weeks!!! It's the Montana, Yellowstone trip. I was also looking for reviews, but will be happy to come back and report after we return. Hope it's a great trip! Just the 2 of us going. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter