Anyone else have this situation with ADR's?

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
DH refuses to make any. At work, his day is so scheduled ( meetings at certain times, phone conferences, etc.) So when he's on vacation he doesn't want to plan anything in advance. Fortunately, we're DVCers, regular visitors, so if we don't get into a certain resturant this trip, hopefully there's next time. For our trip in a couple weeks, we only have one dining ADR, and that's because I went ahead and booked one I really wanted, but I told DH that we could cancel if it didn't work with what we were doing. But when I hear people on this board talking about making all their reservations, I wonder if there's anyone else who has a DH who's allergic to making dining ADR's.

That would make me so crazy. I just schedule everything -- with a bit of input from DH on where he might like to try -- and that's about it.

But we (okay me) are planners - we plan out which park each day in advance, so making ADRs is just the next logical step.

We do cancel 1-2 while we're there usually.

:grouphug: for you though -- you're a better person than me!

I am a schedule freak too! My DH is the same way as yours. I make ADR's and end up canceling about half due to his desire to not agree with me.

Please his heart and your DH's too. They just don't get it!!!:lmao:

I am a dvc member (since 1994) and go once a year at the least and always made adrs. The past 5 years we have gone during xmas week and if we had not, we would have been left with counter-service most days. Almost every restaurant was turnign away any walk-ups so many folks like you were out of luck. I have cancelled on occasion when at wdw, but I would never venture there without adrs for our must-dos.

Connears

We make 1 TS ADR for each day of our vacation but then always end up canceling/moving to a different place. While I'm not big on ADR's, we use it as a "back up" plan if we need it.

I used to be a planner but between the family complaining and the decline in the food, I gave it up. And I've found I also prefer not having to vacation on a schedule. We are going in 3 weeks and I have 4 ADR's for 8 days and I bet we end up cancelling 2 of those too.

I am with the OPs husband on this one.

I schedule stages for a living. I bill them in tenths of an hour. If one mistake is made, it can really affect some features and TV shows.

The LAST thing I want on vacation is to schedule or be scheduled. I HATE having to have everything planned out in advance.

But, I do understand that if we want to eat in a certain restaurant on a certain day, I HAVE to do it. And stick to a schedule. It isn't fun having an ADR in Epcot when I've decided to go to AK.

So, we try and let my DH do the ADRs and I have the right to not do anything if I don't want to. We do cancel the ADRs a day or two in advance, so at least someone else can use them. But, it was also very nice on our last trip to eat at Le Cellier at dinner with an ADR.

I'm a planner.. I went when I was in school and nothing was planned and now that I know more about what if offered I don't know if I could go w/o things planned out and ADR 's JMO

In Oct., we're going with our younger DS & DDIL, who are not Disney nuts. They would probably be happy with more counter service anyway. When we went in December with older DS & DDIL, they wanted all the great table service restaurant experiences. We're going to make more ADR's than we'll probably use, but we'll cancel when it gets closer. (although, as we get closer to October, the older ones may talk to the younger ones and tell them great things about the restaurants.)

DH refuses to make any. At work, his day is so scheduled ( meetings at certain times, phone conferences, etc.) So when he's on vacation he doesn't want to plan anything in advance. Fortunately, we're DVCers, regular visitors, so if we don't get into a certain resturant this trip, hopefully there's next time. For our trip in a couple weeks, we only have one dining ADR, and that's because I went ahead and booked one I really wanted, but I told DH that we could cancel if it didn't work with what we were doing. But when I hear people on this board talking about making all their reservations, I wonder if there's anyone else who has a DH who's allergic to making dining ADR's.

Just remember that somewhere betweeen your DH's point of view and the approach of the majority of the folk who frequent these boards (read: planning obsessed), lies a happy balance. While making ADRs is certainly recommended if you want a specific restuarant on a certain day or within a narrowed-down timeframe on that day, there are even more people who just wing it by choice or out of ignorance and still have a great time. If you are looking for any of the most popular places or are going during a busy time, then yes, I would make a few.

It is also notably easier at present to obtain those reservations which were once so elusive. Many blame the economic downturn which may play a very small part, however my view is the QSDP has now been "tested" by guests over the last year+ and many have had the opportunity to try this out. It has clearly proved quite popular as they are still offering at an option. With an increased uptake of the QSDP for reasons including preference, financial issues, freedom to eat anywhere without planning and tiered free dining (public and pin codes), this has taken a certain degree of pressure off of the TS locations.

Reserve any Must-Do's but I think you will be okay. When are you going?

I am with the OPs husband on this one.

I schedule stages for a living. I bill them in tenths of an hour. If one mistake is made, it can really affect some features and TV shows.

The LAST thing I want on vacation is to schedule or be scheduled. I HATE having to have everything planned out in advance.

But, I do understand that if we want to eat in a certain restaurant on a certain day, I HAVE to do it. And stick to a schedule. It isn't fun having an ADR in Epcot when I've decided to go to AK.

So, we try and let my DH do the ADRs and I have the right to not do anything if I don't want to. We do cancel the ADRs a day or two in advance, so at least someone else can use them. But, it was also very nice on our last trip to eat at Le Cellier at dinner with an ADR.

At least I'm not alone in not being able to make ADRs. And to my DH's credit, he's not at all particular about where we eat. His attitude about the resturaunts at WDW is "So many great places to eat, so little time." He's pretty much happy wherever we eat.
And we're going 2 weeks from today-with 1 ADR made. DH was kind of hoping we might eat at the Biergarten one day, but if we can't get in there the day we're there, we'll go over to Beaches and Cream or Tangerine Cafe, 2 other places he loves.

If there's only two of you and you dont' have a dining plan and are flexible it's probably no problem unless you want Le Cellier or Chef Mickey's.

My dbf was the same way the first time we went to Disney. I scheduled adr's anyway because we were going during free dining. Once we were there and he saw walkups being turned away at several restaurants...he understood.

I'm still not allowed to plan every moment...but since food is important to him...I'm allowed to make dining adr's.

My DH is not a huge fan of scheduling and the major complaint on our last trip was not enough downtime and racing hither and yon to make TS ADRS.

However, he was a huge fan of my scheduling when we got into Epcot early and knocked Soarin', Test Track and Mission Space in the first hour and we passed the info board to show over an hour wait times for each of them while we leisurely finished future world. He noticed this and pointed it out to the kids and it really made my day and let me feel appreciated.

That said, he now understands it a bit and we compromise. I plan out either the first half of the day with a breakfast or lunch ADR on early EM hour days and leaving the afternoon and evening free to roam as we please or I plan out one special evening with a special ADR that usually corresponds to my favorite events - the MK night time parade and Wishes.

There is room for both and everyone is a little happier when the scheduling benefits them but doesn't make them feel overwhelmed.

Hope that's helpful and gives you some peace. :hippie:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter