Anyone else started Christmas shopping ?

One thing I'm looking to get this year is live wreaths. I always buy all of my direct reports a gift. It stresses me out every year for some reason. Last year my sister was talking about getting herself and our mom a live wreath each year and I decided that might be a great gift for them. I know it's really too early to buy yet, but when looking around, I see them offered at LL Bean, Harry and David and it seems like a couple other places.

I was wondering if anyone has ordered these in the past, where you got them from and if they were nice. Trying to plan ahead a bit. I'd love to pair the purchase with a cash back portal or something, but really, I just want to make sure that they deliver to each recipient and I'll be happy!
I'm allergic to live Christmas greenery. I used to have to stop going to church during Advent because they church decorated with live greenery. Are you sure none of your reports are allergic?

I was browsing those super soft throws on Kohls yesterday, but the seem to be something that you have to feel in person.

Almost every year, the Big One throw blankets go on sale for $8.99 on Thanksgiving/Black Friday. We actually have several of them for our dogs and they hold up really well to multiple washings (because, well, dogs) and stay very soft. They do make fabulous gifts.

I was browsing those super soft throws on Kohls yesterday, but the seem to be something that you have to feel in person. I was also surprised how many were dry clean only. My DD steals the one I keep in the living room for herself so I was thinking of getting her her own. Also maybe my niece that is a senior so she can take it to school next year, or maybe hold it until graduation. ....

I have bought quite a few of the soft throws from Kohls, and I will say the ones I bought like 5 or 6 years ago held up well, and I still use them for extra blankets they are a bit faded, my Grandson use's them to make a blanket fort or pallet on the floor, and we travel with one or two in the car.. the ones I bought last year, have been not so successful... I'm not sure if it just the ones I bought... they started shedding really bad, and started coming apart within the first 2 weeks... I ended up taking them back , to Kohls... The Customer Service lady well we have had a bunch of these returned... We always included these with the gifts for the Christmas Angels...and I am hoping that the ones we gave did not fall apart like the other ones... I am kinda reluctant to buy them at Kohls again... thoughts anyone?

My blankets from Kohls last year have held up fine, and I probably wash them at least every other week because of the pets and my children are disasters.

I went to Michaels yesterday with my SiL and found a bunch of expensive watercolor resist sets on clearance, and I bought 5 of them for my kiddos. Also found a decorate your own bath bomb set on clearance for my 7 year old, she got one for her birthday and she LOVED it, but$2.97 is way better than $15!

Also got some planner accessories for the big girls for cheap. So I've made a dent, at least.

It's so hard to figure out what to get for the big kids now, they're 12 (13 in January), 14, 15, 16 and they're not really.. into.. anything. Not clothes, makeup, not toys anymore. So it's hard to figure out what to find them. Last year for Christmas and their birthdays we got fun stuff for their bedrooms and repainted however they wanted. I've got to say, it's a lot more fun when they're littler!

I kind of like Christmas as they grow up. It's calmer, less rushed. We keep to our traditions but now my DD18 and I stay up late on Christmas Eve sipping hot chocolate and putting out gifts (in our house nothing goes under the tree till after everyone is asleep on Christmas Eve). We carefully and quietly shuffle about, nibbling on Santa's cookies, and enjoy just being together in the twinkling lights. I wait till she calls it a night to stuff her stocking but there is something magical about those hours spent hushed and huddled working together.

My DD18 doesn't really ask for much but I kind of like the challenge of finding what she will love. It is so much more fun when she has no idea what is coming and she cries all excited when I hit the nail on something she adores. I know her style, her frustrations, what makes her laugh, so I will try to come up with something that just helps make her life a little easier. If I ever got very stumped I was more than willing to talk to her friends to brainstorm ideas.

For my DS 13- he is so easy there is no challenge. Star Wars, Back to the Future, and Legos. Easy.

What can I say? I like a bit of a challenge.

I came back to the board just to read this thread - I love it every year!

I just finished shopping for DD20, unless I see a great deal come along on Black Friday. Mostly I just got stuff for a future apartment. She goes to the local university and normally lives at home, but with it online most of last semester, this semester and next, and her campus job gone until classes are back on campus, she's around the house much more than before and we are pretty sick of each other LOL (I started working from home permanently even before Covid) So she enjoys just dreaming of the day she gets out of here and likes looking at all the stuff she has ready to go as soon as she can :)

So far for her I have gotten: a pot/pan set, a good set of kitchen knives, a vacuum cleaner, a Ninja blender/food processor combo (she covets mine), some nice bath towels, and a dish set. Everything I found at good sales over the last few months. I could probably have saved a few dollars on a couple of items by waiting for Black Friday, but like other posters, I am concerned about shipping delays and store stock levels. I figured I'd rather just pay a few dollars more now for peace of mind later. And I don't think it would be more than a few dollars saved here and there.

DDs boyfriend (also 20) is also a constant figure in our house, here from early morning until late at night just about every day - his home life is a bit challenging, and he finds it more peaceful here at our house. He's been around for a year and a half now, and I suspect they'll be together for quite a while if not permanently, so he's pretty much my second child and gifts for him are in order too. I got him a plane ticket to come with DD and I to meet our extended family at Christmas (with his parent's ok), plus a new suitcase and a set of packing cubes.

Stocking stuffers I like to pick up all year long, when I have spare gift cards, Kohl's cash, etc. So I'm pretty much done there too - I have a few last ones coming in an Amazon package this weekend. I got mostly beauty products for DD (face masks, body wash, scrubs, etc), and I got a few random items for the boyfriend that DD helped me pick out. I like to get items small enough to fit in a stocking, but big enough to fill it out nicely - the cost-stocking fullness ratio on items like gift cards and jewelry is really bad so I don't go for that sort of thing. Although a $100 bill may find it's way into DDs stocking - it depends on if I buy anything else for her...

The one thing I'll pick up after Thanksgiving is candy for the stockings - if I buy it now, I'll just eat it ;)

As far as extended family, my nephews (23, 20) get cash - easy peasy. I just have to figure out whether to go to the bank and get actual cash, or to write a check. And my siblings and I just have a gag gift exchange, I have ideas queued up, and several items even stashed away, so that will be quick once I know whose name I have.

Last edited:

Op here...

I haven't really done any shopping this week, toward Christmas gift giving... I did however spend my time wisely, I got my list together, and talked it over with DH, to see what he thought about what I was planning... he was like sounds good... a couple of the bigger items, we will go together and pick up, the rest he leaves up to me...

I finished "The Manadalorian", "No Sew" blanket that I picked up a week or so ago at Joann's... It turned out pretty dang sweet, if I say so myself :cool1: ...Now I have decided to make a couple of pillow cases to go along with it... I just have to run to Joanns and pick up some fabric... I also am going to make some masks for everyone's stockings...I wasn't going to yet since all this is still going on, I figure... a few cute ones, will make it easier... So... Star Wars and Marvel, Lego, Minions, Disney of course- Princess, and Mickey and Minnie for sure, maybe a few with fish, outdoors.

I was at BJ's warehouse yesterday... I did pick up some really nice Halloween books to go into my grandson's Halloween bag that I am making for him... They both were like around 5.00 ish. They had some really cute Halloween and Thanksgiving shirts, and they were like 8.99 or 9.99... unfortunately, they were all long sleeves... Which here is a no go it was in the 90's...

Last Friday, DH and I went to Epcot for the day, and to check out Food and Wine... The passholder merchandise is sooooo dang cute... at the end of the evening... We decided on the "Olive to Cook" Mickey head serving tray, 2 of salt and pepper shakers, and the Mickey and Minnie glasses that were offered.. everything is just so cute... Then on Sunday, we decided to go to Disney Springs. Every year we make a date day, and head to Disney Spring and the Christmas shop to buy a new Mickey and Minnie ornament for our Christmas tree... we normally end up with at least 2 new ones... this year we ended up with 4 ornaments, and the Mickey Train set ... we have looked and looked at this for years now, and just never would pull the trigger... We did it this year... Yay... We had planned to go into the World of Disney, and the line and wait was at around 45 minutes, and it was starting to sprinkle... So we called it a day and headed home...

Next week I really have to get myself in gear and get some things done... We have alot of stuff coming up, and I have at least 8 doctors appointments to take my parents to between the last 2 week of October and the first 2 weeks in November... As well we are going on Vacation for a week, and I will be watching my grandson when they are out of school for Thanksgiving break... then cooking Thanksgiving... black friday...
Ohhhh Myyyyyy :scared1::crazy2: LOL..

I’ve started. Lego sets for my twins. Older dd—a few books on her list. Stockings are started—Christmas lip balms, Christmas hand soap, small Lego sets. Pjs for the three kids. It’s a start. Keeping it simple this year though—chocolate and cash for all outgoing gifts.

I am down to 13 gifts to buy. These are the little ones for the aunts/uncles. I kicked butt on Thursday at Woodbury Commons. My DD is finished and to make things even, I need to buy a couple things for my DS.

I have a really long list, so being down to 13 is amazing for me.

Disney Store didn't mention that the $50 I had in Disney Dollars (like Kohls dollars) were only good individually ($25 at a time) for every $50 I spent. So, I gave my second one to the lady behind me. I won't be near a Disney Store again before they expire and so she reaped the benefits of my bounty.

My DH even bought me a new chef's knife that he'll be surprised that he bought for me on Christmas morning. lol

Bought my Dad a Sound Bar for the TV. Hope it helps - it go good reviews and made by people who make hearing aids, so will drown out more of the background noise so you can actually hear what is being said. Dad is hard of hearing (and still in denial about it). Told DS21 I needed more items on his list as he doesn't have much. He wants one of those Big Joe XL Bean Bag Chairs. So, will get that - will have to store it work though. No where to hide that one.

Did good today. Went to Vera Bradley and picked up a blanket and robe for DS girl friend. Hit Coach and picked up a wristlet for her as well as her Birthday is November. She is now done. Got DD some boxers she wanted for summer camp at American Eagle, candles at Bath and Body and a coat for DH at North Face. Then we hit Home Goods and Marshalls and I grabbed a few things for me as I do the shopping for my FIL since MIL has passed away.

I'm really at a loss of what to get for my teens. I know my DS14 wants a PC but that will all depend on what goes on sale during the holidays. I got one for my DS16 last year but it did need some upgrading and my dad had to take care of that for me, due to COVID my parents are not traveling at all.

But I have DD17, DS16, and DS14 to figure things out for. I already have a bunch of giftcards to stores that DD likes, she can shop post-Christmas sales. She is my only materialistic child. The boys don't care about things at all, and they don't really care about clothes either. Both are video game junkies.

Both are video game junkies.

Have you thought about a Steam Store gift card? Steam is an online game store and they can use the gift card to buy whatever they want to download there.

I also found out recently that many software/game developers have online merchandise stores so if you happen to know what your son's favourite games are you could possibly get them items from one of these. For example, here is the link for the Ubisoft store. They have a new game coming out soon called WatchDogs Legion and next spring a new game in the Far Cry series
https://merch.ubisoft.com/
As well, online stores like Red Bubble often have stickers for laptops that are kind of cool. Last year I ordered my son some Persona (his favourite game at the time) buttons and stickers and he really liked them. The only problem was I had to worm out of him who and what he liked about the game so that I could order the right stuff.

All I've gotten are Christmas pjs for the family (my mom, my sister, me, DH, DS13, DS9 and our dog). I'm having the same trouble other posters are having. I'm having trouble figuring out what to buy. DS9 has suddenly decided that he doesn't like Pokemon anymore so there goes my plan to buy him booster packs for his stocking. DS13 has only expressed interest in an Apple pencil. Those are expensive so that will be his main gift. Neither is into clothes or sports.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!