Anyone else tired of all the airlines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP, I'm sorry certain posters are being unhelpful and piling on. It happens a lot on these boards. Don't let it get you down.

I got minimum coverage on my car because it was the cheapest option. Well, the total damage exceeds my coverage amounts and the insurance company won’t pay the difference. It’s really terrible customer service.

I got minimum coverage on my car because it was the cheapest option. Well, the total damage exceeds my coverage amounts and the insurance company won’t pay the difference. It’s really terrible customer service.

Another silly analogy. You're comparing a situation that would cost the insurance company money with one that wouldn't cost the airline anything, unless, as I already stated, the flight was sold out.

This is why we fly Southwest only. Decided to use Delta for a friend's wedding, as it was the cheapest option and WOW terrible from start to finish. I'd rather just pay a little more and change planes than ever deal with them again.

Buy a travel insurance policy that covers flight changes. It’s been the way it is for as long as I’ve been flying. If you don’t want to pay it, then don’t fly. Do you not know when the vacations are when you book? Or do they change?

This is why we fly Southwest only. Decided to use Delta for a friend's wedding, as it was the cheapest option and WOW terrible from start to finish. I'd rather just pay a little more and change planes than ever deal with them again.

Southwest is the best when they fly direct. This is a route they don't fly direct, and the price was crazy. But yeah, if it's an option, always Southwest.

Another silly analogy. You're comparing a situation that would cost the insurance company money with one that wouldn't cost the airline anything, unless, as I already stated, the flight was sold out.

No. You are dealing with a perishable service that has a limited amount of time to sell. Prices are adjusted with demand. You said you paid $640 for 4 or $160 per person round trip. That is cheap. That’s probably why you chose them and not because they are going to lose a loyal customer. A new A320 has a list price of $100 million. Nothing about an airline is cheap.

You chose your fare because it was cheaper but now want them to accommodate you because you don’t want to live with the consequences of your decisions.

Buy a travel insurance policy that covers flight changes. It’s been the way it is for as long as I’ve been flying. If you don’t want to pay it, then don’t fly. Do you not know when the vacations are when you book? Or do they change?

Nah, just a few things came up. Found out someone else wanted to take vacation the same week I took, and I wanted to try and solve the problem for everyone. Plus, as I mentioned, given the amount of closures, I'd have no problem going a few months later.

No. You are dealing with a perishable service that has a limited amount of time to sell. Prices are adjusted with demand. You said you paid $640 for 4 or $160 per person round trip. That is cheap. That’s probably why you chose them and not because they are going to lose a loyal customer. A new A320 has a list price of $100 million. Nothing about an airline is cheap.

You chose your fare because it was cheaper but now want them to accommodate you because you don’t want to live with the consequences of your decisions.

No, I said the cost to change would be $1,200. With the new JetBlue fare options (not available when I bought) it would have only cost me $640.

Guess I'm alone in this one. I've worked in some sort of customer service roll all of my life. I guess I've been fortunate to work for comapnies who will do whatever they can to help their customers. I've always believed that I'd rather lose a dollar than lose a customer. What bewilders me with the airline industry is there's no money to lose. If you have 4 tickets and there are still 4 seats on the flight you want to change from, I've never understood what the problem is. If it's a sold out flight, yeah, in that case, I can see the issue. But then again, I'm not in the travel industry. I've always worked with goods and services. I used to work at a Best Buy type place in my teens. If someone wanted to buy a TV, there weren't different levels to purchase in case you needed to return it.

I also have worked in customer my entire life and while I see your point, I also think that when you purchased the fare you agreed to the conditions of the purchase, so you were aware. Trying to change your mind now is not their problem. They have the right to charge the fees.

Guess I'm alone in this one. I've worked in some sort of customer service roll all of my life. I guess I've been fortunate to work for comapnies who will do whatever they can to help their customers.

I am right there with you!
When we started flying Jetblue, you could change your flight without a fee and could get a credit if the price of the flight dropped.
We've been flying Southwest the past year or so because they still let you do that even with the lowest priced fare and include a checked bag.
I wish Southwest would let you pay a fee to choose your seat ahead of time!
We are definitely looking forward to more road trips when our Disney annual pass expires.

LOL, Hardly.
I've yet to see a business, a for profit one, not you know, make a profit when and where they can.
Would it be bad if they charged fees but didn't disclose them, heck yes.
Is is bad they charge one and make it very clear before booking that they are, nope.
I'm not about to drive instead of fly.
They've dropped their fares to beat driving most of the time. That more than makes up for fees.
Besides, it's not their fault you changed your mind. If you aren't sure of your dates, then book Southwest

Guess I'm alone in this one. I've worked in some sort of customer service roll all of my life. I guess I've been fortunate to work for comapnies who will do whatever they can to help their customers. I've always believed that I'd rather lose a dollar than lose a customer. What bewilders me with the airline industry is there's no money to lose. If you have 4 tickets and there are still 4 seats on the flight you want to change from, I've never understood what the problem is. If it's a sold out flight, yeah, in that case, I can see the issue. But then again, I'm not in the travel industry. I've always worked with goods and services. I used to work at a Best Buy type place in my teens. If someone wanted to buy a TV, there weren't different levels to purchase in case you needed to return it.
Because you had those 4 seats booked and if someone else wanted them then they lost that sale. What happens if those 4 seats never get rebooked by anyone? All because you changed your mind. They want confirmed seats and if you want out of them, well, you pay for it. I totally see it and as someone who runs a business it should be pretty obvious that anyone unsold is bad for business. The customer is NOT always right. CS agents should realize that more than anyone

Because you had those 4 seats booked and if someone else wanted them then they lost that sale. What happens if those 4 seats never get rebooked by anyone? All because you changed your mind. They want confirmed seats and if you want out of them, well, you pay for it. I totally see it and as someone who runs a business it should be pretty obvious that anyone unsold is bad for business. The customer is NOT always right. CS agents should realize that more than anyone

I get that. BUT, what if they still had 4 seats not sold on the flight I'm on? It's costing them nothing. That's the whole thing to me. If I was on a sold out flight, I totally get it. But there's still about 80 seats open on my flight.

Have you ever looked at most flights available seats? They are often fairly sold out. Your seat you decide you don't want was probably wanted by someone who, when they couldn't buy it, went somewhere else. Another airline even. So yeah, it costs them money for you to back out of your agreed to purchase

I get that. BUT, what if they still had 4 seats not sold on the flight I'm on? It's costing them nothing. That's the whole thing to me. If I was on a sold out flight, I totally get it. But there's still about 30 seats open on my flight.
Thing is, you don't know. It is costing them something. Even Disney charges you a fee if you cancel within a certain window. Because, your reservation was a hold on a spot and you gave it up. You don't know what that hold cost them in lost business.

Have you ever looked at most flights available seats? They are often fairly sold out. Your seat you decide you don't want was probably wanted by someone who, when they couldn't buy it, went somewhere else. Another airline even. So yeah, it costs them money for you to back out of your agreed to purchase

In this case, I think they'd be OK.

In addition, you aren't accounting for their pricing structure on their seats.
They sell X number at Y amount, then another number at another amount, and so forth.
If you buy the last few at the lower amount then you take the seat that someone else could have bought. They don't like the next price so they move on to another airline. There, you've cost the airline a sale, even without a sold out airplane.

Now, that may be something else you will be against, tiered pricing. But, it's what they do to give affordable airfare these days. Some seats go at a loss, others they make money on (most clearly, since they are for profit companies)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!