Anyone ever purchased vacation at villas on e-Bay?

ss0414

Mouseketeer
I have been researching renting from DVC members through this board and came across a few rentals on e-bay. Why would a DVC member list on e-bay and not here? Has anyone ever purchased a vacation at the villas from a DVC member on E-bay?
Also, if a member places the reservation in purchaser's name, can they then change it? Could one arrive in Disney and be out of a reservation without knowing?
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I have been rearching renting from DVC members through this board and came across a few rentals on e-bay. Why would a DVC member list on e-bay and not here? Has anyone ever purchased a vacation at the villas from a DVC member on E-bay?
Also, if a member places the reservation in purchaser's name, can they then change it? Could one arrive in Disney and be out of a reservation without knowing?
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

A lot of folks rent on ebay for several reasons, the ability to do credit cards through paypal, and many ebay rentals charge higher rates.

A member always has control of the reservation and can cancel it or change the name at any time, though it rarely happens. Renting is basically a matter of trust on both the part of the renter and the owner, that is why renting is a great deal cheaper than identical cash ressies though Disney. Disney will NOT become involved if the deal goes sour, nor will DVC confirm the reservation or have any other communications with the renter.

I have been rearching renting from DVC members through this board and came across a few rentals on e-bay. Why would a DVC member list on e-bay and not here?
Because they can get higher prices on eBay. If you research carefully and determine the number of points required for a particular accommodation at a specific time, you'll find the eBay folks are charging several dollars a point more than the folks here. The DIS Rent/Trade board tends to be the Bargain Basement of renting.

I don't rent, but my personal opinion is that people who rent on the DIS usually rent somewhat too low. I think the eBay prices are more in line with the real value of the vacation.
Has anyone ever purchased a vacation at the villas from a DVC member on E-bay?
I have not, so I'll leave this question for those who have.
Yes, but I've never heard of that happening. The only situations where I've heard of an owner cancelling a reservation have been for non-payment. But yes, it is possible. Renting is based on trust by both parties.

Thanks for the quick responses.
This may be too specific of a question, but this is the most informative disney board around and I'll take my chances.....
From what I see, 1 b/d @ the BW is 218 points for a choice week....how would I determine the value of that vacation as a non-member...would I assume the average point sells for $10-12, and expect someone to auction that for at least $2180? If the Disney rate is $3780 for the same week, seems like the initiating bid is a little low...
I am so afraid of a scam. I know only I can determine what risk I am willing to take, but I keep feeling that if it's too good to be true, it's too good to be true.
One last question, if DVC won't speak to the renter, how does one confirm their reservation prior to arrival?
thank you, thank you.....

Thanks for the quick responses.
This may be too specific of a question, but this is the most informative disney board around and I'll take my chances.....
From what I see, 1 b/d @ the BW is 218 points for a choice week....how would I determine the value of that vacation as a non-member...would I assume the average point sells for $10-12, and expect someone to auction that for at least $2180? If the Disney rate is $3780 for the same week, seems like the initiating bid is a little low...
I am so afraid of a scam. I know only I can determine what risk I am willing to take, but I keep feeling that if it's too good to be true, it's too good to be true.
One last question, if DVC won't speak to the renter, how does one confirm their reservation prior to arrival?
thank you, thank you.....

I think $10 to $12 per point would be a good, average range, unless the person is up against a use year window and might lose the ponts (then it would be a little less).

There is no way to confirm the reservation, other than the member sending you a copy of the written confirmation that they receive, showing the reservation in your name. But again, the member still controls that reservation and can change it at anytime

I don't think it's too good to be true. The reason the prices are so different is there are significant differences in the reservations -- even if they are exactly the same room for the same dates. For example:
  • With a DVC stay, there are very significant differences in cancellation penalties. If your plans change, the owner who rented you the vacation may have no ability to help you -- you may just be out the money.
  • You will not have daily housekeeping.
  • Availability may be more limited for DVC accommodations because most DVC folks book far in advance.
  • All of your dealings are between you and the owner who is renting to you. Neither DVC nor the DIS will become involved in any disputes you may have, so you're on your own.
There's a good bit of variance here, because it depends on the DVC owner. One way to do it is to make the reservation (and DME, DDP etc arrangements) by conference call. That way, you are involved in the conversation and can give input. The owner should also provide you with the confirmation number, and many owners will also send you a photocopy of the confirmation letter when they receive it (several weeks after making the ressie). None of that really protects you from crooks -- but as stated above, we haven't seen actual incidents of owners cancelling reservations out from under renters...except when the renters have not paid or have bounced checks.

Thank you, thank you soooo much. Certainly helps me to make an informed decision.
Take care!

DH and I rented a m-th night vacation on ebay last year for our honeymoon. It worked out well, but was not without anxiety until we got there and everything was great. The seller emailed me about 3 weeks before our wedding demanding the full payment for the vacation even though they had cashed our payment in full 10 months earlier. I told them to double check their records and got a copy of the cashed check from the bank and all was well.

That said, in the future, I would rent, but on the disboards. It's much cheaper than ebay. I paid about 15-17 dollars/point on ebay and on here it would have been 10-12, but I didnt' even know about the disboards then.

I rented via Ebay last May for a Sun - Thurs stay at SSR. I was between two different sellers and after speaking to both sellers on the phone, I went with the one I felt more comfortable with. I paid $11/pt.

In fact, after I rented, my cousin wanted to go too and was able to rent from the same person and we went on vacation together.

Payment wasn't due until I received the confirmation in the mail. I sent a check along with the contract that the seller provided. If I didn't buy AKV, I probably would rent again.

The big difference between now and then is the fact that non-members are no longer allowed to speak to MS.

I'd still feel comfortable renting from ebay if I needed to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter