Anyone from Nashville, the Ag Center held me hostage last night!!!

nighttowll

DIS Veteran
Oh my gosh!!!! If you are thinking of going to see the Jellystone lights, just say no. I now feel I understand what it’s like to wait standby to ride FOP! But at least with FOP, you get a warning and can leave if you change your mind. I really feel there should have been a wait time posted.

The traffic was backed up all the way onto 40. The other direction through town was worse.

When we finally made it to the entrance, you could see you needed to go left to pay, but they were sending traffic to the right. I thought ok, we are just going to loop around a little parking lot or something. Nope. You can’t see to the right because of the trees, but once I turned I was able to see I was in this long line of cars that stretched out as far as I could see. It appeared to turn and loop back at the very end. Wrong. Once, you got all the way to the end, you turned again onto an even longer section of road, again hidden by trees. This pattern continued for almost 3 hours. To clarify, that was a 3 hour wait once there, 3 hours waiting to pay to go through the 30 minute light show.

The worse part was, there was no way to get out of line. Once you got in line, you were stuck. I would have left if I could have.

They had two lanes of cars on what should have been a one lane gravel road. The cars in the lane beside me were so close. I was worried we were going to scrape or hit mirrors. The car in front of me kept having to drive with half their wheels off the road. Luckily, I have a smaller car and was able to stay on the road, but there were a few places were the side of the road really dropped off into like a 3 foot ditch. This made me so nervous since it was hard to keep both wheels on the road and not hit the car beside you.

It never occurred to me it would be like this. We’ve gone almost every year when it was at the campground and never waited once. We were always in and out in about 30 minutes.

There was just no magic in it this year for us. I won’t be back. We just didn’t enjoy it like we used to.

The lights were more spread out, not as close together as they were in the small campground space, and it just didn’t have the same effect.

Also, I felt like we were being rushed through. There were workers directing traffic waving lighted battens at you to keep cars moving or get them going faster, and with so many cars waiting to go through behind us, it felt wrong to linger at all. I understand the need for this, but it took something away. We never had to rush at the old campground. We were free to stop, park the car for a bit, really take in our favorite parts, and it didn’t impact anyone else because there wasn’t a line behind us. If someone did come along, you just scooted our of the way and let them past.

The other thing I missed was having the parking area for Santa’s village overlooking the lights. We’d always stop, get hot chocolate and snacks, and just enjoy the show from the parking lot a little longer after we drove through. Due to the new set up, that is no longer possible.

Anyone else miss the old lights?

Yes. It’s in Lebanon now.

They were forced to move because the city claimed it was making Briley Parkway too congested! Ridiculous. The hotel and mall do that all by themselves. Most people didn’t even realize it was over there since it was down that side street and not visible to most tourists. I really think the hotel just went after the little guy because they didn’t like the competition. They tried their hardest to shut them down completely, but the Ag Center stepped in and offered to host the show, so they moved it all out there.

I thought being away from the Opry Christmas mess would make going to see the show easier, not worse. Boy was I wrong. I could have gone to see the lights at the hotel, and it would have been faster, less congested, and free! And that’s saying something, since that area is an awful mess between Thanksgiving and New Years.

I live in Nashville and have off and on my entire life and never heard of this, so I guess I'm safe! I'm not much of the holidays though. Sorry you had such a crappy experience though. I am either with my folks in Murfreesboro or in my hood of east Nashville. Sometimes I go to the gulch or 12th. I'm insulated...lol!

We were in Murfreesboro yesterday to see the Bethlehem Marketplace. I thought it’d be a fun way to end the day to take 840 up to Lebanon and see the lights before heading home. We live 2 hours away from Nashville, so this was just supposed to be a fun Christmas themed day trip for us. I thought we’d be done by 6:00 at the latest. I wasn’t planning to get home at midnight. I had a friend with me, and she lives another hour past my house. I felt so horrible for suggesting to her we do this. I really had no idea. I don’t think she got home until about 1:00 am.

We only did this once. We went a couple of years ago so it was still at the campground. We went on a weekend night and it was very crowded but not like what you experienced. The traffic backed way up on the access road but not three hours worth.

We were in Murfreesboro yesterday to see the Bethlehem Marketplace. I thought it’d be a fun way to end the day to take 840 up to Lebanon and see the lights before heading home. We live 2 hours away from Nashville, so this was just supposed to be a fun Christmas themed day trip for us. I thought we’d be done by 6:00 at the latest. I wasn’t planning to get home at midnight. I had a friend with me, and she lives another hour past my house. I felt so horrible for suggesting to her we do this. I really had no idea. I don’t think she got home until about 1:00 am.
Live and learn, I guess. Sounds like it sucked. :flower3: I hope today was a better day for you.

It wouldn’t have been so bad if I had known what I was getting into and didn’t have my friends with me. They’ve never really been to the Nashville area before, so I was showing them around and stuff. I’ve lived in and around Nashville off and on my whole life, so I’m pretty familiar with it. My friends really didn’t want to get home late, and we talked about not doing the lights at all, so they could get on the road to get home early. But after I told them it wouldn’t take long to see the lights, they changed their mind. I just felt so horrible for suggesting we do it after we got stuck. At least they did enjoy the show. They had never seen anything like that before being from a small town, so that was a plus. And since they’d never seen the old show, they didn’t really know what they were missing.

I'd freak out being stuck in traffic for 6 hours. I have been to Nashville a couple of time and thought it was great! Good thing I didn't queue for that light thing.

Maybe a weeknight might be better, but I’d call and get a wait time before trying. I learned my lesson.

Thanks for the info! I definitely won't be checking that out! I would drive by the old location on my way to and from work. I have to say, it does get crazy congested in that area this time of year. I always felt bad for the homes around that area. I would hate to have deal with that nightmare traffic during the holiday season.

Yep, I think Yogi is the mascot. It’s a small chain of campgrounds. I believe they have some in Fl as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter