Anyone know anything about Crepe Myrtles?

bsnyder

DIS Veteran
We planted one in our front yard last year, sometime in the fall, but I can't remember exactly what month.

It's still completely bare. Spring has definitely sprung around here, and I"m suprised there's no leaves on it at all yet. Does anyone know if this is unusual?

If I remember correctly, I believe our's are still bare, too.
Our azaleas are beginning to bloom, though!:)
Kim

LuvN~Travel said:
If I remember correctly, I believe our's are still bare, too.
Our azaleas are beginning to bloom, though!:)
Kim

That's good to know that ours isn't the only one.

Our azaleas look fantastic, and everything else is green as can be. And weeds are popping up like wildfire....so Spring is definitely here. But the Crepe Myrtle looks sad....

No buds on mine either. Poor sad looking thing! Can't wait till it flowers and looks pretty again!

:)

Our azalias are done, and the crepe murtles in our area are still leafless. We did not have much of a winter, so I know the trees are not dead.

They cut all the crepe myrtles in our area down FAR. The next week they were sprouting leaves! I think you have to really cut them back in the spring.

They are some of the last things to bud....don't worry it will be fine....I have several in my yard. I am in OK and it won't get leaves for quite some time still...

I believe that crepe myrtles bloom in late june/july--they should be getting the green soon

bsnyder said:
We planted one in our front yard last year, sometime in the fall, but I can't remember exactly what month.

It's still completely bare. Spring has definitely sprung around here, and I"m suprised there's no leaves on it at all yet. Does anyone know if this is unusual?

Well, I have one waaaaay up here in PA. Buds in June, flowers in July thru September.

CMs are my DH's favorite trees....we have two in our yard. He just pruned them a month ago and they will bloom in the summer and continue to bloom until the Fall. They are beautiful!

Mine is still naked, too. My azaleas are putting out little green leaves, one of them looks very, very sick, though. I think I might put it out of its' misery this weekend.

It just got warm here last week, though.

I saw them in TN in July last year in full bloom so they are very late to bloom.

Wish we had them here :sad:

DebºoºS said:
I saw them in TN in July last year in full bloom so they are very late to bloom.

Wish we had them here :sad:

Don't know why you can't have them. People in Florida have them and I am in PA. You are in the middle. They may not be native, but I would think they could grow just fine.

Papa Deuce, You are right! :wave: I always thought it wouldn't grow here but after your suggestion and a little research I just found that they are growing at Dukes Garden right here in my area. Now I just need to find a place that has them locally.
http://www.njskylands.com/atdukgar.htm

I'm glad I stumbled across this thread! I was begining to wonder if my CM was dead! I guess I'll give it a little longer and see if it finally starts to get back some leaves...

I live in Central GA and we have the tiniest little green buds on ours now. Can't wait for the summer...they are so beautiful!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter