Anyone ready to head to the parking lots...

Pluto777

DIS Veteran
-and start taking up a collection of nickels and dimes from the non-members to help lower our MF's? ; ) Seriously though, I am wondering if any of the new parking fee effect DVC dues or does the money only go to Disney? Will the parking fees paid by non-DVC members help us DVC folks by lowering our dues? Even if it is, I wonder if the amount wont be so small anyway, that it will have an almost negligable effect...

My guess is they determine what percentage of the parking lot is used by DVC guest vs. resort guests (probably similar for pool, front desk, housekeeping, and other common area resources) and split the upkeep costs along that percentage. Since the resort parking belongs to TWDC, I'd guess any profit from the park fee goes directly to TWDC.

As a member of DVC I won't have to pay, but I do have a stake in the success of WDW, I really hope they know what they are doing. I am hearing a lot of grumbling about the parking fees. I understand charging parking fees to non-guests so that you dont have people avoiding parking fees at the parks and hoppping off, thus crowding) the parking lots at the hotels, HOWEVER, to charge a paying guest who is already staying onsite an additional fee may not be wise. Though I would love to sit out in the lot with my little cup and collect parking revenue :), I worry that this now creates an incentive for people to stay offsite. After all, one of the perks of getting guests to stay onsite was supposed to be the free parking wasn't it? If that goes out the window, I worry a budget conscious family may decide to stay elsewhere. If I was in charge, I would charge a parking fee to anyone who parks at the resorts, but NOT if they were staying as a guest there.

With the parking fees information being removed from Disney World's main site, and replaced by the old information, I wonder if they really are backing off on this charge. It would be a bad look for them to announce a fee and then rescind it, but it could be better overall for Disney than just leaving the fee in place.
Every other price increase has had both naysayers and people who have understood the logic behind it. When ticket prices increase, people don't like it but they understand that it is due to high demand and overcrowding in the parks. Charging to park at hotels when you own countless acres of land, and you then get to park at the parks for free, just comes across as a money grab. I have never heard of people having to fight for a parking spot at Pop Century.

I think the big question was why they weren't charging day guests for parking at the resorts! I'm sure that the CM's got an ear full of people complaining how they were paying for a stay at a resort and had to drive around looking for a parking space, while watching another vehicle park and see people head right to the parks to avoid paying for parking for the theme parks.

With the parking fees information being removed from Disney World's main site, and replaced by the old information, I wonder if they really are backing off on this charge. It would be a bad look for them to announce a fee and then rescind it, but it could be better overall for Disney than just leaving the fee in place.
Every other price increase has had both naysayers and people who have understood the logic behind it. When ticket prices increase, people don't like it but they understand that it is due to high demand and overcrowding in the parks. Charging to park at hotels when you own countless acres of land, and you then get to park at the parks for free, just comes across as a money grab. I have never heard of people having to fight for a parking spot at Pop Century.

And it looks like it's back...

As a member of DVC I won't have to pay, but I do have a stake in the success of WDW, I really hope they know what they are doing. I am hearing a lot of grumbling about the parking fees. I understand charging parking fees to non-guests so that you dont have people avoiding parking fees at the parks and hoppping off, thus crowding) the parking lots at the hotels, HOWEVER, to charge a paying guest who is already staying onsite an additional fee may not be wise. Though I would love to sit out in the lot with my little cup and collect parking revenue :), I worry that this now creates an incentive for people to stay offsite. After all, one of the perks of getting guests to stay onsite was supposed to be the free parking wasn't it? If that goes out the window, I worry a budget conscious family may decide to stay elsewhere. If I was in charge, I would charge a parking fee to anyone who parks at the resorts, but NOT if they were staying as a guest there.

I agree, just charge any and all day visitors. If they really are "dining, shopping and participating in experiences" then they can have their parking ticket validated and receive a refund. But that's not going to reliably net them the highest amount of money so they are going with the easier thing of course. As someone in charge of "finding departmental revenue" it's rather frustrating to think about things we have offered to our customers as a part of purchase that now may become paid add-ons. All it does is drive the customer away.

I think the big question was why they weren't charging day guests for parking at the resorts! I'm sure that the CM's got an ear full of people complaining how they were paying for a stay at a resort and had to drive around looking for a parking space, while watching another vehicle park and see people head right to the parks to avoid paying for parking for the theme parks.
Absolutely right! At the very least Disney might respond with a tiered system? A small token amount for resort guests ($2 a day?), but a major charge for offsite cars using their parking ($25 a day?). This way you still encourage onsite stays, but limit an abuse of the system to avoid overcrowding...

Assuming it is free to park at DS (is it)? if someone is REALLY desperate to avoid parking fees, couldn't they park at Disney Springs, than take buses to parks? Obviously this would take a LOT of time and be a headache, but if you're a family on a budget staying at a value resort for a week or two, and wont need the car while your there anyhow, maybe this could save you from 2 weeks of fees?

Assuming it is free to park at DS (is it)? if someone is REALLY desperate to avoid parking fees, couldn't they park at Disney Springs, than take buses to parks? Obviously this would take a LOT of time and be a headache, but if you're a family on a budget staying at a value resort for a week or two, and wont need the car while your there anyhow, maybe this could save you from 2 weeks of fees?

I don't think they allow overnight parking at DS.

Ooops, so much for that one... I guess the next step for those on a budget staying for a while is to park miles away in a residential neighborhood with free parking, take public transportation to DS, then hop a bus to a park, then another one to your resort!! Maybe just drop off the wife and kids at the hotel and tell them 'I have to go park the car honey, I'll see you in a few hours!' :hyper2:

- OR maybe Disney could open a 'generic lot' for guests staying in any onsite resort only, in some remote area and provide a bus back for them? This way they still give onsite guests an option to park closer for a premium, but still give a break to the budget conscious and reward them for still choosing onsite?

They don't have any buses directly to the parks so even if someone parked at DS, they'd have to transfer to a resort then to the parks. While there are some people willing to spend all kinds of time and effort to save a few bucks, most people will just eat the cost because it's easier. That's what WDW banks on: reliable source of revenue not tied to food, beverage, and merchandise. It's pretty smart on their end (bad for the consumer of course) because they can rely on money coming in without doing much extra on their end. They know a certain percentage will drive no matter what so in their logic, might as well monetize it.

Just a slightly different perspective--

Universal Orlando on-site hotels charge their guests a fee for parking and many other hotels in a variety of cities do as well. As long as it isn't outrageous ($40-50) per night, I'm not especially surprised Disney is charging guests a parking fee.

I do think they should do a better job of monitoring the parking lots, and it would be nice if hotel guests were charged less--and DVC owners nothing of course

Just a slightly different perspective--

Universal Orlando on-site hotels charge their guests a fee for parking and many other hotels in a variety of cities do as well. As long as it isn't outrageous ($40-50) per night, I'm not especially surprised Disney is charging guests a parking fee.

I do think they should do a better job of monitoring the parking lots, and it would be nice if hotel guests were charged less--and DVC owners nothing of course

Yes, a lot of hotels charge for parking, especially in big cities, but most of the time your only staying there for a weekend not a whole week like most people stay at Disney.

This new policy doesn’t affect DVC owners, and we fly in and use MDE so it wouldn’t cost us either way. But.... it just seems like Disney is going the way of the airlines and nickel and diming it’s guests everywhere they can.

But.... it just seems like Disney is going the way of the airlines and nickel and diming it’s guests everywhere they can.

Airlines charge extra fees on everything because they have to keep ticket prices as low as possible because of budgdet airlines and ticket price wars.
Disney can charge a premium for their service and now they also charge extra fees.

The real question is are they going to use the profits from this to pay for additional bus service since they increased demand. Given their track record, I kind of doubt it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter