Anyone receive Airline refunds instead of credits?

Oh wow. We are in the same shoes as you with Delta. We cancelled our flights while at the airport in Detroit back on March 13th. We also were told it would just be a credit good for 2 years. We have not received any refund. Maybe I will give them a call this weekend and see if anything has changed. Lord what a crazy day that was looking back with so many family members and friends calling and texting us to get back to Canada ASAP because Trudeau was closing the boarder in like an hour and we would not be allowed back into Canada. Never mind that the day before Doug Ford was saying on the radio to go ahead and enjoy your March Break and travel, everything was just fine. Good times!! :scared:

Oh boy! My neighbors were in a similar spot as you, they had just left Detroit and arrived in Orlando only to have friends and family tell them to get back home asap. They were very skeptical about going but everyone said it was fine to go, how fast things change. I plan on contacting Delta too, I am totally mystified over why the kids' tickets were refunded (nothing on our tickets yet).

I had a flight to MCO booked in April 2020 - well we all know all those flights got cancelled. I let the flight go through the cancel - although I still had to outright click on cancel so it realized I did not want to go to Calgary and back. I used the credit to TWICE try booking flights to MCO, and both times I had to cancel (they changed flight to one that did not work; they cancelled the 2nd flight) both times I changed to other airlines and successfully went to WDW (Sept & Nov)...no more trips planned of course due to all the new restrictions. (it makes me sad)

Anyways; prior to the 2nd flight being cancelled, I got an email saying I could get a refund instead of credits for my original April cancellation. So after they cancelled my second try at using the credits, I called them and I got the refund to my CC of the original April flight. I could have just left it, as I'm sure I would have used it eventually; but by then I was frustrated with the constant changes and just done.

Oh boy! My neighbors were in a similar spot as you, they had just left Detroit and arrived in Orlando only to have friends and family tell them to get back home asap. They were very skeptical about going but everyone said it was fine to go, how fast things change. I plan on contacting Delta too, I am totally mystified over why the kids' tickets were refunded (nothing on our tickets yet).

We still just have a credit. Delta still not giving us a refund. Hope you had better luck!

We still just have a credit. Delta still not giving us a refund. Hope you had better luck!

That is just SO strange! I just received a reply from Delta this morning saying that they would refund me the $ for the two remaining tickets and an apology for being inconsistent with the "handling of the tickets". I had filed a complaint with the Department of Transportation last year asking for a refund - wonder if that made a difference? A friend of mine had her tickets refunded because she stated some new coronavirus aid that was coming in to US airlines that required them to refund tickets and so I used that as a reference with Delta back when I filed the complaint. But Delta had replied saying no because we canceled before the flight was canceled....and then we got the refund all these months later. Very inconsistent!

Ugh, I am so fed up with United! We cancelled our flights just before the airline did last March and I got travel credits good for 2 years from my booking date, so Dec 17, 2021. The problem is that I *really* doubt we will be flying before then! I've tried to get them to refund me for the flights but they have refused so today I filed a complaint.

Ugh, I am so fed up with United! We cancelled our flights just before the airline did last March and I got travel credits good for 2 years from my booking date, so Dec 17, 2021. The problem is that I *really* doubt we will be flying before then! I've tried to get them to refund me for the flights but they have refused so today I filed a complaint.

Good luck, I hope you get a refund!

I did notice on my West jet account that they have extended 2 of my companion vouchers from Jan 31, 2021 to June 30, 2021. Still won't be able to use them by then unless I can book flights into 2022 by then and by some miracle we will be able to travel safely somewhere without the long quarantines.

I did notice on my West jet account that they have extended 2 of my companion vouchers from Jan 31, 2021 to June 30, 2021. Still won't be able to use them by then unless I can book flights into 2022 by then and by some miracle we will be able to travel safely somewhere without the long quarantines.
:goodvibes Mine too, after I'd resigned myself to losing it. Do the actual flights have to take place by June 30, or just a flight booked? By June the schedules should be out for 2022.

:goodvibes Mine too, after I'd resigned myself to losing it. Do the actual flights have to take place by June 30, or just a flight booked? By June the schedules should be out for 2022.
I believe we just have to book the flights before June 30th. I have wj travel dollars as well so I’m thinking I might try to book something for 2022 with those and the companion fares. If we end up having to cancel the wj travel dollars will just go back as the credit anyways.

Hopefully the deadline to use travel bank amounts is to book rather than travel!

I'm not sure about other airlines, but my United credits say that my travel has to begin by Dec 17, 2021. (I booked the flights Dec 17, 2019)

I am going to fight them for AT LEAST an extension on the credits, if not an actual refund.

For Air Canada, the date is travel by, not book by. I have to take the flight within two years of my flight cancellation date.

For WJ, I believe the deadline is to book, not travel.
This is correct. I just looked at my account on WJ and went over the "rules" of the travel credit bank and yes, you can travel on them after their expiry date. You just need to BOOK before they expire.

For Air Canada, the date is travel by, not book by. I have to take the flight within two years of my flight cancellation date.
Unfortunately for me my flights were late April 2020. Air Canada cancelled the flight late March 2020 so that is my 2year end date now. I don't want to travel during spring break (which is why I booked end of April). I've given up hope of getting anything out of these flights. It will be a bonus if I do.

Unfortunately for me my flights were late April 2020. Air Canada cancelled the flight late March 2020 so that is my 2year end date now. I don't want to travel during spring break (which is why I booked end of April). I've given up hope of getting anything out of these flights. It will be a bonus if I do.
I probably won’t be able to use it unless it’s a flight to other Canadian cities for a short trip. I am not planning to visit WDW before the expiry date.

I probably won’t be able to use it unless it’s a flight to other Canadian cities for a short trip. I am not planning to visit WDW before the expiry date.
Agree - I don't really have the heart to even begin planning any "real" trips at this point. We did have a marvelous time in southern Ontario early last fall though (which absorbed some credits) and would LOVE to see the Maritimes, so maybe something like that will be possible. Luckily, our flight credits are all with WestJet so they can be used domestically.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter