Anyone try Southwest to Hawaii?

3kidz4dis

DIS Veteran
We are flying from the Baltimore Area and was wondering how Southwest was? I know that it would be picked up in California. I noticed there is a United non Stop from Dulles and certainly have my eye on that one although it doesn't budge much from $1,000.00. Any advice from the BWI, Philadelphia, or DC area?

You would have a layover in one of the couple CA cities the SWA flights originate from. For whatever reason, when we looked from BUF, the flight segments weren't even available to us. I thought it would be a 2 stop flight (BUF to BWI to SFO to HNL, for example), but at this point they aren't even offering that unless we booked it separately on our own, which is not cost efficient.

The benefit to the west coast layover is that you're breaking up an otherwise long flight into two smaller, manageable sections. But, it will likely take you longer to get there. Another thing I'm always wary about with Southwest flights is that you really need to be at your next gate at least 30 minutes prior to boarding to ensure you board with your boarding position. If you miss it, you could wind up in a middle seat or separated from your family, which I would hate on a long flight to Hawaii. We had this happen when our originating flight landed maybe 20 minutes late and we had an hour layover. We had an A boarding position, but made it to our gate when it was in the mid-B's.

Price was definitely a concern for us, but comfort was a bigger concern. We opted for the slightly more expensive Delta flight through Atlanta that had a 2-4-2 seat configuration. We booked coach, which was sufficient with these seats for us, and all fare classes were given free meals, alcohol, and there were hundreds of movies and TV shows on the seatback TV at each seat. I believe Southwest has you use your own device for entertainment, so a portable charger (unless there's power outlets) is a must.

Can I ask please does this include a case

?? Are you asking if Southwest has baggage fees? The answer is no - each person is entitled to two checked pieces of luggage within their prescribed size/weight requirements.

I flew Ft. Myers to HNL last month (June 12th). I had to book two separate trips: RSW to OAK and then OAK to HNL. If I checked a bag, I would have had to claim it in OAK and then go through security again. Since I only had two hours in between flights, I had to take a carry on only. I was flying on points, so it was worth it. If I was paying out of pocket, I would have looked at other options.

I flew Ft. Myers to HNL last month (June 12th). I had to book two separate trips: RSW to OAK and then OAK to HNL. If I checked a bag, I would have had to claim it in OAK and then go through security again. Since I only had two hours in between flights, I had to take a carry on only. I was flying on points, so it was worth it. If I was paying out of pocket, I would have looked at other options.

Did SW offer any types of food for purchase between OAK and HNL? Thanks!

Until Southwest gets their act together with Hawaii, taking them to the islands only really makes sense if you live in the Western States or are doing an extended stay in California before heading over.

Right now they are flying only from San Jose and Oakland, with more airports to follow. Going over, since you can do it all in one day, you can grab a flight as long as you connect through SJC or OAK. But coming back, you have to do a multi-city run.

I just ran some flight searches and they would let me book a one-way flight from BWI to HNL on November 12th for $312 (BWI-AUS-OAK-HNL). However, for a return trip on November 21st, they were no flights. I had to do a multi-city trip which gave me HNL-SJC on 11/21, and then SJC-BWI on 11/22, for $517. You could do a better run on Hawaiian, for example, for $788 (BWI-BOS-HNL; HNL (redeye)-BOS-BWI arrive 11/22).

Eventually Southwest will have it worked out. They plan on offering service here in Sacramento at some point. But it's almost an afterthought for my wife and I because we can take Hawaiian direct to HNL or Alaska direct to Maui.

We flew United on our February trip from O'Hare to Oahu - never again. No TV screens, had to use our own devices; food was available for purchase but was not good; plane was in need of a refurb. Many passengers tried to watch movies on their tiny phone screens; others were lucky and had tablets with them. Smart people brought their own food on board (we did so on the return flight).
I'm not sure what SW offers on their Hawaii flights, but I'd advise researching the amenities before booking. Just my 2 cents worth.

Until Southwest gets their act together with Hawaii, taking them to the islands only really makes sense if you live in the Western States or are doing an extended stay in California before heading over.

Right now they are flying only from San Jose and Oakland, with more airports to follow. Going over, since you can do it all in one day, you can grab a flight as long as you connect through SJC or OAK. But coming back, you have to do a multi-city run.

I just ran some flight searches and they would let me book a one-way flight from BWI to HNL on November 12th for $312 (BWI-AUS-OAK-HNL). However, for a return trip on November 21st, they were no flights. I had to do a multi-city trip which gave me HNL-SJC on 11/21, and then SJC-BWI on 11/22, for $517. You could do a better run on Hawaiian, for example, for $788 (BWI-BOS-HNL; HNL (redeye)-BOS-BWI arrive 11/22).

Eventually Southwest will have it worked out. They plan on offering service here in Sacramento at some point. But it's almost an afterthought for my wife and I because we can take Hawaiian direct to HNL or Alaska direct to Maui.

Thanks for the searches on those flights! Can I ask the search engine you use? I am looking at a non stop United next June (my dates are not completely released yet) with a Dulles-Honolulu direct for $1,080.00 basic (economy plus is $233.00 more) The Hawaiian flight you saw from Baltimore is very interesting and less. Hawaiian includes meals? We would love a non stop but I am interested in Hawaiian. I don't think their rates are released yet for next June either. Do you use google flights or another application?

Thanks for the searches on those flights! Can I ask the search engine you use? I am looking at a non stop United next June (my dates are not completely released yet) with a Dulles-Honolulu direct for $1,080.00 basic (economy plus is $233.00 more) The Hawaiian flight you saw from Baltimore is very interesting and less. Hawaiian includes meals? We would love a non stop but I am interested in Hawaiian. I don't think their rates are released yet for next June either. Do you use google flights or another application?

No fancy search engine, just the Hawaiian website. Hawaiian still has a complimentary meal (it’s not too bad), and they traditionally serve an island rum punch before you land in the islands (and they have a non rum version for kids or those who would rather not). I’m not sure if they do 2 meals flying from the East Coast or not. I’ve only taken them from California. They also usually give you a snack size bag of Hawaiian potato chips. All in all, Hawaiian is a really nice airline.

So I have another flight question. I was looking at tix and one flight was American to LAX then Hawaiian airlines. The TA said they would not transfer the luggage. We would have to go to bag claim and then check in for Hawaiian. That seemed odd to me if its listed as a doable flight

So I have another flight question. I was looking at tix and one flight was American to LAX then Hawaiian airlines. The TA said they would not transfer the luggage. We would have to go to bag claim and then check in for Hawaiian. That seemed odd to me if its listed as a doable flight

American and Hawaiian aren’t code share partners, so they won’t transfer your luggage. No different than flying Southwest to one airport and then getting on a different airline.

I would not want to fly SW from the East Coast to Hawaii. I flew them from LAX to FL in May, way too long for my taste. Will use them for quick 1-2hr flights.

Last edited:
No fancy search engine, just the Hawaiian website. Hawaiian still has a complimentary meal (it’s not too bad), and they traditionally serve an island rum punch before you land in the islands (and they have a non rum version for kids or those who would rather not). I’m not sure if they do 2 meals flying from the East Coast or not. I’ve only taken them from California. They also usually give you a snack size bag of Hawaiian potato chips. All in all, Hawaiian is a really nice airline.
Fred M....Hawaiian air still does not have June for next year posted but wanted to thank you for putting the bug in my ear about the airline. JFK has non stop. It is a 3 hour drive from our home but certainly doable! Don't love JFK but if the flight is in the 800 range that is what we will do.

We are going to try SW this Dec to Hawaii. I had to book one flight OMA-OAK and then another flight OAK-HNL with an almost 5 hour layover in OAK. We used some points and had a companion pass this year. If we didn't have the companion pass, I wouldn't have booked this flight. FWIW, Southwest is only slightly less compared to all the major airlines in cost, but the other airlines allows you to book your complete flight itinerary on one ticket.

We just flew SW from the East coast to CA then Oahu within the past two weeks.

Since 2013, we’ve only flown SW (we use points, I’ve had the companion pass, etc). For this trip, we flew to San Jose and stayed over night. The next day we flew to Oahu. Terrific flights, all of them.

We bring extra batteries for our devices, we buy the $8 internet, we bring our own food on board, and we sit back and enjoy our flight. Two free bags per person is also a wonderful perk. I always buy the early bird check in. We’ve never had a problem sitting together.

Attachments

• C272E7B0-174F-491B-8313-D24CB5BC3BE8.jpeg
    C272E7B0-174F-491B-8313-D24CB5BC3BE8.jpeg
    61.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 1765F3F6-A0C1-4C35-9D4D-B483CBD07E66.jpeg
    1765F3F6-A0C1-4C35-9D4D-B483CBD07E66.jpeg
    48.4 KB · Views: 27
  • BFA64311-313B-4BCA-B590-FC23840ABE76.jpeg
    BFA64311-313B-4BCA-B590-FC23840ABE76.jpeg
    55.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 5C4E2F04-C4CE-432F-B9BF-7E36E503F5F3.jpeg
    5C4E2F04-C4CE-432F-B9BF-7E36E503F5F3.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 7D793724-A6E0-4095-92BE-2B29B9EFA044.jpeg
    7D793724-A6E0-4095-92BE-2B29B9EFA044.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 29

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!