Anyone with a Vestibular disorder?

AKlove

Earning My Ears
Hey all, was recently diagnosed with a vestibular disorder. Does anyone have one and have any strategies while being at the park. For anyone who doesn't know, the vestibular system controls balance leading to vertigo and imbalance. This can be triggered by motion, light and sound. This has been incredibly difficult but I love Disney and refuse to let it stop me from going. So far I have thought of headphones, sunglasses, wheelchair if needed and short intervals while avoiding high motion rides. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I only have time for a short replay but depending on the day and even the time some rides are out for me.

I only have time for a short replay but depending on the day and even the time some rides are out for me.

I hear ya on that, it does depend on day and time. I was there in March and the one ride that got me was actually the walking through the Ariel's Grotto waiting line the waves ripple and reflect off the ground and walls which triggered vertigo couldn't even make it on the ride that day. I have rode it though on one of my better days :-)

I think you plan is good one, as each person is really different and what triggers things for them. Do you have someone that can push your wheel chair if need be this could be the best thing for you.

yeah, I usually always have someone with me, that's a good idea for that particular rides waiting area.

Hey AKlove! I've been dealing with a vestibular disorder for more than 20 years and we go to Disney 3-5 times year. About 4 years ago I purchased a rollator to help me get around. I can walk behind it, it helps with my balance and when I'm tired I have a place to sit!
I have thought of headphones, sunglasses,
these items also help me and having my husband's support gets me through the day.
Keep positive and take frequent breaks
xoxo

I've had a vestibular disorder for 2 years. I can no longer go on the ferry from the TTC mainly due to the walkway that connects the ferry to land when it is docked, it moves too much for me and I feel incredibly unstable on it and the feeling doesn't disappear for quite awhile after. I have to wait to board a bus or monorail until I am guaranteed a seat (no more being the last family to catch a bus before it leaves), standing while a bus or monorail is moving is not an option. All 3-D movies (muppets, philharmagic) are out for me as well as soarin'. Any rides with automatic moving walkways are incredibly challenging. When I take breaks I often try to find seating in a restaurant facing a wall so I don't have to constantly be surrounded by movement. For me, sunglasses, a hat and earplugs are always on-hand at Disney. Best of luck with your trip!

Hey AKlove! I've been dealing with a vestibular disorder for more than 20 years and we go to Disney 3-5 times year. About 4 years ago I purchased a rollator to help me get around. I can walk behind it, it helps with my balance and when I'm tired I have a place to sit!
these items also help me and having my husband's support gets me through the day.
Keep positive and take frequent breaks
xoxo

I will have to look into a rollator because sometimes my wheelchair becomes to much for someone to push. Thanks for the advice! :)

I've had a vestibular disorder for 2 years. I can no longer go on the ferry from the TTC mainly due to the walkway that connects the ferry to land when it is docked, it moves too much for me and I feel incredibly unstable on it and the feeling doesn't disappear for quite awhile after. I have to wait to board a bus or monorail until I am guaranteed a seat (no more being the last family to catch a bus before it leaves), standing while a bus or monorail is moving is not an option. All 3-D movies (muppets, philharmagic) are out for me as well as soarin'. Any rides with automatic moving walkways are incredibly challenging. When I take breaks I often try to find seating in a restaurant facing a wall so I don't have to constantly be surrounded by movement. For me, sunglasses, a hat and earplugs are always on-hand at Disney. Best of luck with your trip!

I know what you mean about that walkway on the ferry as well as moving walk ways! For me the monorail is difficult as well as the bus. I try not to take transport unless absolute necessary which for MK it is. I rely on vehicle because it helps so much to have close parking with handicap pass versus a busy bus or monorail with constant movement. Plus when symptomatic the trek back and waiting for transport can be torture. I love the facing a wall idea as long as it doesn't have patterns. Thanks for the advice!! :)

I can totally relate, I get it in episodes, but will definitely bring it on if I go on any platform that moves. Not always, but I don't want to take a chance, once the vert/motion sickness starts, it leads to nausea and could last for hours. Ruined day. Coping mechanisms - earplugs, and not moving. I'll stand in place for a bit, or sit not looking at anything that is moving, as the other poster said. This is indeed torture. Meniere's disease and other inner-ear disorders can cause this. My vertigo also comes on when blood pressure goes up over 150/90...odd, but it happens. Staying hydrated for me is crucial, taking my diuretic to get rid of excess fluid buildup too. Best of luck. I truly feel for you.

Hey all, was recently diagnosed with a vestibular disorder. Does anyone have one and have any strategies while being at the park. For anyone who doesn't know, the vestibular system controls balance leading to vertigo and imbalance. This can be triggered by motion, light and sound. This has been incredibly difficult but I love Disney and refuse to let it stop me from going. So far I have thought of headphones, sunglasses, wheelchair if needed and short intervals while avoiding high motion rides. Any advice would be much appreciated.

One of my sons' conditions is a vestibular disorder. He has a hard time on rides like Big Thunder, with the quick movements/turns. I usually put my arm around him since he has a hard time controlling his body on the turns. Space Mountain is out for him since he has to sit alone. Plus it's in the dark and not being able to see the turns his body would be all over the place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter