AP Discount vs Tables in Wonderland

dprincessmom

dprincessmom
Can someone talk to me about the Tables in Wonderland? It seems that with the AP (first time ever :tink:) I get a discount on meals. Why would I need the Tables in Wonderland card? Sorry I really don't understand the plan, so hoping experienced DISers can help me out. We are currently scheduled to be on property 11 more days this year, so it may be worth it, just don't know the ins and outs of this discount plan. I know that time of year may play a factor in the discounts and we will be there during Thanksgiving and the before Christmas.

Right now there are special AP meal discounts that go away (as far as we know) at the end of Sept. In the past, AP meal discounts were mostly on TS lunches and not at every resturant.

TIW is 20% off most TS meals and I believe CS at value resorts. But you need to do the math. How many people would you be paying for, how many meals would be covered, do you drink alcohol, will you you traveling during black out periods. Lots of things to check.

For DH and I, it is no longer worth it.

Like the PP said, the AP meal discounts (as far as we know) are due to end September 30th. They were a promotion for the 45th Anniversary of Walt Disney World/Magic Kingdom. It may go away or it may stay, depending on the Powers That Be (which is why I am waiting to repurchase my AP). Tables in Wonderland covers alcohol where the AP discount does not. With TiW you can purchase your meal for a total of 10 people. I believe with the AP it's a total of 4 people. However, TiW automatically adds an 18% gratuity no matter the number of guests in your party. TiW expires roughly 13 months after you buy it, so if your first few days are within this month you could hold off on buying TiW if the dining promotion DOES end to extend your discount availability.

Certainly take the time and look at the math, especially if they end up extending the dining discount to help celebrate Epcot's 35th anniversary (I can only hope). Looking back, I purchased the TiW card during past promotion without thinking about it and to be honest, I probably shouldn't have. I don't drink enough alcohol and it was usually myself and one other person dining. However, your mileage may vary.

Like jo-jo has stated, you really have to calculate it out to see if it is worth it for you since the special AP discounts have not been announced to be renewed.

With the AP, you purchase the TiW card for $150. They will give you a paper card with an expiration date for a year. The expiration date for the TiW is NOT necessarily the same date as your AP, depending on when you purchase it. (I activated my AP in November, purchased TiW in April and the TiW is good until May or thru May I can't remember which.) Something to keep in mind, is the person who purchases the TiW card is the only person who can use it. My name is on the card, so if my wife wants to go to dinner with her mother, SHE cannot use the TiW card since I am not there. "Adding" an extra person to it is $50. This extra person is a spouse or partner. So I can't have my buddy sign up for $50 and the two of us split the cost.

Two of the main differences that I have found:

1. With TiW, they add an 18% gratuity to your bill prior to discount. You can always leave more if you wish, but you will be charged the gratuity. I have never had an automatic gratuity when using my AP discount. To me it doesn't matter, but to some it does and leave it at that.

2. With TiW, you get the 20% discount on alcohol. You do not get that with the AP discount. So if you go to a meal and you don't purchase an alcoholic drink, as long as the AP discount is the same 20%, it doesn't matter which one you use.

3. Blackout dates. TiW has set in stone blackout dates like jo-jo has stated. However, I have not seen any blackout dates for the AP food discounts. Last Thanksgiving I tried to use my AP at a restaurant where the AP discount was 20%. Told the server and she told me there was no discounts given on Thanksgiving day and that it was a blackout date. I didn't argue and just paid for the meal and went on with my day. I later contacted guest services and they did agree with me that there was NO blackout date for the AP discount and credited me back the meal discount.

Again, for $150, you have to add it up. I would wait and see what they do with the AP food discounts before I made too much of a decision.

Edit: Sorry, figmentedfollies posted before I finished typing.

Like jo-jo has stated, you really have to calculate it out to see if it is worth it for you since the special AP discounts have not been announced to be renewed.

With the AP, you purchase the TiW card for $150. They will give you a paper card with an expiration date for a year. The expiration date for the TiW is NOT necessarily the same date as your AP, depending on when you purchase it. (I activated my AP in November, purchased TiW in April and the TiW is good until May or thru May I can't remember which.) Something to keep in mind, is the person who purchases the TiW card is the only person who can use it. My name is on the card, so if my wife wants to go to dinner with her mother, SHE cannot use the TiW card since I am not there. "Adding" an extra person to it is $50. This extra person is a spouse or partner. So I can't have my buddy sign up for $50 and the two of us split the cost.

Two of the main differences that I have found:

1. With TiW, they add an 18% gratuity to your bill prior to discount. You can always leave more if you wish, but you will be charged the gratuity. I have never had an automatic gratuity when using my AP discount. To me it doesn't matter, but to some it does and leave it at that.

2. With TiW, you get the 20% discount on alcohol. You do not get that with the AP discount. So if you go to a meal and you don't purchase an alcoholic drink, as long as the AP discount is the same 20%, it doesn't matter which one you use.

3. Blackout dates. TiW has set in stone blackout dates like jo-jo has stated. However, I have not seen any blackout dates for the AP food discounts. Last Thanksgiving I tried to use my AP at a restaurant where the AP discount was 20%. Told the server and she told me there was no discounts given on Thanksgiving day and that it was a blackout date. I didn't argue and just paid for the meal and went on with my day. I later contacted guest services and they did agree with me that there was NO blackout date for the AP discount and credited me back the meal discount.

Again, for $150, you have to add it up. I would wait and see what they do with the AP food discounts before I made too much of a decision.

Edit: Sorry, figmentedfollies posted before I finished typing.

You laid it out much better than I did.

Also, TiW would be good thru May.

One more question...if I purchase the TiW and eat at a meal with my family, can one of the adult kids pay for the meal if I show the discount card?

We are working our expenses for a May trip , 9 people plus infant, don't want to be constantly asking for separate checks. So we'll take turns paying but it would be great if the TiW discount can be applied as long as I'm dining.

Thanks figment.

Also to add, you really have to look at the times of the meals and what restaurants are good for each. There are some meals that are only good for say Lunch on AP discount, where TiW discount is good all day. So sometimes you have to determine what is more important, a TS lunch or a TS dinner. Kind of depends on what your other plans are.

One more question...if I purchase the TiW and eat at a meal with my family, can one of the adult kids pay for the meal if I show the discount card?

We are working our expenses for a May trip , 9 people plus infant, don't want to be constantly asking for separate checks. So we'll take turns paying but it would be great if the TiW discount can be applied as long as I'm dining.

I am fairly confident that the person who is on the card has to pay for the meal. I have not tried this, but I believe that it is in the disclaimers at the bottom of the TiW site.

A couple "work arounds":

1. You pay for them and they owe you.
2. You all pay cash.
3. They give you a Disney Gift Card and you put it down towards the bill.

I think the main thing is that they will not charge it to more than YOUR room, nor will they run more than YOUR credit card for the meal.

As they say, CASH and DISNEY GIFT CARDS are king!

From the TiW site (General Policies):

The Tables in Wonderland discount is good for up to 10 people including the member, as long as everyone is on the same check, and the Tables in Wonderland member is paying the bill.

In our family, I always paid, no matter if it was just us or had family along, so I can't answer for sure if someone can pay. But if you don't mind not getting paid to the dollar, why not have adult kids pick up some disney gift card. If you HAVE to pay, they can just give you a few gifts cards to cover the bill more or less. You may need to use your CC to cover the extra odd amount needed.

PP types faster than I. Yeah, what they said.

What I ended up doing during my last trip was charging it back to the room and then my mom paid off the meals she was going to pay for. If you're in different rooms or not staying on property, I would recommend using a Disney gift card. The server isn't going to know who "owns" the GC and you will be able to sign for the meal.

Like others have said, the TiW card holder must pay. Before MBs, they never seemed to care which room card was used as long as we all had the same last name. We liked to let my brother "pay." With MBs, I'd expect them to want the card holder's MB. It's been a few years since I last had TiW.

In my family, the TiW will be in my name even though my mom plans on paying for all the food. Since I will use the discount on a large quantity of alcohol and my mom won't always be with me, I get the card. Plus I'm the planner and she doesn't want to be responsible. For most meals, I'll just pay with my MB and she'll have her CC attached to the room. When we go to Shula's where we can't use MBs, my mom will just bring cash to cover the meal.

Thanks for replies regarding TiW card holder needing to pay the bill to get the meal discount. I am planning to pay for character meals anyway so if the kids are treating for a different TS meal I'll pay and they can pay me later. Sounds easier than gift cards or cash for us.

Thanks everyone for the replies - just me and DD - no alcohol, so it seems perhaps I just go with the AP discounts and see what grows from there. One last question...If I decide on TIW do I just purchase at any guest services location or does this need to be purchased before I leave home?

Thanks everyone for the replies - just me and DD - no alcohol, so it seems perhaps I just go with the AP discounts and see what grows from there. One last question...If I decide on TIW do I just purchase at any guest services location or does this need to be purchased before I leave home?

Go to any Guest Services and purchase it there.

Almost guaranteed that you will not make up the difference. Our last trip, there were 4 of us for 4 days and 2 for 3 days. We had alcohol at the evening meals and went to the lounges in the evening. We more than paid for the card above what we would have gotten from the AP discount. In your case, you might break even at best. Unless you plan to eat at places that are not on the AP discount, I would stick with that.

From the TiW site (General Policies):

The Tables in Wonderland discount is good for up to 10 people including the member, as long as everyone is on the same check, and the Tables in Wonderland member is paying the bill.

We are traveling with 11 people. Will they really not apply the discount to one person? If so, could that be a child?

We are traveling with 11 people. Will they really not apply the discount to one person? If so, could that be a child?

I do not know if they would throw some pixie dust on you and discount 11 guests or not. However, if one is a child, I couldn't see them NOT allowing you to order their meal on a separate check to give you the discount on the 10 guests. I don't see the difference of you doing that vs. your family and my family going to the same meal and asking for separate checks. Seems like it would be a fair trade off for the customer.

The policy is clearly stated as far as how many guests receive the discount, but you may luck out. Let us know how it goes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter