Appetizers for 4th of July

mrsstats

<font color=blue>Sure sister's cat is as big as a
What are some good things to serve for a bbq? Cheese and crackers don't really hold up well in the heat. Thanks for any tips

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

no but seriously, consider something hydrating like watermelon slices, maybe a jazzed up watermelon/apple/feta salad. light and refreshing, nothing too heavy pre-bbq

think of all the flys that will be n your watermelon, no thanks, no fly poop for low-key

I am invited to a BBQ on the 4th and need ideas as well. My friends always tell me "just yourselves" when I ask what to bring, and that does not fly with me. I'm not showing up empty handed but my imagination is not working this year.

I like the kebabs idea. We always throw a 4th of July BBQ at our house (pool party) and I love to see what others bring, they give me inspiration. Our biggest hit last year was fruit kebabs with pieces of pound cake and rice crispy kebabs. The kids went nuts over those. I also like to serve things that don't require refrigeration like homemade caramel corn, salas and chips, candies pecans...things that people can munch on through the day.

I like the kebabs idea. We always throw a 4th of July BBQ at our house (pool party) and I love to see what others bring, they give me inspiration. Our biggest hit last year was fruit kebabs with pieces of pound cake and rice crispy kebabs. The kids went nuts over those. I also like to serve things that don't require refrigeration like homemade caramel corn, salas and chips, candies pecans...things that people can munch on through the day.

Your idea with the pound cake, etc. sound much better than my fruit kebabs, but typically in summer, I'm associating with a ton of vegans, so that hadn't occurred to me. I am smart enough to have figured out cheese and non cheese veggie kebabs with guac to keep it vegan, but I'm up going to up my kebab game at the next event and just bringing 2 fruit types too. Great suggestion!!!

I am invited to a BBQ on the 4th and need ideas as well. My friends always tell me "just yourselves" when I ask what to bring, and that does not fly with me. I'm not showing up empty handed but my imagination is not working this year.

Please don't take this as an insult or a diss, because it's not meant that way. BUT:

I understand that our culture kind of expects that you don't show up to someone's home empty-handed. However, if the host says "don't bring anything," I take that to mean, "don't bring anything." Mrs. Homie and I play this game *every* time we're invited to her aunt's house (in Les' family, Aunt Diane is the Hostess With the Mostest (and the biggest house)). And I think it's a stupid game. If the hostess says not to bring anything, she really means "don't bring anything."

I always make a fresh fruit platter, with a big bowl of Kahlua fruit dip, which I place in a bigger bowl of ice to keep it chilled. There's never any left!
KAHLUA DIP FOR FRUIT
1/4 c. orange juice
1/4 c. honey
1/2 c. plus 2 tbsp. Kahlua
2 beaten eggs
8 oz. Cool Whip or comparable whipping cream
Blend orange juice, honey, Kahlua and eggs in a small saucepan over low heat just until it coats back of the spoon. (If you warm it too much, the eggs start to coagulate!). Cool mixture.
Blend Cool Whip or whipping cream with mixture. Best if made the day before! Serve with fresh fruit.

Please don't take this as an insult or a diss, because it's not meant that way. BUT:

I understand that our culture kind of expects that you don't show up to someone's home empty-handed. However, if the host says "don't bring anything," I take that to mean, "don't bring anything." Mrs. Homie and I play this game *every* time we're invited to her aunt's house (in Les' family, Aunt Diane is the Hostess With the Mostest (and the biggest house)). And I think it's a stupid game. If the hostess says not to bring anything, she really means "don't bring anything."

Under most circumstances this works for me. FOr this party not so much. They invite a lot of people, A LOT of people, and feed them all. It is really casual with a 3 bay garage set up as a bar, and buffet, and food is laid out in shifts, snacks, apps and then the main picnic assortment. After that desserts. I won't bring something that is her main, she knows what she wants for that, and folks tend to bring in hot food in crock pots and casseroles to add to it. I am just sick of bringing dessert, but have no idea what will hold and up yet will not require more space in her kitchen.

I was at a friends house once and they served cold cooked ravioli tossed with red onion and balsamic vinaigrette. It was a little different and really good.

You could also just bring drinks (water, beer, premixed margaritas, etc). Maybe even bring them with a styrofoam cooler full of ice. It's useful and won't go to waste.

Under most circumstances this works for me. FOr this party not so much. They invite a lot of people, A LOT of people, and feed them all. It is really casual with a 3 bay garage set up as a bar, and buffet, and food is laid out in shifts, snacks, apps and then the main picnic assortment. After that desserts. I won't bring something that is her main, she knows what she wants for that, and folks tend to bring in hot food in crock pots and casseroles to add to it. I am just sick of bringing dessert, but have no idea what will hold and up yet will not require more space in her kitchen.

If they have a big open bar, maybe bring a few bottles to help out in that regard? A bottle rum and some strawberry puree and cut up limes might be a huge help:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter