April- Ocean swimming in San Diego?

Not for me, but I am from the East Coast. I need 70 plus Ocean water temperature. It was warm enough to swim in hotel pools on the sunny days during our 3 April visits

Not for me, but I am from the East Coast. I need 70 plus Ocean water temperature. It was warm enough to swim in hotel pools on the sunny days during our 3 April visits

We are from Boston....in beaches near us the water is freezing even in August....you don't get used to it, you just go numb. Lol. We were just on the Gulf Coast in FL last week and it was perfect warm glorious ocean temp. We would like to go to CA next year in April and hoping for beach time. We've swam in heated pools in April in CA, but I didn't know how warm the Pacific gets in the spring.

We are from Boston....in beaches near us the water is freezing even in August....you don't get used to it, you just go numb. Lol. We were just on the Gulf Coast in FL last week and it was perfect warm glorious ocean temp. We would like to go to CA next year in April and hoping for beach time. We've swam in heated pools in April in CA, but I didn't know how warm the Pacific gets in the spring.
Then it may work for you. We are from the Jersey shore so by late June it gets warm depending on the weather/gulf stream. I know after walking in the Pacific I wasn't interested in jumping in. Of course if you get warmer temps (It was mid 70s ) it might be different for you.

I live there and the ocean has never been warm enough for me in April. I may walk in the shoreline, but I'd never go in to wade or swim. There are always other people in there, though! I see them on the local news all the time and figure they must be visiting from somewhere else. The wetsuit recommendation is a good one.

The ocean temperature is 65 right now. Wetsuits are recommended.
I live there and the ocean has never been warm enough for me in April. I may walk in the shoreline, but I'd never go in to wade or swim. There are always other people in there, though! I see them on the local news all the time and figure they must be visiting from somewhere else. The wetsuit recommendation is a good one.

Ok, thx ... so I just looked and in July the highest ave water temp in Boston is 59. So, my kids will swim in a 65 degree ocean...still warmer than we get even in summer! Thx!

Ok, thx ... so I just looked and in July the highest ave water temp in Boston is 59. So, my kids will swim in a 65 degree ocean...still warmer than we get even in summer! Thx!

The issue is that the ocean temperature is measured at the sea SURFACE as well as the fact that the AIR temperature here in April is pretty cool. Highs have only been in the 60's at the beach this entire month plus it is very windy. My husband and I went to lunch in Newport Beach 2 weeks ago and I was shivering while we took a quick beach walk...I was wearing capris, short sleeves and sandals. NO ONE swims in the ocean here in April without a wetsuit. You could seriously get hypothermia...

Get your kids a "shorty" wetsuit for around $75 online. O'neill makes a great one. Seriously...we even wear them in the summer.

There is a big difference between 65 degree water when it's 85-90 degrees out and 65 degree water when it is 60-65 degrees and windy.

Probably not. I'd recommend a wetsuit. I was out diving in La Jolla last weekend in my 3/2 mm and was still cold. I don't get out of my wetsuit unless the water is 75 degrees and above. But I live in San Diego. My blood must be thinner.

The issue is that the ocean temperature is measured at the sea SURFACE as well as the fact that the AIR temperature here in April is pretty cool. Highs have only been in the 60's at the beach this entire month plus it is very windy. My husband and I went to lunch in Newport Beach 2 weeks ago and I was shivering while we took a quick beach walk...I was wearing capris, short sleeves and sandals. NO ONE swims in the ocean here in April without a wetsuit. You could seriously get hypothermia...

Get your kids a "shorty" wetsuit for around $75 online. O'neill makes a great one. Seriously...we even wear them in the summer.

There is a big difference between 65 degree water when it's 85-90 degrees out and 65 degree water when it is 60-65 degrees and windy.

Good point on air temp.....

Maybe we will just stick to Disneyland, lol.

Good point on air temp.....

Maybe we will just stick to Disneyland, lol.

The beaches are absolutely beautiful. I do recommend a visit, even if you don't swim. You can let the kids build sandcastles, look for shells, or explore the tide pools. Lots of great restaurants by the beach as well.

The beaches are absolutely beautiful. I do recommend a visit, even if you don't swim. You can let the kids build sandcastles, look for shells, or explore the tide pools. Lots of great restaurants by the beach as well.

Tide pooling is a great way to spend the day at the beach if the tides are agreeable. La Jolla has some nice ones.

I've gone swimming in Rhode Island in the summer. Not sure if that is the same temps as Boston. No comparison, the Pacific is colder than the Atlantic.

Just rent a spring wetsuit. It's got short sleeves and pants and is less bulky. But you'll appreciate it!

Cold water on a hot day (e.g., Boston in the summer) is manageable because you can get out and warm up in the sun. April in Southern California will likely be in the 60s and cloudy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!