Are Disney parks no longer for the Middle class?

I've never had a bill other than 1 place that was $50 at Myrtle for the 4 of us and my kids had always eaten adult food and never off the kid menu past toddler stage. We weren't eating at cheap places either. I eat shrimp every night when I'm at Myrtle. I admit it's been a few years now though.

Even if it was a few years ago, for 4 people that is impressive.

Yes and no to the apples and oranges. It really depends on what you want out of a vacation I suppose.
I said in the beginning of this thread that there are many ways to do a WDW vacation. Staying at POP and going to the parks for 4 days is still a WDW vacation, it is comparable in price to other places
But what you're saying is a contradiction to itself though.

On the one hand you say it really depends on what you want out of a vacation and on the other hand staying at Pop for 4 days with park tickets is comparable in price to other places. Is that really the case if a vacation is what you make out of it? How are you getting that it is comparable to price in other places to begin with, what other places are you talking about?

In Wildwood we love the Beau Rivage, it's one of the closest hotels to the water. Our favorite room is Oceanfront 2 Room Efficiency Suite. Nothing 'fancy', it's a clean 1BR with furnished kitchen. Initially I thought DH was crazy to pay extra for oceanfront because all rooms view the ocean, but it's 100% worth $20/nite more to enjoy our balcony sunrises & sunsets with nothing but sand and ocean in view. So peaceful & invigorating. Good call DH <3

We usually go 3-5 nights before or after Labor Day weekend. For the end of August 2020 it costs $225-249/nite and beyond Sept 7 is only $142/nite. Quite the bargain for a premier location in Wildwood. An average trip:

$600-1000 room 5days/4nites (depending on week)
$100-150 groceries
$300- Eating out 1 meal/day x5
$300 misc.- gas, boardwalk pier, beach items
$0- Building gigantic sandcastles daily, visiting Cape May

This lovely trip *in Bob Barker voice* has an avg cost of $1500 (+/- $300 for date, meal & spending choices)

Since 2010, this trip has increased around 25%. In that 10 yrs WDW has nearly doubled with around an 80% increase. In their defense, they have expanded on experience and variety. WDW deserves a premium cost but that's a big leap.

tldr:
I understand these are 2 totally different types of trips but here's one way to compare-
In 2010 WDW's 5 day trip (no airfare) in a Mod cost roughly 2x's the Wildwood price ($1200/$2500); those same trips for 2020 tripled in difference ($1500/$4500). Is WDW v.2020 three times better than the Wildwood trip?
Hmm... Twice as exhilarating? Possibly. 3x's as good? *shrug* That's getting harder to defend.

Restaurants are really cheap in MB for some reason (or was.) I was shocked as we were use to around $80 for crappy chain restaurants around here.

When we do Myrtle Beach, we rent a condo (family of 6), and make good use of the kitchen. I don't cook full-on meals, mostly quick stuff, snacks, breakfast, etc. My kids think meal delivery is AMAZING--mostly because we're too cheap to do it at home. So for us, MB is our "quick and cheap" type vacation. It helps that we only live 90 minutes away--it's a great little getaway for us.

But what you're saying is a contradiction to itself though.

On the one hand you say it really depends on what you want out of a vacation and on the other hand staying at Pop for 4 days with park tickets is comparable in price to other places. Is that really the case if a vacation is what you make out of it? How are you getting that it is comparable to price in other places to begin with, what other places are you talking about?

I said a WDW vacation can be comparable IN PRICE to other vacations.
I mean if you personally define a WDW vacation as staying deluxe, having the deluxe dining plan, spending all the money for the extra events then sure for you personally it isn't comparable to a week at the beach.
For some, staying at POP, going to one park a day for 4 days, hanging out by the pool for the rest of the week is a WDW vacation and price wise comparable to other vacations. Rehoboth for example, or Myrtle Beach, or even the Jersey Shore where probably 90% of the middle class families here go on vacation. If they can afford that, then they can afford a vacation at WDW.

I mean if you personally define a WDW vacation as staying deluxe, having the deluxe dining plan, spending all the money for the extra events then sure for you personally it isn't comparable to a week at the beach.
For some, staying at POP, going to one park a day for 4 days, hanging out by the pool for the rest of the week is a WDW vacation and price wise comparable to other vacations. Rehoboth for example, or Myrtle Beach, or even the Jersey Shore where probably 90% of the middle class families here go on vacation. If they can afford that, then they can afford a vacation at WDW.
I was responding to this below comment:

"Staying at POP and going to the parks for 4 days is still a WDW vacation, it is comparable in price to other places" I was trying to figure out where you were getting the info that it was comparable in price to other places and what other places. I was seeking clarification :)

If anyone knew anything about my past posting history (and I'm not saying you should know here :) ) I am not a deluxe girl nor about paid extra events so that wasn't what I was talking about at all.

"Staying at POP and going to the parks for 4 days is still a WDW vacation, it is comparable in price to other places" I was trying to figure out where you were getting the info that it was comparable in price to other places and what other places. I was seeking clarification :)

If anyone knew anything about my past posting history (and I'm not saying you should know here :) ) I am not a deluxe girl nor about paid extra events so that wasn't what I was talking about at all.

The reality is Disney got expensive fast. Now, I can go camping in Hawaii, or I can stay in a high end hotel. I’d argue that those are two very different experiences. But when I tell people they can camp in Hawaii, they don’t really want that Hawaii experience. I’d say the same is true for Disney. Folks want to buy up the experience, so it’s much more expensive than they originally thought.

Oh, I went on the Disney site and priced a week resort stay (ASMu was the cheapest at like $136 a night) plus tickets (I think it was 6 day) there , and I also went to expedia and priced hotels in Orlando and then went to Disney again and priced just park tickets. I did't check undercover tourist for discounted ones but maybe I should have just out of curiosity.
I compared that to the known costs of my planned vacation to the beach this summer.

Oh, I went on the Disney site and priced a week resort stay (ASMu was the cheapest at like $136 a night) plus tickets (I think it was 6 day) there , and I also went to expedia and priced hotels in Orlando and then went to Disney again and priced just park tickets. I did't check undercover tourist for discounted ones but maybe I should have just out of curiosity.
I compared that to the known costs of my planned vacation to the beach this summer.
Ohhh ok I gotcha now. Thank you for explaining!

So I just got back last Friday from a trip to Sedona Arizona. It was for a team meeting for work. Folks spread out in different locations coming together. Air was about 350 for me on SW out of Hobby to Phoenix. We had a limo bus to Sedona from Phoenix. So no rent car but say we did and that would probably run over the 4 days around $200. The rooms we stayed in were beautiful and were the group rate of $269 a night. We did a jeep tour probably around 75 to 100 apiece. Add food (we ate really well!) and with tax you are looking at $1,550 for Tuesday to Friday without food. Add $350 for another plane ticket and say 300 for food for two, plus shopping and all of a sudden a three night trip there for the wife and I could be $2,200 total. We go to WDW for about $200 to 300 for air apiece, get 7 nights at Pop for 1,000 and have AP's. Add 500 for food and WDW is 2,100 for a week (excluding the sunk cost of the AP) 7 nights vs 3 nights for a similar price. We just keep on going back to WDW.

So I just got back last Friday from a trip to Sedona Arizona. It was for a team meeting for work. Folks spread out in different locations coming together. Air was about 350 for me on SW out of Hobby to Phoenix. We had a limo bus to Sedona from Phoenix. So no rent car but say we did and that would probably run over the 4 days around $200. The rooms we stayed in were beautiful and were the group rate of $269 a night. We did a jeep tour probably around 75 to 100 apiece. Add food (we ate really well!) and with tax you are looking at $1,550 for Tuesday to Friday without food. Add $350 for another plane ticket and say 300 for food for two, plus shopping and all of a sudden a three night trip there for the wife and I could be $2,200 total. We go to WDW for about $200 to 300 for air apiece, get 7 nights at Pop for 1,000 and have AP's. Add 500 for food and WDW is 2,100 for a week (excluding the sunk cost of the AP) 7 nights vs 3 nights for a similar price. We just keep on going back to WDW.

I can’t exclude the AP price from it, though. $3000 for APs for my family. So add $1000 to the overall cost of each of the 3 trips we take when we have APs. It’s the only fair way to compare, IMO.

It may still end up less espensive for you but I agree with the PP..you can't remove the investment made towards AP. AP may mean you don't have to buy tickets for each trip but you did still put X amount of money towards the costs of tickets.

Ok. So I want want to be that person but I going to anyways.
If anyone is paying $200 to rent a car for 4 days, they are getting robbed blind
you say that you had a beautiful room, what hotel at Disney would you compare it to? I’m going to go out on a limb and say it’s not pop.
You said you ate really well, I imagine that means nice sit down meals. It is impossible to “eat really well” in Disney for $500 for 7 nights.
Last but certainly not least, you can’t exclude the cost of your AP’s when calculating the cost/worth comparison.
all of that being said, if you think Disney is a great value then that is great.

When you are comparing, you can't exclude the price of AP's.

Disney hotels aren’t all that either. Booking three months out, hotels range from 239 a night to 5 or 6 hundred. The 239 option is comparable to. Fairfield Inn or Hampton Inn quiality if that, and for twice the money. Give me a Hyatt for the same price in most US cities any time.

Ok. So I want want to be that person but I going to anyways.
If anyone is paying $200 to rent a car for 4 days, they are getting robbed blind
you say that you had a beautiful room, what hotel at Disney would you compare it to? I’m going to go out on a limb and say it’s not pop.
You said you ate really well, I imagine that means nice sit down meals. It is impossible to “eat really well” in Disney for $500 for 7 nights.
Last but certainly not least, you can’t exclude the cost of your AP’s when calculating the cost/worth comparison.
all of that being said, if you think Disney is a great value then that is great.

I’m paying $300 for a rental car in Dallas for 4 days in April, using my Costco membership. My AAA discount was not as good. What am I missing???

So what you said here is that WDW going to each park then sitting at a pool is comparable to the beach? I disagree. Just like sitting at a pool at the beach is a waste, sitting at a pool at WDW is a waste, I can do that at home. The beach is the vacation and the parks are the vacation. That is what you compare, to which I do understand that most here glorify Disney. I do not, I put it right at the same as any other vacation destination.

I did compare the exact same week in June when the kids get out of school, Disney for 5 nights and Myrtle Beach for 5 nights and the cost, assuming from experience plus the cost of eating out for dinner at the beach. Disney was twice the cost not including travel (by car, Disney is <2x the distance.)

That is comparing a complete beach vacation, ocean front lunch in the room and dinner every night vs. full Disney vacation at Disney resort with Disney transportation, dining plan because of lack of ability to easily eat lunch in the room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!