Are Disney parks no longer for the Middle class?

You hit it exactly. The days of packing up, heading to the parks and spending the day riding rides and having your choice of where to eat are gone. Now it requires so much planning ahead of time (we have to eat here at this time and go on this ride at that time) it's not worth it, especially for those like myself who have been repeat customers over the years (my first trip was in '74, my last '13).

Disneyland in Anaheim is still good for this. It is expensive, but at least you don't have to plan down to the last minute. WDW drives me nuts.

Disneyland in Anaheim is still good for this. It is expensive, but at least you don't have to plan down to the last minute. WDW drives me nuts.
I have to agree. I thought that I wouldn’t like Disneyland because I was used to WDW and all of the obsessive planning involved. I was pleasantly surprised. We really loved Disneyland. We were much more relaxed. We are probably going back to WDW in 2020, but part of me wants to go back to California instead.

I have to agree. I thought that I wouldn’t like Disneyland because I was used to WDW and all of the obsessive planning involved. I was pleasantly surprised. We really loved Disneyland. We were much more relaxed. We are probably going back to WDW in 2020, but part of me wants to go back to California instead.
My thoughts and experience exactly!

That was our experience too. We don't plan on going back to WDW until 2022 (because DD wants to go to Food & Wine for her 21st birthday!), but we're heading back to Anaheim again next year. Between the lack of preplanning everything and the greater relative ease of combining the parks with other sightseeing, it is a way more attractive option for us these days than the WDW "bubble".

WDW and Disneyland are luxury vacation destinations. They're never going to be "affordable." If they were affordable, they'd be packed to the gills every day of the year.

Either stop going (literally the only thing Disney will eventually pay attention to), or stop whining about it.

It seems to be that it's become more and more pricey. I'm hoping to visit for the first time in years next January but may have to put it off again due to cost.

It may just be subjective though.

When it's cheaper to take my family of 4 to Europe for a week vs. a week Disney vacation at a Moderate level Resort, yes, it is no longer for the Middle Class.

Sure, you could do it a bit cheaper at a Value or offsite, and by packing PBJs and ham sandwiches for meals. Personally, the crowds are too crazy that I don't really care to do it in any way at all anymore.

Just realized this thread was still alive, lol.

Been reading some of the recent post and am still trying to understand how everyone thinks Disney is either a luxury vacation destination, or how they can vacation elsewhere cheaper? (Especially the one comment on Europe)?

Not to quote my entire last post, but honestly, please someone tell me how Disney is anymore expensive than anywhere else out there short of your own back yard? We just came back from our yearly trip. Stayed at CBR for 13 nights with free dining, 9 day park hoppers and the waterpark option, all for right around $5500. That's a two week all inclusive vacation for a family of 4 to Walt Disney World for $5500! I'm sorry, that's still a BARGAIN for the entertainment and experience you are getting. Try doing a two week beach trip in anything other than a roach motel, by food, and do something other than swim all day for that kind of money. Now, I guess if you want to stay uber deluxe, Poly GF etc. and are spending $600 a night for just the hotel it gets crazy, but jeez, the mods and values are great resorts at very reasonable costs for what you are getting.

I know Disney is getting more expensive, been going for 20+ years, but honestly, we still feel it is one of the best values for your vacation dollar out there. We keep trying to plan another trip, mid west, grand canyon etc. etc., and for the length of stay we are used to, with hotel, flights, food etc., were talking double the cost of our usual Disney trips.

Ok, I just priced a moderate for my travel dates. Family of 4, 8 nights, 9 day tickets with park hopper plus, staying at POR (I would have selected CBR but the standard rooms were all sold out). I am at $5647.52 before I add any dining or plane tickets (or fuel + hotel on the way + parking). Yes, I am able to go to Europe for this same time frame with everything included for similar or less than the Disney vacation that doesn't include food or travel to and from. If I want to add the dining plan, I'm at $7763.57, and I still haven't included my travel there and back.

I'm just salty today and adjusting to a new med which causes dizziness, inability to operate machinery/drive, etc. which may have meant "don't Dis." The post wasn't a clear thought. I was really thinking of how WDW seems to only be catering to the middle class and making decisions that will offend no one like making all the hotels and restaurants so much more homogenous. I wasn't trying to be snotty; just annoyed because I feel like WDW went from having a really varied offering to less and less unique offerings. It's not even really dumbed down, it's just all the SAME. I think it was great when WDW had true budget (have you seen their rates at values?) options and luxury-ish options. Now it seems like WDW just wants to give you the same option at the same price; takes away some of the specialness of the resort overall for me:( But, their decision must be correct in the market as they have larger and larger crowds.

FTR, I'm very firmly in the white linen party, so I'm part of the problem for sure. If I was running for government office though I'd run on a pro white linen/anti-zombie ticket that would be unbeatable.

ETA: I basically feel like WDW has gone after that one middle class market and it's lead to overcrowding (some of the pics I see just seem so unsafe) and making the resort more generic. Sorry, I think I'm explaining this poorly.

I loved your truthful post. Like the old saying goes, "A drunk man's words are a sober man's truth."

Your pro-white linen comment is the funniest. You shouldn't have had to defend your original post. Even though I like white linens, I didn't take that comment as literal. I know what you mean about everything just being generic and repetitive.

As a taker of Ambien, I often write controversial things on facebooks and forums at night. Even though they cause an uproar occasionally, when I read them back to myself, they are true, just not something I would normally say if I was my sober self trying not to step on toes.

As far as this whole thread goes - Disney World is only for the middle class who live in Florida. Everywhere else you need to have some extra disposable income, save for a long time, or go into debt. No possible way could we afford the trips we used to take to Disney, with our kids, coming from the northeast. We would be officially priced out. It's cheaper to go on a cruise.

We can only afford it now because we live two hours drive away, have weekday annual passes ($20 monthly for FL residents,) and either stay in the values or campground. I prefer Fort Wilderness as then we can bring our own kitchen and I am able to prepare meals at home and just freeze them to reheat while at Disney. Food cost savings are substantial that way.

The price increases have definitely made me stop and look at other vacations. But everything is really expensive. I just was looking at hotel room near a college my DD wants to visit and some rooms closest to campus on a weekend are close to $400. (Decided to stay further out for much less). And that room technically only sleeps 4 and is nothing special. That makes rooms at Disney that can fit all 5 of us seem like a deal. I’m still trying to figure out how to do a European vacation for less than Disney. I’m not that knowledgeable on European travel but it seems that the flights alone are more than a week at Disney for us.

I agree on two, I wouldn’t step foot in Six Flags (NJ) or Dorney, but there is nothing wrong with Hershey. Next best thing to Disney. Clean and 95% families.

We live 10 minutes from Dorney and get Hershey season passes, lol. (Hershey is maybe an hour away). Absolutely LOVE Hershey Park. It's our little bit of Disney at home, lol.

Ok, I just priced a moderate for my travel dates. Family of 4, 8 nights, 9 day tickets with park hopper plus, staying at POR (I would have selected CBR but the standard rooms were all sold out). I am at $5647.52 before I add any dining or plane tickets (or fuel + hotel on the way + parking). Yes, I am able to go to Europe for this same time frame with everything included for similar or less than the Disney vacation that doesn't include food or travel to and from. If I want to add the dining plan, I'm at $7763.57, and I still haven't included my travel there and back.

But you are quoting rack rates. Who pays that?

We go do WDW frequently. It's has never been anywhere close to our europe trip in cost.

But you are quoting rack rates. Who pays that?

We go do WDW frequently. It's has never been anywhere close to our europe trip in cost.

OK, so I'm going to get approx 15-20% room discount, so we're looking at~$5100 rather than $5600. Before food and travel to and from. Plane tickets, we will figure I get a pretty good deal - $200 ea, so we're at $5900. I'm not buying the $2200 dining plan, because we save money and eat more the way we want without it, but we will still have a few TS and CS restaurants so maybe $1200 for that, and we're looking at $7100.

I think just the phrase "middle class" is probably too vague. That is because my definition of middle class is people whose family income is between 40K and 75K a year. Perhaps I am wrong, but I don't see someone making 75K being able to afford multiple long vacations plus a few short ones every year, but people's experiences are always different I suppose.

As for Disney, I think that someone making between 40K and 75K a year can still afford Disney - maybe not in the same way that a lot of people on these boards do Disney, but they could still go and have a great trip.
This depends entirely on where you live. In a low cost of living area like where we live, a family of 4 making 75k can live in a decent house, drive a couple of safe, basic cars, send their kids to public school, and save for a Disney trip.

Also, as a PP noted this is really lower middle class. Middle class would extend to twice that income, and at that level Disney every year is easy for a family that is not over spending.

We are planning to rent DVC for our next trip 7 nights over Thanksgiving week. With park hoppers and DDP We are looking at right at $5000 over a holiday week. That will cover everything for us except for tips and the occasional souvenir. No one who has done any research and has a clue about discounts and pricing would pay almost $8000 for a week in a moderate. A middle class family looking to do a budget trip should look at a value hotel or stay off site anyway.

When it's cheaper to take my family of 4 to Europe for a week vs. a week Disney vacation at a Moderate level Resort, yes, it is no longer for the Middle Class.

Sure, you could do it a bit cheaper at a Value or offsite, and by packing PBJs and ham sandwiches for meals. Personally, the crowds are too crazy that I don't really care to do it in any way at all anymore.
I would love to know how you are getting Europe for a week for less than $5000 all inclusive. Plane tickets alone are on the order of $900 pp, so for a family of 4, that leaves $1400 for hotel, food, admission to attractions, transportation, and incidentals. I just don't see how that is possible.

No one who has done any research and has a clue about discounts and pricing would pay almost $8000 for a week in a moderate. A middle class family looking to do a budget trip should look at a value hotel or stay off site anyway.

So where do you see you can get a better room discount at a moderate resort? Because what I see for the fall discount right now is 15% at moderates. I'm assuming spring will be a similar discount to fall. So when I plug in that discount, it takes my original $5600 rate down to around $5100 for room plus park tickets and nothing else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter