Are reservations in advance necessary?

princessluna14

Mouseketeer
We will be staying at Aulani for 5 nights in May. I noticed today that the website will allow me to make dining reservations for our trip now. I don't really have our itinerary fleshed out, as I was hoping to adopt a more spontaneous approach to this trip than I normally do for our WDW trips. Do I need to book far in advance at Aulani like you do at WDW? Will I be able to book on the fly a day or two in advance while we are there? Or perhaps even do walk-ups?

If you want a very specific time, like sunset, for Ama Ama, then you should book early I think. I was looking for our mid-July trip, and sunset was already booked for several of the days at Ama Ama. There were still decent times, like earlier (5:30) and 7:30 onward.

I suggest you book in advance for Makahiki if there is a specific time you'd like to dine with the characters. We were a party of four and booked about 5 weeks out for the breakfast buffet. We also booked Ama Ama once for breakfast but it wasn't necessary; the view is lovely from the restaurant.

For Ama'Ama dinner yes, otherwise as long as you are a bit flexible you should be ok unless you want a character meal at a certain time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter