Are the new Minnie Vans accessible?

Nanajo1

DIS Veteran
Wondering if the Minnie Vans will be accessible for ECV or wheelchairs. I couldn't find info about this. Please point me in right direction.TIA.

Wondering if the Minnie Vans will be accessible for ECV or wheelchairs. I couldn't find info about this. Please point me in right direction.TIA.

Accessible in what way? Room for the ECV/wheelchair to be loaded in the back, or with a full out dedicated lift or ramp and tiedowns? They are using Honda Odysseys - minivans - so i don't see them able to do the lift/tiedown. They'd need conversion vans for that, right?

Accessible in what way? Room for the ECV/wheelchair to be loaded in the back, or with a full out dedicated lift or ramp and tiedowns? They are using Honda Odysseys - minivans - so i don't see them able to do the lift/tiedown. They'd need conversion vans for that, right?

Actually, depending on the company doing the conversion, a Honda Odyssey or similar can accommodate a ride range of mobility devices. It's true that in order to accommodate a seated passenger in a mobility device (wheelchair/power chair/ECV) that a "full size" van might be better suited to that particular type of conversion, but I have seen some really creative conversions. We have a neighbor who uses a wheelchair full time, and he has a custom conversion that literally lifts the entire side off of the truck, he drives on to a platform that extends from under the truck, and then rolls in to the cab, takes his place behind the wheel, and uses hand controls to drive.

But, as far as the Minnie vans go, until we see some formal announcement regarding the availability of mobility device transport, I'm going to assume that if I ride in them, I will have to load/unload (and/or partially collapse) my personal device.

PS: TimTracker on YouTube has seen what appears to be some of the fleet of the Minnie Vans "under cover" (covered in car covers) parked under Test Track. They are visible to riders on Test Track as you go around outside while on the ride!

One of our friends has a Honda Odyssey wheelchair van.
https://www.vantagemobility.com/wheelchair-vans/honda-odyssey/

This is a side entry Honda ramp van:
IMG_2458.JPG

There are also rear entry ramp vans. In our experience, those are more commonly used as taxis than the side entry vans. This is a picture of a rear entry Honda Odyssey:
IMG_2459.JPG

I have not seen anything confirming whether or not there will be any accessible Minnievans. I would be very surprised if they do not have any. To not have them would be un-equal treatment.

Last edited:
Just one correction they will be chevy mini vans not Hondas. their is video of a bunch of them at fleet control and they have a chevy emblem on the back.

Just one correction they will be chevy mini vans not Hondas. their is video of a bunch of them at fleet control and they have a chevy emblem on the back.

@disney david you are absolutely correct.

Honda did present a "Minnie Van" at D23 this past weekend. Honda even produced a short video about the the "Minnie Van". However, the Honda was dressed in pink with white polka dots (and an oversized bow above the windshield) while the prototype photos at D23 clearly showed *red* vehicles with white polka dots.

Looks like here's the scoop! Chevy Transverse will be the platform for the "Minnie Van" service at WDW. Beach & Yacht Club will test the service first!

Regardless, almost any van can be converted like the pictures that @SueM in MN posted above.

What can the Minnie van be used for? Can you go out of Disney to Universal?
What's the purpose of these vehicles?

What can the Minnie van be used for? Can you go out of Disney to Universal?
What's the purpose of these vehicles?
from what I heard it is with in Disney property, but maybe if enough people ask to go out side of Disney then maybe they would, but I am thinking there would be a nice surcharge.

as fair as usages I think it would be the same as using the Disney busses but it would be just your group, or you could go from hotel to hotel with out a transfer at a park, or maybe before the busses run they would be running theses ( but the last is a guess )

Thanks for the further information. The Chevy Transverse is a crossover SUV and could not be made accessible in the same way as a minivan can.
I don't think Chevy actually makes any vans anymore, but that doesn't mean there can't be some accessible vans from a different company.

I was not given details, but I can confirm that there will be wheelchair and ECV accessibility for both the 'Minnie' transportation vehicles and the gondola system.

There will be some size limitations - my assumption would be similar to buses that the mobility device needs to fit in a 30 inch wide by 48 inch long 'footprint'.

I'm kind of curious why anyone would think they wouldn't be accessible, doesn't ADA require transportation companies to have a certain percentage of their vehicles be accessible? And I am sure Disney has set this up as a separate company to reduce liability risks among other issues.

I'm kind of curious why anyone would think they wouldn't be accessible, doesn't ADA require transportation companies to have a certain percentage of their vehicles be accessible? And I am sure Disney has set this up as a separate company to reduce liability risks among other issues.
I had no doubt about it.

Disney would set it up as a transportation company and would be subject to ADA (or Department of Transportation) . Some other things - like Uber - are not set up the same way. I think all their drivers are independent contractors and are not subject to ADA.

@disney david you are absolutely correct.

Honda did present a "Minnie Van" at D23 this past weekend. Honda even produced a short video about the the "Minnie Van". However, the Honda was dressed in pink with white polka dots (and an oversized bow above the windshield) while the prototype photos at D23 clearly showed *red* vehicles with white polka dots.

Looks like here's the scoop! Chevy Transverse will be the platform for the "Minnie Van" service at WDW. Beach & Yacht Club will test the service first!

Regardless, almost any van can be converted like the pictures that @SueM in MN posted above.

Sad they are not doing the pink and white polka dot big bow on top van! :(

I had no doubt about it.

Disney would set it up as a transportation company and would be subject to ADA (or Department of Transportation) . Some other things - like Uber - are not set up the same way. I think all their drivers are independent contractors and are not subject to ADA.
Actually Uber and Lyft are both required to have a certain percentage if their vehicles to be ADA accessible. Originally they didn't think they did, but in many areas they had to do so in order to be allowed to access airports, then the federal government eventually stepped in and said they had to everywhere and that they can't deny service animals, etc.

Actually Uber and Lyft are both required to have a certain percentage if their vehicles to be ADA accessible. Originally they didn't think they did, but in many areas they had to do so in order to be allowed to access airports, then the federal government eventually stepped in and said they had to everywhere and that they can't deny service animals, etc.

Not exactly - there are ongoing lawsuits against Uber about accessibility, but there has been no determination at the federal level that I'm aware of.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter