• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are we going to be covered in dirt from head to toe?

the4moores

Mouseketeer
Last weekend we returned from camping at the Pinery and the ground cover there is like dust/dirt. If you touch the ground your hand is black. It was impossible to stay clean. Everyone's feet were absolutly black. What is it like at FW. Is there some grass at each site where the girls will be able to play? We will be tent camping so how big are the tent pads and what is the ground cover? Do you set up a dining tent and where do you set it up? Beside the tent or is there another area where it can be put? Thanks for any responses. Just trying to get a picture in my head.

It's been a few years since we camped at FW----(We usually fly from Washington State--that year we drove the MH) but I remember the tent area had wood chips along with a blacktop area for the car. I wish I remembered more---but I hope this helps a little. FW is the best camp ground we have ever stayed at--bar none.

Tent sites are a white sand/crushed shell mixture with a blacktop driveway for your car.

They are a large square with an an extra extension poking out the front left where the picnic table sets. The picnic table is not bolted down, so you can move it anywhere in the site you like. If you want a dining/rainfly you will have to bring your own, they don't have them.

Here is a link to a picture of an empty full hookup campsite.

http://home.hiwaay.net/~jlspence/campsite.jpg

The partial hookup campsites are a little bit wider and the paved area is shorter because they assume folks won't have big heavy campers.

Hope this helps!!

Hello Moores
We tent camped last year in October in the 1500 loop and loved it. The crushed shell surface is very soft for sleeping in a tent but it clings to your feet and everything else. We brought a door mat for outside the tent and a little piece of carpet for inside to try to keep the stuff out of the tent..... and a broom. The surface is quite soft so you need the large plastic tent pegs to get any grip in the ground. The thin metal type pegs don't get any bite and will pull right out. Our tent is 10 x 12 feet and our dining tent is 12 x 12 and we had room for both easily. Each site in 1500 loop has water (with a hose) and electricty. You will love it, but there is sooo much to do that we actually spent very little time at our site, just to sleep. We loved it so much we are going back in about a month, this time with a 'new to us' tent trailer in tow. Can't wait.
Pete.

We're heading on our first trip to FW next month. Is it possible to squeeze two tents on the site?

There will be eight of us. Three adults (grandparents) will be staying in a 40-foot motorhome parked on the site. Our family of five (my wife and I, and our 3 kids -- ages 12, 10, & 9) will be sleeping in a tent. (We love to camp!)

Usually we set up two 8-man Eddie Bauer tents when we camp -- one for the parents, and one for the kids. Natually, this gives everyone lots of room for sleeping, luggage, etc. in each tent.

We were planning on just bringing one tent for the 5 of us, but I got to wondering if there was enough room for two tents. Even if there isn't room on the sand for both, perhaps one could be set up off the sand?

That would certainly be a more roomy and comfortable option for the 11 nights we'll be there.

Thanks!

-- Scott

If you are going to be on the same site as a 40' MH I am assuming that it will be a full hookup site. Full hookup sites have a longer driveway and smaller pad area. I think it will be unlikely that you will have a site that will be big enough for 2 large tents as well as a 40' MH. Technically I think you are allowed to only have 1 car, 1 camping vehicle, and 1 tent on a single site. Although I have seen multiple tents on a site in the partial loops without a camping vehicle. Disney will not let you put a tent anywhere except on the driveway or camping pad.

I was there the middle of Aug. The pad is shell and sand and as someone said before me it does get everywhere. The door mat and carpet sound like a great idea. I think that you could probably put a tent I don't know about one the size that you are talking about. The trailer behind us had a good size dog pen on their site but I don'e think it was as big as your tent. We had a 6 man tent and a 4 man tent on our site. Make sure that you have an extra large tarp to put over the tent because the rains lately have been horrendous. We even had to did drainage ditches to keep the water away from our tents.

It is a great place to stay though and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

:bounce: :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Aug 2002 POFQ, FW, ***

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter