Are you still holding onto hope for July/August Vacation Plans?

We currently have a trip planned starting on July 5th. There was actually a cruise that was supposed to follow it on the 11th. We already have figured that the cruise is a no go. Disney at this point I would say is around a 20% possibility that it will be open. My in-laws live in Florida, and we would be happy to just get away and stay at their place for a week or so. I would only put the likelihood of being able to do that at around 50%.
I have no idea where the data from the following link is coming from, but I saw it on another thread here and checked it out, and it seems like its projections are based on at least a somewhat accurate model. The predicted numbers for Illinois so far are not too far off. It seems to be showing that if we all stay inside throughout May, this will more or less be "over" by late June. If that were the case, a mid-July opening could be possible.
https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

Because we literally just got a ' stay at home' order issued Wednesday. This should have happened a while ago. Our governor leaving it up to individual counties in my opinion is lack of leadership. Ticket people if they are ' hanging out' there sure as heck are enough cops in my area just driving around, some stopped chatting to each other.

Just a week ago, several counties had zero or one or two cases; several are still in this situation. Why issue a SAH order for those counties? Meanwhile, my county has been under a SAH order for more than a week (since before the governor made the state-wide one), and people weren't (and aren't) following it either. It's not lack of leadership; it's people being people.

Just a week ago, several counties had zero or one or two cases; several are still in this situation. Why issue a SAH order for those counties? Meanwhile, my county has been under a SAH order for more than a week (since before the governor made the state-wide one), and people weren't (and aren't) following it either. It's not lack of leadership; it's people being people.

Those were only confirmed cases. To get confirmed you have to be severely symptomatic enough to have a doctor order a test. Those results are also days old by the time they are published. If a county reports only one case, you can feel pretty confident that it is actually 10 or more people who actually have it.

Uh, because of spring breakers? Our beaches, at least by us were insane. He said not groups of more than 10, but even our governor admitted he didn't enforce it. You are entitled to your opinion, I happen to disagree....he could have prevented the spring break flood into our state if he had wanted.

Those were only confirmed cases. To get confirmed you have to be severely symptomatic enough to have a doctor order a test. Those results are also days old by the time they are published. If a county reports only one case, you can feel pretty confident that it is actually 10 or more people who actually have it.
Yeah, unfortunately this. Add to this the estimated 30% false negative test results, the delay in getting said test results, the symptomatic folks who are told just to assume positive to save a test, and the asymptomatic folks who may be unwittingly spreading it. This thing is exponential. And I'm not being a Henny Penny or anything, just facts and what I've personally seen in my circles here in central Connecticut. A couple of weeks ago I could have said that this is just an issue for the Connecticut counties close to the NYC area.

Zero chance it's back open by July or August. Zero. I know no one wants to hear this but it's just reality - even the best case scenario models that are being shared shows how easily this will flare back up if things return to normal once it's slowed down and is "controlled." I just rebooked our late April trip for Thanksgiving week (ugh) just for mental health reasons and having something to plan - but I truly will be shocked if the parks reopen normally in 2020.

I’m suppose to be going in July ... should I risk it ? Or cancel it? Will they charge me a fee?

I’m suppose to be going in July ... should I risk it ? Or cancel it? Will they charge me a fee?

Would you want to go if they were open? That's what I would base your call on. I also am scheduled to go in July and am really just seeing how things play out. If some miracle drug actually works, or the spread somehow slows down, I would love the break. If things continue to be bad, though, there's no way Disney will be open, and they will cancel on you anyway.
If you are more nervous about the virus overall, I would cancel now.

We currently have a trip planned starting on July 5th. There was actually a cruise that was supposed to follow it on the 11th. We already have figured that the cruise is a no go. Disney at this point I would say is around a 20% possibility that it will be open. My in-laws live in Florida, and we would be happy to just get away and stay at their place for a week or so. I would only put the likelihood of being able to do that at around 50%.
I have no idea where the data from the following link is coming from, but I saw it on another thread here and checked it out, and it seems like its projections are based on at least a somewhat accurate model. The predicted numbers for Illinois so far are not too far off. It seems to be showing that if we all stay inside throughout May, this will more or less be "over" by late June. If that were the case, a mid-July opening could be possible.
https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

I love your sense of optimism for July and that's why I created this thread. I am still hoping for August myself. However, this is under the assumption that while Disney and other parks and attractions are closed, they are taking advantage of this downtime and spending time cleaning, disinfecting, and preparing for re-opening. If not, then that means when the State of Florida allows tourism again, there will still be a delay of attractions opening due to time needed to clean and disinfect. Right now I think non-operational parks, hotels and resorts should be doing at least preparation of interior areas. The workers can easily maintain safe distance and separation since the rooms and inside attractions are not occupied or being utilized. If we have to wait for the quarantine to end before they start the cleaning/disinfecting process, then there is NO WAY a late summer vacation will happen.

Just canceled the August trip (rescheduled from March Spring Break). Three basic reasons. 1) My gut says IF it does reopen by then it will be limited. Whatever that entails it won’t be as fun. 2) Even with constant hand washing in park bathrooms and sanitizer after every attraction/ride there will be a gnawing feeling of worry. For example, how can we ride Smugglers Run and press all those buttons and feel OK about it? 3) Crowds and wait times could be nuts. I can’t deal with that and the August heat.

We are booked for an August trip to the Vero Beach DVC resort for a beach vacation - i'm optimistic because it's NOT the parks. Then we have a park trip scheduled for November and I feel things may be open and modified by then.

I have a NYC trip in late August, so I'm holding that...although I cancelled all my June travel 10 days ago (and only lost $30 total)...

Reasons I'm keeping it...
1. NYC is getting hammered now, so at least their curve might be the 1st to flatten
2. I am driving and was not planning any subway use, nor stops til we get to the city
3. I'm using my timeshare points which will be use or lose b/c I'm not going anywhere else - and bringing my own groceries b/c of my allergies, so that won't change
4. It's a short 4 day trip, so even if we get sick (which we won't go if I think there's any small or higher chance), we'll be home before symptoms hit and can quarantine back here
5. My Broadway tickets are thus far not refundable (and are an amazing deal for an amazing show). I'll eat the cost as a donation, but I'm saving til it gets closer
6. The Broadway show was my only "enclosed" plan so far...we have a walking food tour and a walking Manhattan tour, both outside and both PWYW and cancellable much closer...and I stopped buying anything else for the trip, so I can wait...

It's about 75% I'll cancel...but I'll hold this plan til early July b/c it's the "cheap" vacation...

How’d did you guys get out your plane tickets since it isn’t canceled yet?
If the airline cancels your flight or substantially changes your itinerary, then they have to give you your money back. I had a flight in a few weeks and last week they totally screwed with the schedule. I asked and they gave me a refund, even though it was a nonrefundable ticket.

Early August here - still optimistic. Reason being, the only resource I trust is the IHME website and there were massive improvements in the projections just over the last weekend. Nearly all states are showing the curve disappearing around June 1 today - that was mid-July last Friday. I do think it's going to take all of us continuing to live like hermits until the "curve flattening" date, whatever that ends up being, but as long as we continue seeing improvement why not continue being optimistic?

I was scheduled to go to Disney two weeks from now and considered rescheduling to August, but now I'm not so sure. I'm 50/50 on whether they will be open at all or not. But my thought is that if they're open, they'll have a lot of strict social distancing restrictions in place, and a lot of the experiences I would be interested in seeing will be limited/not re-opened yet. My gut tells me that they will have a long path back to being fully operational. I am scheduled to go again for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon weekend in November, so I am leaning towards just keeping that and NOT "replacing" my April trip with a summer trip. But things are changing so quickly with COVID that I may change my mind three or four or more times before summer! Honestly it's so hard to even know what's going to happen at this point, but I'm just keeping up with the news and keeping fingers and toes crossed that Disney will be up and running soon! I know we're all looking forward to getting back there!

Early August here - still optimistic. Reason being, the only resource I trust is the IHME website and there were massive improvements in the projections just over the last weekend. Nearly all states are showing the curve disappearing around June 1 today - that was mid-July last Friday. I do think it's going to take all of us continuing to live like hermits until the "curve flattening" date, whatever that ends up being, but as long as we continue seeing improvement why not continue being optimistic?
Fantastic resource. Thanks for sharing!

Not going to Disney this year but have a beach house rented for the first week of July. I’m planning on going as long as it’s legal to be on the beach with my family. If travel and gatherings are still being severely restricted we will just stay home and I imagine society as we know it will be crumbling so I’ll be building chicken coops and hoarding shotgun shells or something.

Nothing relating to Orlando, but I actually thought about booking a night for me and my husband, daughter and niece at the Opryland hotel in July to use their upscale water park. If it doesn't open by then, just cancel it for a full refund.

I know the answer to when the parks will be open/if it will be safe to go. Ready? Here it comes...nobody has a clue. I planned to spend my daughters sweet 16 in WDW next week and rescheduled to late August. Why? They gave us free dining and it gave me something to look forward to. Will it happen? God only knows. Even if the parks open will we feel confident in going? Will we still have jobs and be able to afford? See above. I have no clue. That to me is what is so frustrating. Stuck in this weird stasis, having no idea when not only our vacation planning but life as we knew it resumes. I almost laugh at the daily projections. “The peak is coming in the next 7 to 31 days”. “We will see 100,000 to 200,000 people die, but we might not”. That’s helpful. Thank you. I am not putting anybody down, but I just don’t think anybody has any good answers and I get very frustrated when I hear people giving opinions they present as certainty. Long story longer: my advice is to hold on to your plans and reservations as long as you can. If losing the $200 is something you can absorb wait until the last minute and decide then. If not make the call at 31 days out. Hopefully at that time there is more clarity

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!