Are you still holding onto hope for July/August Vacation Plans?

TamaraQT

DIS Veteran
We didn't get to go to Florida last year. It was the first year we missed since since DD was 1 year old. She is now 13. So I am long overdue for a Florida vacation. Some of you know how badly I wanted to go rent a home in Florida for a month and be in quarantine there instead of here in NJ. So who besides me, is hoping all of this will be behind us by June so we can move forward with our July/August Vacation Plans. If we have to cancel, I am going to need to find a support group to get me thru the separation anxiety.

I am still holding onto hope of having an August vacation in the midst of all of this COVID-19 stuff. I have continuing to make vacation plans for August (8/12 -8/29 or possibly 8/12-9/5). We planned to do a 14 day unlimited admission tickets for SeaWorld/Aquatica/Busch Gardens/Adventure Island. We always stay at timeshare resorts for the space and convenience. So far I have found owners to rent from for the 2 weeks we will be there. I plan to stay at Orange Lake Resort for a week, Westgate Vacation Villas for a week. I will need another place for 8/29 - 9/5 if we can extend our stay. I know I will find something. I may be able to spend 2 weeks at either Orange Lake or Westgate, which will be fine since I can't get enough of either one. For those of you who are familiar with my posts, you know I prefer the timeshare resorts over hotels. I love having a condo size unit with full living room, dining room and full kitchen. I love to sit out on my balcony with a cup of coffee while watching the sun come up. I also like to sit on my balcony after the kids are in bed and enjoy a relaxing and refreshing umbrella drink while enjoying the view. Needless to say, having a jacuzzi tub in the master bedroom is a huge plus. After spending a day walking in the parks, a jacuzzi tub is definitely a plus In 2018 we went to SeaWorld and had a blast. My DD13 enjoys thrill rides and I enjoy the scenery and atmosphere of SeaWorld and Busch Gardens. Also, Waterparks are a "MUST DO" when traveling in August so the included admission to Aquatica and Adventure Island come in pretty handy. The 14 day unlimited ticket include parking so there is no extra expense. I thought my DD13 wanted to go to Disney this year since we haven't been to Disney in about 4 years. To my surprise she would rather go back to SeaWorld again. When she was 9 we went to Disney and I dressed her up like Tiana. There were people who thought she was the REAL little girl version Tiana character. I little boy from the UK wanted to his mom to ask her to sign his autograph book. HOW CUTE!!!! Now she is 5'5, and if I could dress her up like Tiana, Disney may want to hire her. She really can look like the REAL character. Anyway, share your story about your July/August vacation plans. I am sure we are all hoping this COVID-19 will be over and we can go.

Yes. I really believe that if we can't resume some form of normal by June, canceling trips won't be due to travel bans, it will be due to job losses. At some point, we will have to face the risk in order to move on with our lives. Hopefully the curve was flattened enough...

We have a trip Memorial Day weekend to a place in Florida we go every year that we have not canceled yet. There are no crowds, barely any people, and we get there via boat... so I'm hoping we keep it. The kids will need it.

We have our family beach trip the week of July 4, to a beach in Florida. No talk yet of canceling.

We have a late July trip to WDW, and an October trip to WDW in the books. If things aren't open by then, we have serious issues.

What I don't know yet is if WORK travel will resume, and if so, will we be cramming in months of travel into 1 month to make up for lost time?

Yes, I just rescheduled a trip from late May/early June to late July, and fully expect it to take place at this point. These shutdowns have to be a temporary measure or the world will be dealing with a lot bigger issues than a nasty virus. Widespread starvation in some countries, lack of access to medical care and medications, etc. This state of affairs can't last until there is a vaccine (18+ months from now).

Last edited:
I'm barely holding out hope for my October trip, not that I don't think WDW will be up by then (they should be) but will it be worth my physical well-being, or quite frankly - my life, to go to WDW this year.

I will say one thing, I think the lack of firm leadership in Florida will come to be an issue and serve to highlight what not to do in wake of the pandemic. The safest people there will be the ones travelling there from outside and being placed under quarantine.

We rescheduled from April to late July...but I'm in the "we'll see" mindset with it. I just don't know what to anticipate. Will we succeed in flattening the curve? Where will we be at in the flattening by summertime? Will a solid treatment surface? Will the ability to test for antibodies surface? When will we feel comfortable around crowds again? And the big one - will DS's football camp be pushed from June to July??? :P All questions that I just don't have answers to that will weigh into how hopeful and confident I am with traveling in July.

We rescheduled from April to late July...but I'm in the "we'll see" mindset with it. I just don't know what to anticipate. Will we succeed in flattening the curve? Where will we be at in the flattening by summertime? Will a solid treatment surface? Will the ability to test for antibodies surface? When will we feel comfortable around crowds again? And the big one - will DS's football camp be pushed from June to July??? :P All questions that I just don't have answers to that will weigh into how hopeful and confident I am with traveling in July.
That’s an interesting statement, “when will we feel comfortable.” Frankly, I’m comfortable today being around people, but I’d prefer to not be packed in like Sardines, and for people to be trustworthy enough to stay home if they feel ill. (yes, I know people can carry the virus without knowing it, but I also know that people can minimize contact.)

I guess we will know more by May.

I wish this had happened last May, and we would have been “stranded” in Hawaii! A guy i know has been stuck in the Bahamas for 2 weeks beyond his trip. Rough!

Last edited:
That’s an interesting statement, “when will we feel comfortable.” Frankly, I’m comfortable today being around people, but I’d prefer to not be packed in like Sardines, and for people to be trustworthy enough to stay home if they feel ill.

I think one of the biggest concerns are not the people staying home because they feel ill. It's the people who have the virus with no signs of feeling ill - out and among the population. And we keep finding out there are more and more folks in that category who can transmit it without being sick. Hopefully, more testing will be available soon so that more people, outwardly sick or not, can be tested.

Strange times right now.....

I think one of the biggest concerns are not the people staying home because they feel ill. It's the people who have the virus with no signs of feeling ill - out and among the population. And we keep finding out there are more and more folks in that category who can transmit it without being sick. Hopefully, more testing will be available soon so that more people, outwardly sick or not, can be tested.

Yep

Right, exactly! And am I one of them??? That's why I think an antibody test would be so helpful.

I pray you will be able to for many reasons. But there will need to be a vaccine or a test for anti-bodies. Otherwise, I just do not see how we "live with this virus." Unless the number of deaths declines to a somewhat "reasonable" level though it is so virulent. I just saw that 69 docs have died in Italy...docs, not just healthcare workers. If it decimates the healthcare workers the way it has overseas, and our hospitals and doctors' offices are not back to being able to take care of people, etc I just don't see how life can be "normal." What does that even look like if people are still dying at a fairly large rate?

I'm barely holding out hope for my October trip, not that I don't think WDW will be up by then (they should be) but will it be worth my physical well-being, or quite frankly - my life, to go to WDW this year.

I will say one thing, I think the lack of firm leadership in Florida will come to be an issue and serve to highlight what not to do in wake of the pandemic. The safest people there will be the ones travelling there from outside and being placed under quarantine.
Agree 💯 we are lacking leadership in Florida! I went to a CVS to the drive thru pharmacy to pick up my monthly prescription. Guess what I saw!? People lined halfway around IHOP buildings less than a foot apart from each other. Publix parking lots looking like they are hangout spots, multiple people walking into a Firehouse subs building....even holding the door for someone else coming up behind them. The beaches are closed, obviously that was needed since spring breakers couldn't stop being on top of each other. We have been quarantine at home, but I'm guessing many people here don't really know what that means! The curve will never flatten or even go down if this behavior continues.

Last edited:
I have had reservations at Victoria & Albert's every year since 2018, our tenth wedding anniversary. I so desperately wanted to go, but we couldn't because of money. I cried when I canceled it.

I made the reservations again for 2019. Yet again, we couldn't go. Yet again, I canceled it.

I made the reservations for this year, determined to go. I really don't want this to be the third time I've had to cancel. :( I'm keeping my hopes up.

I will say one thing, I think the lack of firm leadership in Florida will come to be an issue and serve to highlight what not to do in wake of the pandemic. The safest people there will be the ones traveling there from outside and being placed under quarantine.

No, the people traveling here from outside are still going out as soon as they get here, either infecting others or getting infected themselves. They aren't quarantining. We're running into them everywhere - they're even complaining about things being closed. I heard tourists complaining that "Florida wasn't supposed to have closed everything." Stay out of our $%&* state.

I think, based on the little bit of recovery we are seeing in China now, that July "might" be the beginning of loosening of restrictions. They have been about 4 months from the beginning to the loosening that is starting this week, so that would put us at July. I would expect a possibly highly modified experience at the parks however. It will probably be a year before big crowds will be allowed to gather. JMO based on what I am reading in the press about expected timelines and expectations for recovery.

ETA: We are hoping that our provincial parks reopen by mid-summer so we can get our 'normal' summer vacation in, but trailers are already very self-sufficient so we can practice social distancing easily. We are really hoping that things are closer to normal by next March when we are scheduled to return to Disney to enjoy some of the 50th Magic!

I saw an interview this evening on the news with an epidemiologist who estimates that 25%-30% of those infected are asymptomatic & therefore spreading the virus. :(

We didn't get to go to Florida last year. It was the first year we missed since since DD was 1 year old. She is now 13. So I am long overdue for a Florida vacation. Some of you know how badly I wanted to go rent a home in Florida for a month and be in quarantine there instead of here in NJ. So who besides me, is hoping all of this will be behind us by June so we can move forward with our July/August Vacation Plans. If we have to cancel, I am going to need to find a support group to get me thru the separation anxiety.

I am still holding onto hope of having an August vacation in the midst of all of this COVID-19 stuff. I have continuing to make vacation plans for August (8/12 -8/29 or possibly 8/12-9/5). We planned to do a 14 day unlimited admission tickets for SeaWorld/Aquatica/Busch Gardens/Adventure Island. We always stay at timeshare resorts for the space and convenience. So far I have found owners to rent from for the 2 weeks we will be there. I plan to stay at Orange Lake Resort for a week, Westgate Vacation Villas for a week. I will need another place for 8/29 - 9/5 if we can extend our stay. I know I will find something. I may be able to spend 2 weeks at either Orange Lake or Westgate, which will be fine since I can't get enough of either one. For those of you who are familiar with my posts, you know I prefer the timeshare resorts over hotels. I love having a condo size unit with full living room, dining room and full kitchen. I love to sit out on my balcony with a cup of coffee while watching the sun come up. I also like to sit on my balcony after the kids are in bed and enjoy a relaxing and refreshing umbrella drink while enjoying the view. Needless to say, having a jacuzzi tub in the master bedroom is a huge plus. After spending a day walking in the parks, a jacuzzi tub is definitely a plus In 2018 we went to SeaWorld and had a blast. My DD13 enjoys thrill rides and I enjoy the scenery and atmosphere of SeaWorld and Busch Gardens. Also, Waterparks are a "MUST DO" when traveling in August so the included admission to Aquatica and Adventure Island come in pretty handy. The 14 day unlimited ticket include parking so there is no extra expense. I thought my DD13 wanted to go to Disney this year since we haven't been to Disney in about 4 years. To my surprise she would rather go back to SeaWorld again. When she was 9 we went to Disney and I dressed her up like Tiana. There were people who thought she was the REAL little girl version Tiana character. I little boy from the UK wanted to his mom to ask her to sign his autograph book. HOW CUTE!!!! Now she is 5'5, and if I could dress her up like Tiana, Disney may want to hire her. She really can look like the REAL character. Anyway, share your story about your July/August vacation plans. I am sure we are all hoping this COVID-19 will be over and we can go.

Your plans of 14 day unlimited admission to 4 different parks sounds SO wonderful right now! :)
Question - why do you stay in different condos rather than the same one for the entire trip? Also, do you ever get the Seaworld/Aquatica dining plan? I’d like to try it out one of these days!

Your plans of 14 day unlimited admission to 4 different parks sounds SO wonderful right now! :)
Question - why do you stay in different condos rather than the same one for the entire trip? Also, do you ever get the Seaworld/Aquatica dining plan? I’d like to try it out one of these days!

Yes the 14 day unlimited is GREAT. Having a rental car makes it very convenient to go to Tampa area. Before we started going to Busch Gardens, we would drive to Clearwater Beach. We would pass signs advertising Busch Gardens and promised to try it one day. I used my employers TicketsAtWork link in 2018, and got the 14 day passes for $150 each including tax. If a person/family does not have a rental car, SeaWorld provides transportation to Busch Gardens. I am not sure if the price is included in the ticket or not but I believe it is. I saw many people boarding a bus before the park opened. DH walked over and asked but he didn't ask if there was a cost/fee. We ate there twice, but wasn't impressed enough to purchase dining plan. I usually pick up a cooler from Dollar tree and pack it with ice and drinks. I get a hot/cold sealable bag from Dollar Tree and ice packs and I make sandwiches to keep in the car. On our way down we stop for breakfast. Eat sandwiches for lunch, then stop at a buffet or something on our way back. Gives us a chance to do and see different areas. My DD13 is convinced she needs to go to college at the UCF.:laughing:

Why do we stay at different condos? For the luxury of variety. We used to be Westgate Lakes owners. I bought my timeshare on resale market. My maintenance fees were over $1000 a year. Although we enjoyed going there for a week, I always wanted to try other places. Then one day I stumbled across RedWeek. I discovered I could rent a week at various resorts(including my own) for FAR LESS than I was paying in Maintenance Fees. We let our Westgate timeshare go and started renting instead. The variety and savings were far worth it. My first rental was at The Fountains resort. A week stay there was in the ballpark of $1000 - $1500 on various websites and booking directly thru The Fountains. Back in 2014 there was an owner on RedWeek that had a week he needed to use or lose before the end of July. He rented us a 2 bedroom unit for only $700. The place was fabulous. I was hooked on Redweek ever since. I also use Last Minute Rentals from Tug. I got my first Wyndham Bonnet Creek 2 bedroom Rental for only $650!!! The next year I got it for $700 but still worth it. Between TUG, Redweek and VRBO I do pretty good. Why pay maintenance fees? I get variety for far less. Of course I could go on and on. You know I like to keep typing/writing. Anyway, I got Holiday Inn Club Vacations Orange Lake West Village 2 bedroom for only $500. I got Orange Lake River Island 2bedroom $699!! We love trying different resorts but my DD13 still loves Westgate Vacation Villas the best. I rented from an owner on VRBO 3 years ago. I got a 2bedroom that included a loft with 2 twin beds so technically it was a 3 bedroom that slept 10 people. But there were only 4 of us. The owner needed to use it or lose it before August 31st. He rented the unit to me for only $400!!! Actually $399 :laughing:

I already have an owner ready to rent a 2 bedroom Westgate Vacation Villas for $800. Its not the best deal but I am contemplating. I think I may roll the dice and wait to see what's available for last minute rentals. Besides, no one knows if this COVID-19 mess will be over with by then or not. :confused3

Agree 💯 we are lacking leadership in Florida! I went to a CVS to the drive thru pharmacy to pick up my monthly prescription. Guess what I saw!? People lined halfway around IHOP buildings less than a foot apart from each other. Publix parking lots looking like they are hangout spots, multiple people walking into a Firehouse subs building....even holding the door for someone else coming up behind them. The beaches are closed, obviously that was needed since spring breakers couldn't stop being on top of each other. We have been quarantine at home, but I'm guessing many people here don't really know what that means! The curve will never flatten or even go down if this behavior continues.

I am curious how you view this as a lack of leadership. People simply don't listen--but that's not the fault of the leaders who have been telling people to stay home.

I am curious how you view this as a lack of leadership. People simply don't listen--but that's not the fault of the leaders who have been telling people to stay home.
Because we literally just got a ' stay at home' order issued Wednesday. This should have happened a while ago. Our governor leaving it up to individual counties in my opinion is lack of leadership. Ticket people if they are ' hanging out' there sure as heck are enough cops in my area just driving around, some stopped chatting to each other.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!