Armed man arrest at Disney Springs garage on NYE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough I suppose. Though it's just not going to happen. First off, a terrorist attacking Disney World is going to be much more impactful in news and terror than one attacking a shopping mall, even one with Disney's name on it. Though obviously at least one terrorist has been documented having thought about it. Second, putting metal detectors at all the entrances and exits, and people to man them, would be prohibitively expensive. Third, it would be a hassle to shoppers. There are lots of places to shop and eat in Orlando that don't require entrance lines and metal detectors and the hassle. There aren't any amusement parks that work the same way. So there are different expectations and, therefore, different barriers to entry. I promise putting metal detectors and security on Disney Springs would dramatically lower traffic, lower traffic lessens the appeal to stores and restaurants, fewer stores and restaurants means less to draw the remaining people... and what you have is a death spiral.
You are right it would be expensive and certainly inconvenient, but if I'm happy to do it at the parks I'm sure that for safety I would be happy to do it at DS.

BTW I didn't know about the terrorist's plan, but in this article it says it was DS that they were planning on attacking.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna860786

I guess y'all know this, but A LOT of people carry pistols with them EVERYWHERE THEY GO - unless they are physically stopped from doing so. You can be upset about it, but it's not gonna change. ...and one of those folks may save your life one day.

I guess y'all know this, but A LOT of people carry pistols with them EVERYWHERE THEY GO - unless they are physically stopped from doing so. You can be upset about it, but it's not gonna change. ...and one of those folks may save your life one day.

The "good guy with a gun" theory has been debunked time and time again. You can be upset about it, but data and research have proven it to be false. It's a deadly American fantasy.

The "good guy with a gun" theory has been debunked time and time again. You can be upset about it, but data and research have proven it to be false. It's a deadly American fantasy.

Well a good guy with a gun isn't going to shoot up the place so who cares if they are carrying or not.
Unless you live, or only travel to places in the US where concealed or open carry is completely illegal then chances are high that you have been in the same area as good guys with guns before. Luckily most people don't "know" it because there aren't random crazy bad guys pulling theirs out.
I'd rather have the good ones around me than the bad guys with guns, but YMMV if you want to rely on data to keep you safe if needed.

Last edited:

I've never heard it debunked; and there was another example of a good guy with a gun at a church in Texas a few weeks ago. Like I said: you can be upset about it, but it's not gonna change.

Your research, if you did any, is flawed. There are more examples that I can count where the "good guy with a gun" has acted to thwart a bad guy.

Like other have said, you are not going to know if someone is carrying concealed, even in states like NY, MA, NJ CA, etc. The good guy is not the crazy waving it around shooting anything that moves.

You may not like guns, that's your right. My job is to protect my family, I will do that with any and all means available and you won't know what I have available until I need to use it. In victim enablement zones, I'll have something, it isn't going to be my first choice (as I am a law abiding gun owner) but I'll have something. You can choose otherwise.

Can we move this discussion on? The good guy with a gun thing is not germane to this discussion. In the case of the man arrested, it's because he concealed a weapon without having a concealed carry permit. That was an all-too-common bit of stupidity for gun carriers. Follow the rules and follow the laws.

What are u even talking about, please inform and post factual data about this. I've never heard of "good guy with gun" theory. There are tons of bad guys with guns that dont go around shooting people, this has nothing to do with good guy vs bad guy, heck even a bad guy carrying a gun could save your life some day. The people that are doing the public shooting are either terrorist or have psychological issues. Alot of the shooting are from teenage to young adults that had friends, family, done good in school, helped out in their communities, were considered as very good people. It takes a terrorist, psychopath or someone that has had a psychological breakdown to just randomly take another life without reason. If you actually take the time and truly research all of the incidents, not just what the tv media headlines, u would see that the shooting where multiple people were killed, the shooter was able to keep killing for several minutes until law enforcement showed up but at the shooting where a normal civilian was carrying a gun, the shooter was subdued in seconds limiting the body count and saving countless lives. If more people, that are legally licensed and properly trained, would start carrying guns there would be a whole lot less shootings and less people dying during a shooting. I'm not going to get into this conversation any further cause I know how it will end, but I cant stand when someone that doesn't have a clue just posts something like this. If ur child was locked down in a mall with a shooter and the cops are on the outside cause they cant go in, u would literally be praying for a guy with a gun to be in the mall to kill the shooter before something happened to ur child, that I guarantee.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!