As the virus drags on, are you relaxing your own standards?

I guess I'm glad to realize something I never said to the contrary :confused3 Funny too considering my comment to the other poster was in direct relation to them getting close to their loved ones so yeah..you're barking up the wrong tree here.

Didn't realize I was barking up your tree??? I simply talked about my pet peeves. I was not directly quoting you or speaking to you.

You can probably now put me in the category of "yes, we've loosened our standards" because I just booked a hotel in Anaheim for Labor Day weekend and we're going to be going to Disneyland.

I don't care if we have to wear masks the entire time.
I don't care if we only get to go on a few rides.
I don't care if it's a hassle.
Yes, we'll follow all of the Disney recommended guidelines and requirements of guests.
We'll sanitize the hell out of our hands all day.
I'll sanitize the chairs and tables we sit at when we eat.
I don't care if everybody judges me.

I survived frickin' breast cancer last year, double mastectomy, and reconstructive surgery. My DH and I are making it to 25 years of marriage this summer. I want to live and celebrate that. I'm going to eat an expensive-as-heck fancy dinner at Napa Rose or Steakhouse 55 and we're going to have an awesome time experiencing Star Wars Galaxy's Edge for the first time.
DLR has announced an opening date?

well at work, no, but at home yes. An older lady I work with who was terrified of this virus is now saying she won't wear a mask at the end of the month, in public. I think everyone is over it.
I don't go out much since mask are generally required or recommended. I wear them enough at work and I'd rather stay home than wear one.

I was panicked in the beginning. Three of our household members worked essential jobs and they were the only ones really going out. Then the rest of us went back to work. So we are all out and about for our jobs. We've had friends over a couple of times and I'm now seeing my parents since they never stopped social distancing anyhow. We still haven't gone out much except for grocery shopping and work even though most things are now open here. In my defense though we never really did. Museums are opening next week though and I plan on taking my youngest. He's worked as a cashier this whole pandemic and he misses the history museum so we'll be there, masks and all.

DLR has announced an opening date?

Not officially, but all of the signs point to 7/16. If you go on the Disneyland website right now and try to buy a 1-day ticket, the earliest date you can select is 7/16. The earliest date available for new on site hotel reservations is also 7/16.

My household did social distancing from everyone from the day they announced stay at home (approx March 16) until they annouced reopening in phases. I worked from home and only went to grocery store once a week with mask. My husband owns a small business and was going to people's homes to do electrical work or estimates with a mask. My 22 year old came home from college and was only going out to store maybe every 2 weeks for a minute with a mask. We all went on walks in neighborhood and local trails. We didn't see my in-laws or my mom.

Starting on Memorial Day my son and I went to my mom's house and sat outside with my brother and family. 6 feet apart and no going inside. Then I met with my best 3 friends outside in someone's backyard a few times for drinks. My son went to some friend's houses who had also been inside for the stay at home. My son went to his dad's house (my ex husband) for the first time last week and has been there since. We have always gotten take out and delivery. My husband and I haven't been to restaurants or bars but it's more because of a budget we've made rather than worry about the virus. I go into any store now and wear a mask if they mandate it. We never did the washing of clothes or packages or groceries - just basic sanitizer and hand washing. I just went to my mom's and order DoorDash and ate indoors while visiting with her (she is 79). Used a lot of sanitizer and wiped everything down.

My husband and I also went back to our boot camp gym. I went to the zoo and walked around away from other people. Things feel semi normal. I would be fine going back to normal but want to make sure my mom and in laws are safe.

We’ve absolutely loosened up, although we weren’t that strict to begin with. Our area has been open a month now and life feels about 80% back to normal. We go out to eat and go shopping and do pretty much everything we used to. Movie theaters still aren’t open and not every restaurant has opened back up but enough have that there’s plenty to choose from.

For the past month my kids (18&16) have been getting together with their friends as usual. We didn’t allow that during the official stay home order but once it was lifted they were back to sleepovers and pool parties. They have both worked since the beginning (gas station and Walmart) so they’ve been out with the public the whole time. I get together with friends/family, we don’t wear mask, we hug each other.

We only wear mask when required. Yesterday I went for a mammogram and had to wear one, went to Target and didn’t, went to the T-Mobile store to trade in our phone and mask were mandatory, went to the mall and didn’t wear one, but when I went into American Eagle they made me put one on. I do not use hand sanitizer at all. I despise the stuff and feel it weakens people’s immune systems. I’m of the opinion that exposure to germs is good for having a healthy immune system. I do wash with soap and water but no more than I always have, before eating, after using the bathroom, etc. We never sanitized stuff coming into the house, mail or groceries or anything.

We live about 2 hours away from the lake of the ozarks. We weren’t at the memorial weekend pool party but I feel like the fact that it’s been almost 2 weeks and no one else has turned up positive should tell people something. We know one person there was positive. They were all crowded in, no mask, partying, and no one else is sick! Same with the hairdresser who worked while sick. The headline was over 140 exposed! But guess what, it’s been over 2 weeks and not one of those exposed people is in infected. I will continue to do anything that is allowed. I will wear my mask when it’s mandatory but I’m not happy about it and hope it ends soon as people realize the odds of actually catching it are very small, and even if you do catch it the odds of actually being sick are small, and even if you do get sick, the odds of getting seriously ill are incredibly small!

We have been really good with the social distancing over the last few months. My DD21 had only seen her boyfriend and his family from March 9th to May 15th. His family closed their house to everyone but her and we did the same. DS23 and DH had only seen 2 friends each (outside with social distancing). They also spent time on the golf course. I hadn’t been anywhere except for the grocery store once a week. I’m a middle school teacher and was working like crazy doing distance learning. That’s how it WAS.

Virginia moved to Phase I a couple of weeks ago. DD went up to her college to help her graduating boyfriend move home. She saw about 15 friends over the week she was there and had food and drinks on restaurant patios several times. I wasn’t totally happy about the number of people she saw, but it was out of my control. DS added a few more friends to his routine over the last couple of weeks as well. A week and a half ago, I finally left the house to go to a park, people watch and feed the ducks. Then this past weekend, we had dinner and drinks on a restaurant patio on Friday, and had a couple over for social distancing dinner and drinks on our deck on Sunday. Midweek I went over to another friend’s house for drinks around their outdoor firepit. It was nice to get out. I was a little nervous, but it was all outside with distancing.

Things sort of went crazy yesterday. Yesterday was our last day of school. All faculty and staff had to participate in an outdoor drive up book return because all the kids had to return the books they’d been using for the last 10 weeks of distance learning. Then we had to bucket brigade/human chain all the books back into the building and into the classrooms. It was 96 degrees outside. Most of us had masks on most of the time. I didn’t wear one because my job was to direct traffic. I was isolated and didn’t come in contact with anyone. But I did talk to a few of my teacher friends without a mask a couple of times - outside and not super close. During the bucket brigade was probably the closest I got to anyone. I didn’t think anything of it until today.

Today one of my teacher friends texted me that her nurse daughter just tested positive for Covid-19!!! Just got the test results back this morning. And her other daughter has symptoms too. She and her husband have 5 adult children plus two of the kids’ spouses and one baby living in their house right now. 10 people- all exposed now. And DD’s boyfriend is friends with her sons and was over at their house visiting for a few hours Saturday night. He and DD then spent all day Sunday together. Yikes!!! So he was exposed, and if he has it, DD has been exposed. DD also marched on Monday and Wednesday in 2 daytime protest marches (without our knowledge, wearing a mask but with hoards of people). So all that careful quarantining has been undone in just a couple weeks’ time. I hope and pray we all stay healthy. If we do, it will be because masks and hand washing saved us.
:flower3: I hope you all stay well but would you consider coming back to update us? Yours is a very interesting set of circumstances where you have a fair number of people who are all known to you that have been exposed to a confirmed case. I realize it's not "scientific" but it would be worth knowing how many of you (hopefully not any!) contract it from what sounds like relatively casual contact. Any of us could be exposed in the same way at any time without knowing it.

Usually no. But today I went the beach with dd and dgd. And not a lot of people and everyone was apart from each other.
We were there for a couple hours then went across the water to a famous food drive in for food and ice cream.

It was the first “old normal” I felt since this pandemic began But I did have my mask on ordering with the car hop.

We were forced to relax of social distancing the past two days. Our dog became violently ill and started hemorrhaging blood. He had to rush her to the emergency vet hospital. Even though they were able to take her from our car directly, we still had to interact with people. She stayed overnight and was treated with iv drugs. She's home now. We gave her a bath immediately when she came home to try to wash away the germs. Of course, we're worried about Covid exposure through this experience but we had to save our sweet girl. She's going to be fine, thankfully.

Anyone else getting cabin fever from this pandemic?
A bit. I've missed 3 scheduled trips to WDW from Michigan so far this pandemic, and the wife and I's October anniversary trip is quashed as well I think.

I'm missing it pretty hard. We have immunocompromised in our household and have been self-quarantined pretty hard-core. I'm hopeful they will figure out how to do a fireworks show by the end of summer. If they can figure that out, I still won't go to the parks, but I'll book a trip just for the adults to a deluxe resort with a balcony view of MK.

If they get fireworks by October, I threatened to buy a VIP tour to get us back-lot access to the park attractions for one day; definitely if they get character meets rolling by then. It's crazy to drop that much so 3 people can walk through the park without being shoulder to shoulder with endless humanity, but that's where my brain is at now.

:flower3: I hope you all stay well but would you consider coming back to update us? Yours is a very interesting set of circumstances where you have a fair number of people who are all known to you that have been exposed to a confirmed case. I realize it's not "scientific" but it would be worth knowing how many of you (hopefully not any!) contract it from what sounds like relatively casual contact. Any of us could be exposed in the same way at any time without knowing it.
Yes! I’ll come back and update everyone. DD was a little freaked out by the exposure, so she went and got a nasal swab test this afternoon. It may be too early to tell, but she wanted to be tested anyway. Her boyfriend’s parents both got furloughed, and they don’t have health insurance right now, otherwise he’d have gotten tested today too. He’s going to lay low until DD’s test results come back or he develops symptoms. I’ll keep in touch with my teacher friend as well to see how her family is fairing.

Yes! I’ll come back and update everyone. DD was a little freaked out by the exposure, so she went and got a nasal swab test this afternoon. It may be too early to tell, but she wanted to be tested anyway. Her boyfriend’s parents both got furloughed, and they don’t have health insurance right now, otherwise he’d have gotten tested today too. He’s going to lay low until DD’s test results come back or he develops symptoms. I’ll keep in touch with my teacher friend as well to see how her family is fairing.
I wish you all well. :grouphug:

The question internally for many is how long will you stay away for a virus that isn't necessarily going to go away?
We're isolating until the risk of/from infection diminishes significantly. If that takes another 6 or 8 months then that's what it takes. Our reason for self-isolation hasn't changed since March.

And for the thought process you mention an effective treatment isn't a substitute.

Well... it is and it isn't, but mostly it is. Consider HIV. Our social behavior changed dramatically as that disease started killing us off. We've become far more careful as a species in this regard as a result, which is a good thing. But the risk of a death sentence paralyzed us beyond engagement in risky behavior, there was anxiety over entirely normal things ("should I let my children play at an HIV+ friends house"). The advent of anti-viral therapies and widely available testing took a part of the risk away and with it the excesses of caution.

My prediction is that we'll get a vaccine rolling out in 6-9 months and within 3 months we'll have treatment options that dramatically reduce the mortality. Likely a vaccine would be developed and distributed yearly, but mrna based vaccines may prove more durable. We could get universal anti-body testing rolled out within another month or two if we wanted to.

It doesn't really take a treatment option or vaccine to make living safer. It just takes getting the active case count below what's needed for the virus to spread exponentially. A percent of China's population caught this bug and now, even with the country broadly re-opened they get 'spikes' of a few dozen new cases once every week or so. I would feel safe enough to spend the day in Shanghai Disneyland tomorrow.

So for us...

DH and I never really stayed home so to speak, it really was not a option... Faith over Fear...

DH works in essential service's... as far as our daily routine it really did not change that much... He was working more, I made us each a mask before my sewing machine went kaput... bought extra hand sanitizer, soap to keep in his car and wipes for him for work...and kept some for me...

My parents are in the age bracket, and both of them have compromise immune systems... both had been in and out of the hospital for unrelated issues, before all this started... so them staying home was a must... so I have been doing all the shopping, taking them to follow up visit at the doctors office, and its 130 miles round trip to their house and back... I was out shopping some times as early as 6:00 am, standing in line to be able to get most of the things that they needed... and they will not order, and/or have it delivered...they think that someone will steal their identity's...its just the way they are...not going to change them...

So I am a hand washer, this is not something new for me, I have been doing this my whole life... this is something that you are taught as a child, and in school... I worked in healthcare, and so I am a bit a germaphob... I carry wipes with me everywhere, and this is not something new, I always have done these things... I have always wiped down airplane seats, tray tables, and boy have I gotten alot of side eye and eye rolls, I guess I wasn't so crazy after all.. I wipe down hotel rooms each time we return, I don't make a big deal of it, I just do it and move on... I wipe off grocery carts the whole cart not just the handle... I wipe off Tables and Chairs at Disney, or in fast food places and think nothing about it... I wipe off the counters and island in the house with bleach wipes after I put the grocery away, again something that I have always done...So I am really just doing what I have always done...

After the first few day of the media and all their fear mongering... we stopped watching, we would watch the President and the Governor speak and that was it... for us it was to find out for DH's job and for me traveling back and forth with a curfew... I had to tell my parents stop watching the news... they honestly believed that if they went outside they would get it and die right there on the driveway... there are many older people that are shut in and that's their link to the outside world...

On the weekend when everything was shut down we would get in the truck and just drive around, through the Disney property, just to get some Disney magic, over to coast, checking out place to take our boat, We did haul our boat out several times, we just went to another county locally where the boat ramps were opened, and put in...

We went as far as going to GA so that my DH could get his hair cut and we could eat in a restaurant for our anniversary, Seasons 52 really nice meal, and we went shopping, and drove up into the Mountains in north Georgia, antiqued a bit and stayed in a hotel...

We hauled our boat over to the river and head into the gulf, and it was packed, lots of people on and in the water, Great Memorial Day weekend and pretty much in these little towns everything was open for business...and no-one was wearing mask... small town Americans trying to survive...

Now that things are starting on opening up, We have eaten out... numerous times, I am shopping, sometimes with a mask sometimes without...I am noticing that more and more people are not wearing mask while shopping...

They opened up our community pool, and just rearrange the furniture.... which people just move around to suit them... and really with all the chlorine, which is basically bleach, and 90+ degrees... I don't think many people are really worried about it.. kids are playing on the steps with each other... adults talking to each other...

I feel our Governor is doing the right thing, opening slowly... we are just in phase two, the are opening movie theaters 50% and now you can sit at the Bar and eat in a restaurant 50%... retail 100%, gosh I hope that means that they are going to open the fitting rooms... Universal opened today... and Disney next month... looking forward to getting back to normal...

As far as the vaccine goes...for my family, we get flu shots every year for influenza so we will get the vaccine for this...

As far as the hand washing and hand sanitizer, wipes in my bag... this is just part of my daily life for the past 35 years or more... so this is not going to change...

As far as the mask wearing... It's not good wearing a mask all the time, it can effect your immune system and start to break it down, some germs are good, and helps your immune system stay on point.. they beat us in the head with classes...

And if we are suppose to be social distancing and wearing mask... why are people protesting and are not keeping with the social distancing guidelines, and most are not wearing mask... In no way am I saying that they should not peacefully protest what happened, which is terrible and should be held accountable just like anyone else and that they have the right to protest and with that they should be held to the same standard at these events, that everyone is being held to in our daily life...
So this could cause another spike... so what then... Again everyone should be held to the same guidelines... if not then we should just open up and get on with it... Just my thoughts..

Wishing peace and pixie dust for all...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!