As the virus drags on, are you relaxing your own standards?

Not that I've seen. It seems to be more a matter of now that it is recognized, doctors are starting to identify it in more places. But it seems to be a few cases here and a handful there, no real clusters other than the original (NYC/NJ still account for most U.S. cases) and no big surge. I saw one article that suggests the syndrome is similar to the cytokine storm that killed younger SARS patients during that outbreak years ago and another that suggests black children may be more vulnerable to the syndrome, but both were based on small, pre-publication studies and neither had enough new information to attract major news attention.
Thanks for that information. I have not seen a single data set here in Canada that has broken cases down by race or ethnicity. Did black children make up a disproportionate number of the cases diagnosed in people under 18 in the US?

A little OT but I am quite familiar with cytokine storm - a close family member has managed to survive it twice; brought on by various treatments for chronic lymes disease.

That is really interesting.

In my county they do break cases down here for us by race and 75% of our cases are Hispanic/Latino, as of today. And 95% of those who tested positive under the age of 18 are Hispanic/Latino (54 of 57 as of 5/21). We do have a large Hispanic/Latino population here, but they only represent 32% of the youth under 18, so something is definitely going on there. They were doing target testing in those communities and many cases were clusters within individual households, which would account for some of this, but it's still disproportionate. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any further follow up to why they think it's going on.

Last edited:
Thanks for that information. I have not seen a single data set here in Canada that has broken cases down by race or ethnicity. Did black children make up a disproportionate number of the cases diagnosed in people under 18 in the US?

A little OT but I am quite familiar with cytokine storm - a close family member has managed to survive it twice; brought on by various treatments for chronic lymes disease.

It has been hit or miss how much demographic data is available. My state has made age breakdowns available as well as race breakdowns, but not age breakdowns by race so it would be impossible to say what percentage of under-18 cases are in black children. And even in states where that data is available, a lot of the kids impacted by the syndrome weren't diagnosed until they presented with the syndrome; between a high rate of asymptomatic/mild cases in young people and low testing rates that until recently depended on symptoms, they're a group where many or most cases are likely to go undetected unless they develop rare complications (either a serious case or the syndrome).

The study that suggests black children are more effected came from France and had a very small sample size of just a few dozen cases. But among those cases, half were children with African ancestry. France doesn't ask racial questions on their census, which makes it hard to get a neat percentage for comparison but estimates suggest between 13 and 15% of the French population is of African descent.

We had lunch in a restaurant yesterday! We don’t usually go downtown to eat but this is one of our favorite places so we wanted to support them. We made a reservation online and had to check a box during that process stating that none of our party had knowledge of being around anyone with a confirmed case. The site also informed us that instead of tipping, a fee would just be added to the bill to be shared among all staff. When we arrived we were provided a ziplock bag to place our masks in at our table. We QR coded our way to the menu, though they asked if we wanted paper menus but we said no thank you as we had one phone on each side of the table. Everything else about the experience was perfectly normal. There were three other seated parties and two more arrived while we were there. I have no idea how restaurants will make any money with the reduced capacity. The fee was 22% of the bill, so at least staff is being taken care of in some fashion. And the tiramisu was totally worth it!

It has been hit or miss how much demographic data is available. My state has made age breakdowns available as well as race breakdowns, but not age breakdowns by race so it would be impossible to say what percentage of under-18 cases are in black children. And even in states where that data is available, a lot of the kids impacted by the syndrome weren't diagnosed until they presented with the syndrome; between a high rate of asymptomatic/mild cases in young people and low testing rates that until recently depended on symptoms, they're a group where many or most cases are likely to go undetected unless they develop rare complications (either a serious case or the syndrome).

The study that suggests black children are more effected came from France and had a very small sample size of just a few dozen cases. But among those cases, half were children with African ancestry. France doesn't ask racial questions on their census, which makes it hard to get a neat percentage for comparison but estimates suggest between 13 and 15% of the French population is of African descent.
The gaps in consistent data make it really hard to determine if there's some genetic propensity or if it has to do with cultural living conditions or whatever else might be at play.
We had lunch in a restaurant yesterday! We don’t usually go downtown to eat but this is one of our favorite places so we wanted to support them. We made a reservation online and had to check a box during that process stating that none of our party had knowledge of being around anyone with a confirmed case. The site also informed us that instead of tipping, a fee would just be added to the bill to be shared among all staff. When we arrived we were provided a ziplock bag to place our masks in at our table. We QR coded our way to the menu, though they asked if we wanted paper menus but we said no thank you as we had one phone on each side of the table. Everything else about the experience was perfectly normal. There were three other seated parties and two more arrived while we were there. I have no idea how restaurants will make any money with the reduced capacity. The fee was 22% of the bill, so at least staff is being taken care of in some fashion. And the tiramisu was totally worth it!
This is definitely an issue. Many restaurants here have declined to re-open under those conditions. Only the corporate chain places are really going for it. We had brunch at Denny's yesterday (first time out since March 14). Due to the layout of the restaurants they are only able to fill one-in-three tables at any given time in order to meet the personal distancing guidelines.

You paid a 22% fee to eat in the restaurant? Is this vs take out or would take out have the same fee?

Yes, a 22% fee in lieu of a tip. While making the reservation we were made aware that a fee would be applied, but we only found out the percentage when we received the bill. As people who used to wait tables in our youth, we were fine with it. I have no idea if takeout would have the same fee, as I haven't done takeout from the same establishment.

This is definitely an issue. Many restaurants here have declined to re-open under those conditions. Only the corporate chain places are really going for it. We had brunch at Denny's yesterday (first time out since March 14). Due to the layout of the restaurants they are only able to fill one-in-three tables at any given time in order to meet the personal distancing guidelines.

Yeah, we have friends who own bars and restaurants, and this is of course a hot topic of discussion. Profit margins are never great to begin with, so some are still closed right now.

Yeah, we have friends who own bars and restaurants, and this is of course a hot topic of discussion. Profit margins are never great to begin with, so some are still closed right now.
That was one of the reasons business owners on the other side of the state line from me rallied hard because the conditions set forth by the mayor for reopening were not business feasible. It's better for them now especially as some areas were able to move stuff to the streets and parking lots.

The restaurant we went to yesterday morning for breakfast was First Watch. The location we went to already had an outdoor dining area (which is why we went to that location over a closer location) but they had actually moved some of their tables outside where they could still be placed enough apart (just spilling over their normal area for patio dining) to allow for further distancing inside. That won't work everywhere unfortunately though.

On a side note I know some people were talking about experiences, that place we went to was using real plates, real silverware, real cups, and mugs. Their menus were thinner paper than normal (which is usually more of a cardstock) so my assumption is they are disposing of them now. Either case we had hand sanitizer with us and just used that after touching the menus.

We'll be venturing out a bit more to ease into dine-in so I'm interested in what other places are doing.

Absolutely not relaxing anything. Positive cases have been doubling since reopening. Thanks to everyone of the people who won't wear a mask or stay home my family must stay home longer.
You need to also look at the % of positive because more people are getting tested so the numbers will go up and but the % has gone down

Yes, a 22% fee in lieu of a tip.
And it wasn’t clear this fee was for the servers tip? I have seen discussion of restaurants adding COVID fees and that was for the restaurant owner not the sever. It will be a long time before I eat in a restaurant so it is not something I have run across yet.

I’m not quite comfortable eating in a restaurant yet either. I’ve always been a “slow adapter” - which usually refers to inching into new tech, but I’m definitely feeling it now as well. It seems like just as I get comfortable with one set of rules, they change!

I’m not quite comfortable eating in a restaurant yet either. I’ve always been a “slow adapter” - which usually refers to inching into new tech, but I’m definitely feeling it now as well. It seems like just as I get comfortable with one set of rules, they change!
Ya gotta do what works for you. We have but it was a place a friend owns and I know what they are doing because I asked them.

You need to also look at the % of positive because more people are getting tested so the numbers will go up and but the % has gone down
I don't know where to find percentages. My state dashboard gives daily updates on positive results and deaths. When there are still 400-500 new positives every day that is concerning. Before we started opening we were 300-400 so it is going up in my state. People might be tired of staying home but as a country we had one of the lightest responses and it shows in our numbers. We should have done with Italy and Spain or New Zealand and Australia did. Shut it down.

I don't know where to find percentages. My state dashboard gives daily updates on positive results and deaths. When there are still 400-500 new positives every day that is concerning. Before we started opening we were 300-400 so it is going up in my state. People might be tired of staying home but as a country we had one of the lightest responses and it shows in our numbers. We should have done with Italy and Spain or New Zealand and Australia did. Shut it down.
I don't know what state you live in but here is another example this is Florida. Your state should have theses figures too. Check your states website. If they don't have them email the state, your state congress person and ask for the information or why it is not available.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/he...t-theres-good-news-too/ar-BB15cCaQ?li=BBnb7Kz

If you can't find them on your state's dashboard, covidactnow.org compiles them. There's a couple day lag getting the info from them, but it is more user-friendly than many of the state sites.

If you can't find them on your state's dashboard, covidactnow.org compiles them. There's a couple day lag getting the info from them, but it is more user-friendly than many of the state sites.
Hopefully that site continues to update. We have about twice as many contact tracers as it says we have :oops:

The WHO now says catching COVID from asymptomatic people is “very rare”

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/08/asy...WkX28PZ59OLgmfJDZ7T33hYSG2n8-bEyqpKcSkzuZk5yY

That was Tuesday today is another day
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/m/0d9...5585e4ca90b/asymptomatic-transmission-of.html
I am much more relaxed, we've gotten together with friends and family, my kids who are here at home have spent weekends away with friends, had friends over to the house and gone out to do stuff with friends. We have plans in the next few weeks to attend large parties too.
I'm going out in pubic more (still wear a mask) and will continue to as more things open up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter