As the virus drags on, are you relaxing your own standards?

The virus is weakening. Yes it's still around and probably always will be in a weakened form. Hospitalizations in my area are way down 84 per day at the peak ( I live in a VERY large county and that number doesn't reflect Chicago) to 0-2 hospitalizations per day in the last week and a half.

We are still being cautious but I no longer wipe the groceries down when I buy them. Just gotta wash hands. Best medicine is fresh air!

Do you think it's weakening in it's actual severity for an individual who catches it, or do you mean weakening in terms of how quickly it's spreading?

Just wanted to hear your thoughts since I live in Illinois too. We are watching and waiting to see if DS is going to be able to start college next year on campus or if they will declare it online only. Seems like most are leaning towards wanting to be in person. It's so hard to really assess personal risks since we were seeing people in our age group getting very very sick, and sadly even dying, at the beginning of this, and now it feels like there is a disconnect with the information

No evidence that it's weakening, just a theory. I think, for sure, that the R naught has decreased (how many people can spread it to another person) and that is directly attributable to things we've done as a society with our behaviors (teleworking, masking, distancing) and it helps that it's getting nicer outside and people are less huddled indoors. I can say that at least in my area where people cannot do those things such as essential workers and other people who are not allowed to stay home from their jobs, it seems to still be running rampant in that regard. Think about meat plants.

Faith over fear? Really? So the 110,000 people who died from this didn't have enough faith? :sad2::sad2::sad2: Because that's what you're telling them.

NO !!! Absolutely not.... that's not at all what I was saying - Those are your words above .... How dare you!!!! try to twist mine.... and by no means would I ever ever, begin to talk, or tell someone else, about their faith, or belief's, or religion or make some type of assumptions on such a personal matters... you on the other hand... had no problem making a statement and an assumption on what I was saying...so that's completely on you.

For all those people who lost their life and the families effected by this, my heart and prayers are with you...

Faith over Fear.... Faith can and does mean different things to different people... Faith in oneself, Faith in Family, Faith in others, Faith in your God... Faith that we all can get through this... Faith that your God whoever that might be will see you through this... and that you are not letting Fear rule you, your not letting fear control you, that you are stronger than your own fear...

If you took the time to read the sentence before... I said that DH and I did not really have a choice to stay home.... so for us it was a matter of Faith over Fear...
Faith in ourselves to stay safe and follow the guideline, Faith that we could do what was necessary and protect ourselves and stay vigilant... and at the same time be able to keep our family safe... and keep our own fear's tapped down to be able to do those things... and trusting in our own faith, that God would show us the way, giving us the courage and strength to go out and take care of our family that needed it, and not only for DH to stay safe, for him to have the wisdom and strength, and shoulder the responsibility... to help and guide the men that work for him stay safe so that they could go home to their own families safely... offer assurance's and help to his customers, which in turn helps the public stay safe... Which I am proud that my DH gladly took the responsibility on, and never once wavered in his commitment... Our Faith...

And if you would have kept reading, I went on to explain why we could not stay at home... Not everyone was or is able to stay home...

This is really quite presumptuous of you.

Next time if you are unclear of what someone is saying, or the meaning .... its okay to ask to clarify it for you...

So with that... Bless your Heart...

Peace and Pixie Dust for all...

Last edited:
Do you think it's weakening in it's actual severity for an individual who catches it, or do you mean weakening in terms of how quickly it's spreading?

Just wanted to hear your thoughts since I live in Illinois too. We are watching and waiting to see if DS is going to be able to start college next year on campus or if they will declare it online only. Seems like most are leaning towards wanting to be in person. It's so hard to really assess personal risks since we were seeing people in our age group getting very very sick, and sadly even dying, at the beginning of this, and now it feels like there is a disconnect with the information
weakening in severity. I believe it's Pittsburgh that published an article stating they believe it's weakening. Haven't had to use a vent on anyone in their ICU for a while.

I'm not sure where your DS is supposed to go but I know of at least one college that has already stated they're doing normal college (in person) this fall. It's not a state college though.

I don't know your age group but in my area the ONLY people that have died were nursing home patients. We need to continue to be careful with them for sure.

NO !!! Absolutely not.... that's not at all what I was saying - Those are your words above .... How dare you!!!! try to twist mine.... and by no means would I ever ever, begin to talk, or tell someone else, about their faith, or belief's, or religion or make some type of assumptions on such a personal matters... you on the other hand... had no problem making a statement and an assumption on what I was saying...so that's completely on you.

For all those people who lost their life and the families effected by this, my heart and prayers are with you...

Faith over Fear.... Faith can and does mean different things to different people... Faith in oneself, Faith in Family, Faith in others, Faith in your God... Faith that we all can get through this... Faith that your God whoever that might be will see you through this... and that you are not letting Fear rule you, your not letting fear control you, that you are stronger than your own fear...

If you took the time to read the sentence before... I said that DH and I did not really have a choice to stay home.... so for us it was a matter of Faith over Fear...
Faith in ourselves to stay safe and follow the guideline, Faith that we could do what was necessary and protect ourselves and stay vigilant... and at the same time be able to keep our family safe... and keep our own fear's tapped down to be able to do those things... and trusting in our own faith, that God would show us the way, giving us the courage and strength to go out and take care of our family that needed it, and not only for DH to stay safe, for him to have the wisdom and strength, and shoulder the responsibility... to help and guide the men that work for him stay safe so that they could go home to their own families safely... offer assurance's and help to his customers, which in turn helps the public stay safe... Which I am proud that my DH gladly took the responsibility on, and never once wavered in his commitment... Our Faith...

And if you would have kept reading, I went on to explain why we could not stay at home... Not everyone was or is able to stay home...

This is really quite presumptuous of you.

Next time if you are unclear of what someone is saying, or the meaning .... its okay to ask to clarify it for you...

So with that... Bless your Heart...

Peace and Pixie Dust for all...
Hit a nerve, did I? You said it, not me.

weakening in severity. I believe it's Pittsburgh that published an article stating they believe it's weakening. Haven't had to use a vent on anyone in their ICU for a while.

I'm not sure where your DS is supposed to go but I know of at least one college that has already stated they're doing normal college (in person) this fall. It's not a state college though.

I don't know your age group but in my area the ONLY people that have died were nursing home patients. We need to continue to be careful with them for sure.

thank you, I so hope it is indeed weakening. We are still being cautious, but every day I try to stay hopeful that things will get better. My husband and I are both mid 40s. And our son will be starting college at a smaller liberal arts school. I know they are working towards having in-person classes, but it could change. Hope you stay healthy and safe too!

thank you, I so hope it is indeed weakening. We are still being cautious, but every day I try to stay hopeful that things will get better. My husband and I are both mid 40s. And our son will be starting college at a smaller liberal arts school. I know they are working towards having in-person classes, but it could change. Hope you stay healthy and safe too!
So you're about the same age as us. ;) I'm not sure what area of IL you're in but if you would like links to the sites I follow for numbers and hospitalization feel free to message me. I have all the links for suburban Cook and also the medical examiner which breaks down the deaths by city and age groups. :)

And our son will be starting college at a smaller liberal arts school. I know they are working towards having in-person classes, but it could change.

My DS's college (small as well, in Maine) has also said they plan to resume on campus, and are making the necessary plans.

Absolutely not relaxing anything. Positive cases have been doubling since reopening. Thanks to everyone of the people who won't wear a mask or stay home my family must stay home longer.

Hit a nerve, did I? You said it, not me.
:rolleyes1Yep - she said it. And then you took it, misconstrued it in the ugliest possible way and ran in completely the wrong direction. As for hitting a nerve, well, yes - most certainly, considering you made a nasty and baseless accusation and then laughed and posted a snarkee and inflammatory come-back to her response.

Absolutely not relaxing anything. Positive cases have been doubling since reopening. Thanks to everyone of the people who won't wear a mask or stay home my family must stay home longer.
The point of reopening (whatever way its being done the intent is the same)...is so you can go out :confused3 That includes employees who were considered non-essential whose place of employment shut down who get the opportunity (though not guarantee) of being employed again (that's great right :) ). Unemployment is still at around the same level of the Great Depression but dropped for the month of May as places were able to reopen.

And at the risk of coming off rude, which I really don't intend to, you say your family must stay home longer...that means you want to go out right? I would assume others in your area are just acting on that desire to go out whatever that may be and you don't feel comfortable do that (which is perfectly and completely understandable by the way :flower3:)

My DS's college (small as well, in Maine) has also said they plan to resume on campus, and are making the necessary plans.
My alma mater is one that has joined other colleges in being sued. Right now it's only 2 people so who knows if that will make much of a difference but I do wonder if that and time will have more education places reopening? Certainly with changes but not the same as being virtual with campuses mostly closed around the U.S.

And at the risk of coming off rude, which I really don't intend to, you say your family must stay home longer...that means you want to go out right? I would assume others in your area are just acting on that desire to go out whatever that may be and you don't feel comfortable do that (which is perfectly and completely understandable by the way :flower3:)
Not the poster you quoted but I understand where they are coming from. It is not necessarily the opening up she is blaming but people’s behaviors (not wearing masks, not social distancing, crowding stores, etc) that is causing the surge in cases. I am one who is also feeling like I can’t go out due to these behaviors. I tried to go out to the coast last weekend. But due to others not wearing masks I didn’t not feel comfortable and ended up leaving.

Not the poster you quoted but I understand where they are coming from. It is not necessarily the opening up she is blaming but people’s behaviors (not wearing masks, not social distancing, crowding stores, etc) that is causing the surge in cases. I am one who is also feeling like I can’t go out due to these behaviors. I tried to go out to the coast last weekend. But due to others not wearing masks I didn’t not feel comfortable and ended up leaving.
I completely understood what they were referring to and have no qualms about those emotions :flower3:

It's the "or stay home" aspect I was speaking towards. The point of reopening is giving people the ability to go outside the home, including the individuals who may be able to get their job back. Blaming people for getting out when they are allowed to is a common theme.

We’ve been pretty cautious since mid March while learning more about the virus and how it is affecting people. We think we had CV19 after returning from Fort Lauderdale in mid February, but tests weren’t widely available then, and antibody tests aren’t terribly reliable now, so we may never know. Our county has had five deaths, and residents aren’t as afraid of exposure as people in big cities. Guidelines for reopening NY seem overly restrictive in our rural area. We’re ready to be out and about more. I recently learned my aunt who is 103 and in a nursing home in Boston had the virus and has now recovered. I know everyone’s not that lucky, but it’s encouraging. We’re going to a mountain resort in Virginia for vacation in a couple weeks, and we plan to use normal precautions but have a good time.

A doctor in Italy made headlines with that same thinking. And it does make sense - we've created a situation where natural selection would strongly favor strains of the virus that produce no or mild symptoms, because those patients are likely to spread the illness while those with clear-cut COVID symptoms are getting tested, staying home, or seeking medical treatment and being isolated that way. So the stronger versions have less opportunity to spread, while the weaker viruses have more and those weak enough to produce high percentages of asymptomatic cases having the most. Over time, that would lead to the weaker versions being the ones circulating the most widely and therefore being responsible for a greater and greater share of the total cases.

Since we know there are already two distinct strains with differences in severity of illness and aggressiveness of spread, it isn't all that far fetched to suggest a sort of sorting is taking place now.

Where are you located? Please don't just look at the number of cases but the percentage of positive. Some places are seeing increase in positive cases but the percentage of positive is still going down or at least not increasing. Testing has really ramped up most places so it might look bad but isn't really.

A doctor in Italy made headlines with that same thinking. And it does make sense - we've created a situation where natural selection would strongly favor strains of the virus that produce no or mild symptoms, because those patients are likely to spread the illness while those with clear-cut COVID symptoms are getting tested, staying home, or seeking medical treatment and being isolated that way. So the stronger versions have less opportunity to spread, while the weaker viruses have more and those weak enough to produce high percentages of asymptomatic cases having the most. Over time, that would lead to the weaker versions being the ones circulating the most widely and therefore being responsible for a greater and greater share of the total cases.

Since we know there are already two distinct strains with differences in severity of illness and aggressiveness of spread, it isn't all that far fetched to suggest a sort of sorting is taking place now.
Also as viruses mutate they typically mutate weaker. This seems to be following that same pattern.

I think colleges are going to push hard for as much "normal" as they can manage in the fall. They cannot afford the loss of enrollment that would come of staying distance-only for any length of time, and they know that in many areas of study, that makes for an inferior educational experience.

I've watched with interest as the tone of what we're getting from DD's school has changed, from "abundance of caution" to "the best possible experience for fall". They started out talking about a hybrid plan - take-out-only dining halls, no student activities, no sports or athletic facilities, etc. - and are now saying they plan to reopen more or less fully but with some distancing and improved cleaning processes to lower the risks. I think at some point they realized many students weren't going to come back and pay $70K+ for a year of mostly online classes, no resume-building activities or leadership opportunities, and little to no hands-on learning or networking with fellow students and professors. Of course, the changing trajectory of the pandemic is a factor too, as is the fact that the state is moving forward with reopening things faster than most expected, but I believe the bottom line was, well, the bottom line. Without students, there are no colleges. And college is too expensive to pay full price for half the experience.

Very interesting and logical. Thanks!

Have we heard anything further about children and Covid-Linked-Syndrome? Have incidents of that taken off anywhere? I've not seen anything more about it for a week or so (maybe more - admittedly time has lost all meaning for me :o ).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!