• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

At AKV now - comparison to BWV/BCV/SS

ParrotBill

Yo ho, yo ho, a parrot's life for me
We are here at Kidani in a 1BR overlooking the Pembe Savanna. We watch lots of antelope, some Okapi, and two crazy cranes who LOVE their keeper and chase her around on her golf cart. The keeper talked to us for quite some time as we watched her do feedings from our 3rd floor balcony.

We ate at Boma yesterday but stayed in before and after as it was raining most of the afternoon and evening. Looking a bit rainy again tonight. Oh well.

We are long time DVC members but never stayed at AKV until now. I am amazed and delighted at the size of the room, the two bathrooms, extra chair-bed. I was expecting a compact layout similar to BWV, GCV and SS.

I just wish it were not so far away - my bus trip to MK took 45 min and so did the trip from DD back to here this afternoon.

So far we LOVE
-room size
-extra fold out single bed (the 2 teenage girls were delighted) and still enough room to get around (BWV/SS/BCV always cramped by fold out bed)
-views of savanna and quiet outside!
-atmosphere
-pool
-parking under building - convenient to get stuff in/out and keeps car cool
-plenty of outlets for chargers

Neutral
- long walk to room with no upside such as a shorter walk to bus or Studios like at Boardwalk

Dislike
- Distance between Jambo and Kidani and waiting for transportation that is often full so you wait 2 vans (too long to walk for some)
-need full counter service at Kidani at lunchtime
- Need food that is not all curried up at Kidani
- 45 min transportation to MK and DD

We also went to the Sunset Mingle. It's not just for DVC, anyone can sign up. They made a big deal about squeezing us when we arrived Wednesday at 2pm to sign up.. but they actually had 2 groups. Ours was the smaller with about 30 people signed up but 20 showed up. They had WAY too much food for us but the food and drink were delightful and Holland, our host, was great.

I'm surprised the trip to MK was 45 minutes - not surprised at 45 minutes to DD. We stay at KV regularly, and timed the trip back from MK in January. It was exactly 25 minutes from the time the bus pulled up to unloading at KV. Hopefully your bus trips will get shorter.

- Distance between Jambo and Kidani and waiting for transportation that is often full so you wait 2 vans (too long to walk for some)

If you are going from Kidani to Jambo, its often faster and easier to go to the bus loop and hop on any Disney Park bus. All Disney Park buses stop at Kidani first and then stop at Jambo before heading to the Parks.

I agree with the PP about getting on a bus. Also, I'm really surprised the vans are getting so popular (that more people don't just take the bus). When I first heard about the vans, shortly after Kidani was done, I was often the only one on the van (I guess not many people are "in the know" from the DIS).

I'm surprised the trip to MK was 45 minutes - not surprised at 45 minutes to DD. We stay at KV regularly, and timed the trip back from MK in January. It was exactly 25 minutes from the time the bus pulled up to unloading at KV. Hopefully your bus trips will get shorter.

Maybe you get those times in January...but I went in April and it was closer to an hour!

Maybe you get those times in January...but I went in April and it was closer to an hour!

We were there in May and it was approx a 20-25 minute ride to the MK. That is very consistent with the times we have always had when staying at AKL/AKV no matter what the time of the year. And faster than driving, parking, getting a tram and then riding the boat or monorail to the front of the park.

We are also at Kidani now and I have to say we love it but we tour differently from you. We always have a car so the location is great for us. Also we only stay here to do AK and will move to BLT to do MK, we stayed at SSR for HS and EPCOT. We also have a lot of food In the villa drinks,snacks, bacon, hot dogs, pasta etc. Nothing that needs cooking just heating up butitneans we don't miss the CS. We really like Sanaa but can take or leave Boma.

We were there in May and it was approx a 20-25 minute ride to the MK. That is very consistent with the times we have always had when staying at AKL/AKV no matter what the time of the year. And faster than driving, parking, getting a tram and then riding the boat or monorail to the front of the park.

Our experience too.

I should clarify - the ride was 25 min plus 20 min wait at 10am. Even if the wait were a more average 10 min it is longer than what we are used to. I would love this place enough to buy here if not for the extra travel time and distance to Jambo!

On another note, the bees at Kidani pool Are really bad. They kept landing on us which scared the kids. I say two kids get stung in one hour yesterday. We need to say something about all this. Pest control needs to swarm the Area to find and destroy the nests.

I should clarify - the ride was 25 min plus 20 min wait at 10am. Even if the wait were a more average 10 min it is longer than what we are used to. I would love this place enough to buy here if not for the extra travel time and distance to Jambo!

Ahh, I understand. I'm not sure you can count that as travel time though since the buses are scheduled to arrive every 20 minutes. What I find is frustrating is when three buses from another park shows up before the bus you are waiting for. At AKV I can understand the AK buses, but all the others I find it frustrating.

On another note, the bees at Kidani pool Are really bad. They kept landing on us which scared the kids. I say two kids get stung in one hour yesterday. We need to say something about all this. Pest control needs to swarm the Area to find and destroy the nests.

Your post is the fourth or fifth posts I've read that comment. Maybe you should report it to Member Satisfaction. dvcmembersatisfactionteam@disneyvacationclub.com I know bees are beneficial but still like you said a nest must be near by.

I really don't count the wait time - 20 minutes is supposed to be the time between buses everywhere and it all comes down to the timing when you walk out. I know the frustration and for us the biggest was OKW when a bus for AKV did not come for 40 minutes but that also fell way outside what the norm is supposed to be.

Your post is the fourth or fifth posts I've read that comment. Maybe you should report it to Member Satisfaction. dvcmembersatisfactionteam@disneyvacationclub.com I know bees are beneficial but still like you said a nest must be near by.

I know people are saying bees but I wonder if they actually are? What I've always seen have been some type of wasp and Disney ought to be taking care of those.

I was at Jambo pool a few weeks ago and there were alot of bees as well (honey bees, I believe). Luckily we weren't stung!

I loved kidani village. We had a great time.
We drove as well it was very nice having a car. Next year we are still driving down but wanna stay at monorail resort. Looks like fun
But I didn't mind the walk to jambo house, not far at all.

We have consistently waited over 20-45 minutes just to board a bus to MK or DTD..mostly after 5pm...but one time the AK bus driver made the loop three times between the park and Jambo, and he personally called into the bus manager when he saw us still there. Nice man... Of course three bus arrived together for MK...

I just got home tonight after spending a week at Kidani. I loved it!

I was nervous bc I've heard horror stories about the walking and the long bus rides.

For us:
The bus ride to MK was 15 minutes from the time it left Jambo. At BCV and SSR there were multiple pick ups before really getting underway, so I felt that this was an accurate time.

We were in a room in the 4th or 5th bead from the lobby on the Sunset Savanna. It was a 2 minute walk to the pool and a 3 minute walk to the lobby.

The walk to Jambo was only 6 or 7 minutes; I did a lot more walking than that at SSR!

We just stayed there a couple weeks ago for the first time and loved it too! However, we will probably stay at BWV or BCV next time just because we like the area. But the rooms at AKV are much nicer! We had 4 college aged girls with us in a two bedroom and it was perfect.

I'm glad you clarified the bus ride, because the ride is roughly the same whenever you go. Wait times vary every day and at every resort. We love VWL but have always had bad luck waiting for boats and buses. Our 4 trips to AKV have been some of our quickest rides to parks and shortest waits. Including Thanksgiving and Chrstmas weeks.

But I agree about the bees at KV. I'm surprised this continues to be an issue. Should we all complain??

I think the worst bus transportation from Kidani is to DTD. Isn't that the one that stops at BB too? Anyway, we always drive to DTD. Also, while we always take buses to the parks, often when we are staying at AKV we will drive to AK. The parking lot there is not much farther than the bus stop, so it makes sense not to wait for the bus to get to AK from AKV.

I just got home tonight after spending a week at Kidani. I loved it!

I was nervous bc I've heard horror stories about the walking and the long bus rides.

For us:
The bus ride to MK was 15 minutes from the time it left Jambo. At BCV and SSR there were multiple pick ups before really getting underway, so I felt that this was an accurate time.

We were in a room in the 4th or 5th bead from the lobby on the Sunset Savanna. It was a 2 minute walk to the pool and a 3 minute walk to the lobby.

The walk to Jambo was only 6 or 7 minutes; I did a lot more walking than that at SSR!

I agree with your walking times. I frankly don't think it's as bad as it seems actually. Because the halls are kind of curving around, it feels like you are going farther than you are. Oh, and if you are on the last bead closest to Jambo, it will only take about 5 minutes to walk there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter