ATT/Time Warner Deal paves way for Disney-Comcast battle

I’m worried that Disney might lose. I’d rather Comcast not have Fox.

That said is Fox goes to Comcast, Fox will have to pay Disney for cancelling the deal.

It is going to be interesting. I hate comcast so I don't want them to get it... and I want X-men and FF back in the hands of Disney. After we finish with Thanos in Avengers 4, a Doctor Doom or Galactus being setup as the next "big bad" would be perfect.

I’m worried that Disney might lose. I’d rather Comcast not have Fox.

That said is Fox goes to Comcast, Fox will have to pay Disney for cancelling the deal.

Big thing, I think, is this is setting up a bidding war which isn't good for anyone really (well, I guess except Murdoch and FOX shareholders), as if Disney has to up their big that hurts their stock but also bad to lose out as "no one likes a loser"

Big thing, I think, is this is setting up a bidding war which isn't good for anyone really (well, I guess except Murdoch and FOX shareholders), as if Disney has to up their big that hurts their stock but also bad to lose out as "no one likes a loser"
Yeah...

I would think Fox would prefer a non-cash deal to avoid more taxes.

That's what I've been saying all along. Lots of people seem to cheer on Comcast/Universal whenever they "stick it" to Disney. Long-term Disney if Disney loses this and they aren't able to be successful with streaming they will be vulnerable to a buyout. And everything could be broken up and sold off.

That's what I've been saying all along. Lots of people seem to cheer on Comcast/Universal whenever they "stick it" to Disney. Long-term Disney if Disney loses this and they aren't able to be successful with streaming they will be vulnerable to a buyout. And everything could be broken up and sold off.

I know. I'm not sure why some think Disney would be "too big" with Fox, but Comcast wouldn't. Comcast is huge as well, plus they own telecom infrastructure. I still prefer Fox remain Fox, but if anyone is going to get it, Disney is best for the fans.

Eeeeeeeeeek. Why am I more ok with this than Disney/fox or even worse Comcast/fox but that’s not the point. Eeeek. And less than for what aol did in 2001

I really don't want a bidding war here. I'm fine with Fox going to Comcast rather than having Disney chase it. And I say that as a shareholder and Disney lover. I get the point of owning the catalogues and have been saying for a while content is going to get real expensive, but I still think Disney is better off not overpaying for Fox assets. I just don't think there is as much in that catalogue that pairs with Disney as others think. Disney bought Marvel and Star Wars together less than 25% of what they are going to have to pay for Fox. While those two properties were about future revenue derived from IP, Fox is about milking past IPs and Sky and the Indian Star networks.

I just don't see Sky and Star being growth drivers for Disney. India doesn't strike me as the next China for Parks or the next Brazil for tourists. And regardless of what Disney does, Sky is an expensive proposition to own. Bidding up Premier League rights is an awful lot like watching ESPN's NBA contract.

I think this has reached a no win for Disney to keep bidding, but I don't think that will stop Iger from overpaying for his capstone merger. I'd rather Disney take the breakup fee and invest in themselves than go up over $60 or $65 billion for Fox.

Disney has to get this deal. I really don't want Comcast in charge of SKY and owning a bunch of Marvel IP

Just to clarify, they wouldn't actually own any Marvel IP, just the rights to theatrical films based on them. Disney really needs to get those rights back though.

Just to clarify, they wouldn't actually own any Marvel IP, just the rights to theatrical films based on them. Disney really needs to get those rights back though.
Not for $60 billion. Those rights are ancillary. The big parts of this deal are Sky and Star and the sheer mass of content already created to use in a streaming service. The rights to Marvel IP theatrical releases is small potatoes. How small? Disney paid 4.25B for all of the rest of Marvel. Theatrical release rights to the few characters Fox owns? A few hundred million, tops, in this deal. A miniscule percentage.

Disney stock is up 2.7% so far this morning. I guessing due to today's announcement around ATT/TW.

I'm not surprised to see CNBC reporting it that way lol

I'd love to see the Assests split but don't see that happening

It's not just CNBC. Most deals are cash flow negative for companies in the short to medium term. Especially as premiums are paid. So acquirer stock usually takes a hit, whereas the acquired tends to get a premium to the announced price. Investors don't tend to like most acquisitions because it's an expensive way to grow. Some of the tech companies, especially ones that make little or no money, are the exceptions to this rule. But yeah, Disney is likely to rally a bit more if the deal continues to look less likely. The moment they announce an improved bid, the stock is likely to sell off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!