Attractions with steps/stairs?

Schmeck

<font color=blue>Funny thing is now my 17 year old
I'm hoping to take my two girls and my mom to WDW this August. My mom has been having problems with her knees - lots of x-rays/MRI/CatScans, bloodwork, injections, medications, but nothing has helped. She's had so many tests, and they can't find out what's wrong! The worst part of it is, it all started many years ago at Blizzard Beach, when she flipped over backwards getting into a tube on the lazy river, and hit her knees on the bottom of the pool.

She can actually walk and walk for miles (I can't even keep up with her sometimes) but she can't go up stairs (or down) and sitting for prolonged periods of time is painful as well. She would actually be worse off if she used a wheelchair or ECV! I know it sounds wierd, but she actually does better if she keeps moving.

I'm starting to plan our days there, but I need to know which rides have stairs. I think Splash Mountain does, right? I'm planning on staggering the attractions with stairs so we don't do her in on the first day. We're also going to be careful on the attractions with the low riding boats, like PoC and the like.

I checked the FAQ section, but I couldn't find info on this subject - I know I saw it somewhere though. Anyone have a link?

Thank you,

Schmeck

I think this is probably where you read it.
When I get time, this is going to be part of the additional FAQs part.

Since she has no problem walking and would get stiffer if using an ecv or wheelchair, she could go to Guest Services in the parks and ask about getting a Guest Assistance Card (GAC) that would allow her to avoid stairs. There are only a few places where she would need to use it, since most rides/attractions don't have stairs.
You are correct about Splash Mountain. At one point the ride queue goes into a building; there are stairs just before you enter the building.

One thing that may not be on the thread I linked to is the theaters that have stairs. All the outdoor theaters have stairs to go to the rows of seating. To sit in the area without stairs, (like the floor level at Lion King at AK, or the back rows at Fantasmic and Indiana Jones), she would need a GAC. The indooor theaters have mostly ramped area to get to the rows.
One thing to be aware of is at the Amerrican Adventure, when they open up the area to go to the theater, you need to go up to the second floor. You will notice a stairway straight ahead of you, but there are escalators on each side also. If she has a problem with escalators, there is a small elevator to your right when you first enter the building. It's well hidden and needs to be operated by a CM. Ask about it when you enter the building, since they need to send people up in it well before they start letting the large group enter the stairway area.
Also at the Land at Epcot, you enter on one level and need to go down to the bottom level to go on Soaring and the Land ride. There are stairways and escalators. There is a small elevator to the left of the building (facing into the building from the entrance) after you go down the ramp to your left.

Sue, thanks, that's just what I needed!

Mom knows about the GAC, doesn't want one. She's so stubborn that she'd just refuse to go where she was supposed to...

It's good to know about the escalators - she's fine with them. And if we plan it properly, she could most likely handle 2-3 steps at the outdoor theaters. She couldn't go all the way down to the bottom for Fantasmic, but she could go down 2-3 rows.

This is great, now I can plan for our trip. I also have to remember to make sure we have her special knee pillow for bed, and gel packs to put in the fridge at the hotel. We're planning to take the week very slowly. This trip is her retirement present from me, so it's all at her pace! I'm actually looking forward to taking it more slowly than we usually do!

Thanks again!

Schmeck

I have problems with stairs also. I sort of "destroyed" my right knee after I broke my left femur and was zero weight bearing for 4 months, so had to use a walker and "hop" on my right leg. It has ruined my knee.

PLEASE get the GAC. I got one for the exact same reason. Went to guest services and explained my problem with stairs. I maybe used it four times total in a week, but without it, wouldn't have been able to go on certain rides.
Splash Mountain is one. Another is the railroad station next to Splash Mountain. There is a ramp, but it is exit only, and they will enforce that, unless you have the GAC.

I did have some trouble getting in and out of Pirates, but had the most trouble on the Jungle Cruise. That's a really big step into and out of that boat.

Have a fun trip!

Your mom's knee disability would be considered obvious if she used a wheelchair all the time and she could then go "up the down ramp" if necessary, without a GAC. If she did not use a wheelchair, her disability would "not be obvious" and she needs the GAC to do things differently from a non-disabled person.

I think a GAC can include instructions for CM's to help your mom into and out of ride vehicles, subject to availability of help. Otherwise the CM's have to minimize touching your mom (or anybody else).

Using a wheelchair just some of the time is actually problematical, because other guests will give hostile stares "thinking" your mom is getting preferential treatment. (GAC's are not supposed to reduce waiting time.)

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

If this was one of our usual trips, I'd have her get a GAC, as we tend to do a lot attractions. But since this is her special trip, I'm planning on letting her call the shots, so to speak. But maybe I'll print out this thread, with the other one Sue found for me about the stairs, and let my mom make a more educated decision. She's such a stubborn woman though!

seashoreCM said:
I think a GAC can include instructions for CM's to help your mom into and out of ride vehicles, subject to availability of help. Otherwise the CM's have to minimize touching your mom (or anybody else).

Using a wheelchair just some of the time is actually problematical, because other guests will give hostile stares "thinking" your mom is getting preferential treatment. (GAC's are not supposed to reduce waiting time.)

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm
The CMs are not allowed to help someone physically get in and out of ride vehicles.
Here's what the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities says:
Most attractions, restaurants, shops and shows are accessible to all our Guests. In some cases, however, Guests may need the assistance of a member of their party to fully utilize these areas. Also, at some attractions Guests using wheelchairs may need to transfer from their wheelchairs onto a ride system. Hosts and hostesses are not permitted to physically transfer Guests from wheelchairs. We therefore recommend that Guests plan to visit with someone who can physically assist them, when necessary.
On some attractions, the CM will push a manual wheelchair into the ride car (since they know which way, etc it needs to go in and can do that more quickly and safely than explaning it). They are also able to move a wheelchair out of the way after the guest gets out and move it closer when the guest is getting out.
The GACs are very general and have no specific instructions about how to help a guest with boarding or unloading. It might have things like allowing someone to sit near the front for someone with a visual disability or where they could see a sign language interpreter for someone who needs that.
If someone needs specific help, such as slowing or stopping a moving walkway to board, they have to tell the CM at the time.
Here's a
link to a past thread about boarding rides that might be helpful.
It's good for people who are able to walk to get out of wheelchairs/ecvs and walk around periodically. The "nurse" in me would suggest that as a good way to avoid potential problems like stiff muscles and blood clots. Some people do choose to ride the wheelchair/ecv between attractions or park it and then walk to attractions/shops that are in that general area. Some might use it in certain lines because they are long distance or time.
There are people who may judge, but you know what you need and they don't and anyone who judges based on a few minutes of observation is rude and often wrong.

Hopefully, I'll be able to haul her up and out of the boat rides. Oops - I don't think I'll include this part in the printout I give her, LOL! Luckily, she really is able to get around on her own, except for steps. She even has a hard time going up the 12 stairs at my house. It's the darndest thing, since no one can figure out what's wrong with her knees!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter