August 18th trip planned...getting nervous

Status
Not open for further replies.

tes300

Earning My Ears
Wondering what people's thoughts are on how long all this will last. Taking our first trip in 3 1/2 years arriving August 18th. Been looking forward to this since, well our last trip and would really hate to cancel! Would have to reschedule for February 2021 if we do cancel :(

What are you nervous about specifically? The parks/resorts not being re-opened by then? Safety of travel?

We have a July trip planned, and I am cautiously optimistic we'll be returning to normalcy by then. Businesses not open/operating by August will cripple our economy probably beyond what we saw in the Great Depression.

As of right now I would plan on August, and as it gets closer you'll have a better idea of what we're dealing with.

Honestly about parks still being closed/airline travel being restricted. I know it is still 5 months away but it is seeming more and more like this could be with us for a long time. Also want to get a sense of how other people are feeling about their summer plans.

I’m right there with you, we have early Aug trip planned. I’m worried too.
worried this virus will not be under control by then and travel will still be restricted, above all I want to be safe.
I hope when the parks do open we’ll be seeing hand sanitizer stands at the exit of each ride.

I have an August 16th trip planned, and I feel pretty confident we will be able to go, and everything will be open.

We have a May trip scheduled that we know at this point is not happening, since we are DVC people we'll wait a little bit longer to officially cancel. We were planning to re-schedule to very late August. If the procedures being put in place to slow the virus work, WDW should hopefully be open sometime in June. If they don't work, as others have said, a trip to WDW will not be a priority.

Still planning our trip for August 18-29. We will make a final decision on July. We are saving money to pay for trip, but only put the $200 deposit down. We are hopeful!!

I am hopeful as well. But I think it's worth remembering that Disney World is at the very high end of the scale in terms of the potential to spread the virus. Thousands upon thousands of people, coming together from all over the world, and gathering in close proximity --- packed together in lines and crowds, sitting together at rides and shows, all touching the same surfaces on rides and restaurants, etc. It may well be the case that most businesses reopen around the country by the summer, but theme parks, professional sporting events, arena rock concerts, and the like need to remain off limits until a vaccine is widely distributed. (Or, even if these things reopen, it may not be the wisest choice to attend.) Alternatively, as is being discussed on the Rumors board, Disney might reopen with revised operating procedures that we would all need to take into account in deciding whether or not a trip is worth it at this time.

If I had an August trip planned, I guess I would view it as a 50/50 proposition at this point. (As it happens, I have a June trip planned. I am, sadly, quite pessimistic about that. But I haven't cancelled yet, because there is still hope!)

We had a trip to Italy booked for this summer for our 25th Anniversary, then canceled because of the Virus, then had to cancel our April Disney trip. So we rebooked Disney to summer & now we're in limbo about that too. I'm about 10% confident we'll get to go but, compared to everything that's going on around the world right now a vacation is really small potatoes. Here's hoping for all of us! Stay healthy!

I am hopeful as well. But I think it's worth remembering that Disney World is at the very high end of the scale in terms of the potential to spread the virus. Thousands upon thousands of people, coming together from all over the world, and gathering in close proximity --- packed together in lines and crowds, sitting together at rides and shows, all touching the same surfaces on rides and restaurants, etc. It may well be the case that most businesses reopen around the country by the summer, but theme parks, professional sporting events, arena rock concerts, and the like need to remain off limits until a vaccine is widely distributed. (Or, even if these things reopen, it may not be the wisest choice to attend.) Alternatively, as is being discussed on the Rumors board, Disney might reopen with revised operating procedures that we would all need to take into account in deciding whether or not a trip is worth it at this time.

If I had an August trip planned, I guess I would view it as a 50/50 proposition at this point. (As it happens, I have a June trip planned. I am, sadly, quite pessimistic about that. But I haven't cancelled yet, because there is still hope!)
When Disney opens I think we’ll see some changes, like more santitzing stations, possibly changes like no shows for awhile, seat distancing in theatres..who knows.

If I had an August trip planned, I guess I would view it as a 50/50 proposition at this point.
I’m right there with you, we have early Aug trip planned. I’m worried too.
worried this virus will not be under control by then and travel will still be restricted

If Disney, airlines, hotels, cruise ships, restaurants, etc. are still closed for business on July 1 then we are looking at a problem far bigger than vacations. We are looking at a complete meltdown of the U.S. and even the World economy on a scale never imagined before. The Treasury Dept. will not be able to print new stimulus money quick enough to bail us out.

As I said, I suspect that Disney might be among the last places to reopen, because of its unique potential to spread the virus quickly and widely. There are many steps between complete economic lockdown—which I fully agree is utterly unsustainable through the summer—and entirely back to business as usual. That said, I would say that there is a better than 50/50 chance that Disney World will be open in some form by August. Whether that limited form would be good enough to make a trip seem worth it to me, and whether doctors will still be strongly recommending against unnecessary travel to particularly high-risk places at that time, remain to be seen. All told, I would view it as a coin flip right now—recognizing that there are many unknowns at this point.

We have a mid-August trip as well. I am concerned but trying not to think about it too much as there's nothing I can do but watch and wait. We'll hold onto our reservations for now and re-assess the situation in June or July. Our trip is already paid for, so the worst case is that we re-book for next years 50th.

We have a trip booked for the beginning of August and right now I’m cautiously optimistic. A lot can happen in five months - good or bad - and with the way things are changing hourly now, it’s hard to know what August will bring. Like others have mentioned, if Disney is still closed in August, we will have greater problems to worry about besides a canceled trip to Disney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!