August 18th trip planned...getting nervous

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cancelled my trip for Feb, 2021 yesterday. Devastating. :worried:
Yikes! That’s so far into the future. We have an August trip booked and Nov/Dec trip. Haven’t canceled either yet. Since there’s no penalty for canceling room or flights I’m doing the wait & see. It doesn’t look good so preparing my daughter about the possibility of canceling, ugh. It is devastating.

We canceled April 23rd trip and I quickly rebooked for mid-October...glad I did now. We needed a three-bedroom villa and there are a limited number of those. Stay safe all!

I am optimistic ....

I suspect that restrictions will lighten by mid-April by locality. Dense areas should last longer. If you live in an area with an outbreak, I hope you won't travel, and I also hope you won't travel to an area with an outbreak.

I believe by mid-May, it will begin to become more normalized, but likely still some reduced capacity of operation, i.e. movie theaters won't sit more than 50-75%. Companies will be encouraged to hold off on air travel for many months, I believe. I travel extensively for work, and I'd be surprised if I fly again before September.

It will take a month to get back into gear. I'd wager Disney won't be open to guests until after Memorial Day. I hope I'm wrong, of course, and it's earlier!

We are booked for July and October, currently. I'm holding out hope!

It doesn’t look good so preparing my daughter about the possibility of canceling, ugh. It is devastating.
We have a trip planned for late June/early July for my DD’s birthday. It’s the first time we had the availability in our schedule to plan a Disney trip for her birthday. Right now I’m feeling like the possibility of it still happening is doubtful. I haven’t told my daughter yet. I know she’ll be devastated. Even if we do go, I‘m not feeling especially confident about spending time in the parks. It might have to be a resort only stay. And if we’re unable to go due to resorts still being closed, I‘m afraid of the bigger worries we will all have. All of the uncertainty is so difficult.

We have a trip planned for late June/early July for my DD’s birthday. It’s the first time we had the availability in our schedule to plan a Disney trip for her birthday. Right now I’m feeling like the possibility of it still happening is doubtful. I haven’t told my daughter yet. I know she’ll be devastated. Even if we do go, I‘m not feeling especially confident about spending time in the parks. It might have to be a resort only stay. And if we’re unable to go due to resorts still being closed, I‘m afraid of the bigger worries we will all have. All of the uncertainty is so difficult.
So difficult and frankly depressing. I know as other people have said that if it is still closed we have bigger things to worry about, but I’ve been clinging to the hope of our trip being a bright spot, something to look forward to after all this is over but I don’t think it’s happening. Makes me not even interested in listening to my Disney podcasts or check the countdown. ☹️

I wonder if when wdw opens, if they will limit the amount of guests allowed into the parks and resorts. Help with social distancing and all.

I wonder if when wdw opens, if they will limit the amount of guests allowed into the parks and resorts. Help with social distancing and all.
I’ve thought about them condensing the resorts and limiting the tickets and resorts booked to those who are already booked. In other words, no new ticket sales or bookings for certain time periods, etc.

I definitely believe they will have different crowd level rules. Beyond the parks, think about that monorail line and how packed it gets.
I think we finally get the price increase / crowd limit many wanted in the first place. I think you'll see more emphasis on hygiene, more signs about hand washing, more hand sanitizer stations, maybe even handing out hand wipes at restaurants like on DCL?

I have a June trip booked. I am thinking about canceling that and either booking early August or mid-November. My reason is my husband is on dialysis, and is going to switch to at-home dialysis, but may not be able to get a port put in in time to have that set and our training done by June (still trying to figure out if that is "elective" surgery even though it would get him out of the dialysis center). November would be a sure thing for that but I would use up all my personal days (teacher) and also lose the discount I have in June.
The rational part in my brain that is growing says save my money for our whole-family June 2021 trip and maybe just rent a cabin at a lake over labor day, and not worry about going this year at all.

August? Zero chance WDW isnt open before then. You know why we get Flu shots in the fall? Because viruses like the winter and the confinement and cold weather and hate the sun the summer, warmth the outdoors and humidity,,, all things that Orlando is famous for....

Oh and a 1-2% mortality rate isnt worth the complete economic destruction of the United States. We'll be working and rebuilding well before August.

I definitely believe they will have different crowd level rules. Beyond the parks, think about that monorail line and how packed it gets.
I think we finally get the price increase / crowd limit many wanted in the first place. I think you'll see more emphasis on hygiene, more signs about hand washing, more hand sanitizer stations, maybe even handing out hand wipes at restaurants like on DCL?
I don’t know anyone who wants to pay more for an already overpriced WDW vacay. Unless it’s people with very deep pockets.
I do agree we’ll see more sanitizer stations around the parks.

My family and I also booked a vacation for late August. We are remaining optimistic. If we need to, we'll rebook our trip for February so we don't lose what we paid in airfare. We'll make that decision when final payments are due.

I am optimistic ....

I suspect that restrictions will lighten by mid-April by locality. Dense areas should last longer. If you live in an area with an outbreak, I hope you won't travel, and I also hope you won't travel to an area with an outbreak.

I believe by mid-May, it will begin to become more normalized, but likely still some reduced capacity of operation, i.e. movie theaters won't sit more than 50-75%. Companies will be encouraged to hold off on air travel for many months, I believe. I travel extensively for work, and I'd be surprised if I fly again before September.

It will take a month to get back into gear. I'd wager Disney won't be open to guests until after Memorial Day. I hope I'm wrong, of course, and it's earlier!

We are booked for July and October, currently. I'm holding out hope!

I'm not sure I agree about your timeline. Mid-April would be early, as it's already late-March. The virus is just starting to hit in some places. With a two-week incubation period and very limited tests, there is so much more virus out there than we know about. People are still walking around like it's nothing, spreading it. And that's especially true in less populated areas where people feel safe. The more populated areas where it's hitting are still seeing a doubling of cases every few days. I don't think there are any areas of the US that have hit their peak and are starting to dwindle. I read an article that NYC might be "slowing down" a bit, but that means new cases doubling every 4 days instead of every 2 days, which is still scary exponential growth.

I hope Disney won't be opening before Memorial Day. And I say this as someone with a trip booked for mid-May with amazing FP, ADRs, great hotel rates, perfectly timed flights, etc. If Disney opens too soon, people will flock to it (because as we've seen, people suck at voluntary social distancing), and we'll see a new wave of infections, that will spread out to other places as people go back to their communities. The best way to combat COVID19 is to stay home. Too many people are not taking this seriously, and are looking to get back to "normal" ASAP, which is a terrible way to look at it. Better to stay closed a little too long than open a little too soon.

I'm not sure I agree about your timeline. Mid-April would be early, as it's already late-March. The virus is just starting to hit in some places. With a two-week incubation period and very limited tests, there is so much more virus out there than we know about. People are still walking around like it's nothing, spreading it. And that's especially true in less populated areas where people feel safe. The more populated areas where it's hitting are still seeing a doubling of cases every few days. I don't think there are any areas of the US that have hit their peak and are starting to dwindle. I read an article that NYC might be "slowing down" a bit, but that means new cases doubling every 4 days instead of every 2 days, which is still scary exponential growth.

I hope Disney won't be opening before Memorial Day. And I say this as someone with a trip booked for mid-May with amazing FP, ADRs, great hotel rates, perfectly timed flights, etc. If Disney opens too soon, people will flock to it (because as we've seen, people suck at voluntary social distancing), and we'll see a new wave of infections, that will spread out to other places as people go back to their communities. The best way to combat COVID19 is to stay home. Too many people are not taking this seriously, and are looking to get back to "normal" ASAP, which is a terrible way to look at it. Better to stay closed a little too long than open a little too soon.

That's why it's prefaced with "Optimistic."

Honestly about parks still being closed/airline travel being restricted. I know it is still 5 months away but it is seeming more and more like this could be with us for a long time. Also want to get a sense of how other people are feeling about their summer plans.
🧞‍♂️Here’s my .02 worth .....
1)POTC will partially reopen our nations economy in about 18 more days -

2)A vaccine for the Carona virus is still a year away ...

3)Vacations / air travel / amusement park etc will reopen May / June area 2020 ....
👀Corona virus will still be among us for another 12 months while everything is open for business -

🍿Q- So....do you therefore feel comfortable going on a vacation during these next 12 months?
To answer that question,
I feel our nation is or will be moving to a concept of “personal choice “ when it comes to ones answer to that rhetorical question .
and to that, I respectfull to ones answer as It’s all about the personal choice of the freedom to chose.

T.T.F.N.

They are working on a test for antibodies to see if people have already been exposed and are immune. If that happens soon it could be a game changer for people to get out and about. I wonder how many people already had mild cases and no longer carry it - maybe things could open up for them to get the ball rolling?

We have a "resorts only" trip booked for late July. What are the chances there could a situation where the parks are closed but the resorts are open? I'm pessimistic about that, but just asking anyway.

August? Zero chance WDW isnt open before then. You know why we get Flu shots in the fall? Because viruses like the winter and the confinement and cold weather and hate the sun the summer, warmth the outdoors and humidity,,, all things that Orlando is famous for....

Oh and a 1-2% mortality rate isnt worth the complete economic destruction of the United States. We'll be working and rebuilding well before August.

Your second to last sentence is an absolutely horrible thing to say. Think of 50 people you know. Who would you sacrifice?

Despicable.

Your second to last sentence is an absolutely horrible thing to say. Think of 50 people you know. Who would you sacrifice?

Despicable.

People die constantly. Car accidents, heart disease, cancer,, you name it. I’m not out there taking keys from people, banning red meat or knocking cigarettes out of their mouths. We make choices and we get to enjoy the consequences of those choices in this free country. This virus isn’t that bad if you aren’t old or have a pre-existing condition and this summer it’s going to be even less impactful. If you are in one of those high risk categories then by all means stay at home and away from large gatherings but the rest of this country will continue to go on like we have for everything else in history despite it being mildly more dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts