August 18th trip planned...getting nervous

Status
Not open for further replies.
People die constantly. Car accidents, heart disease, cancer,, you name it. I’m not out there taking keys from people, banning red meat or knocking cigarettes out of their mouths. We make choices and we get to enjoy the consequences of those choices in this free country. This virus isn’t that bad if you aren’t old or have a pre-existing condition and this summer it’s going to be even less impactful. If you are in one of those high risk categories then by all means stay at home and away from large gatherings but the rest of this country will continue to go on like we have for everything else in history despite it being mildly more dangerous.

"Young people with no clear underlying health conditions are getting seriously ill from COVID-19 in significant numbers. And young Americans—no matter how healthy and invincible they feel—need to understand that," writes Kerry Kennedy Meltzer, an internal medicine resident physician in New York City.“ quoted from The Atlantic
If you believe young people are safe from this virus you’ll probably see an ostrich if you look in the mirror!

It comes down to this. People in the US need to stay home, stop socializing in person, do not go out unless you absolutely have to. Take advantage of PeaPod, Instacart, Prime Now and order your groceries that way. Think about those closest to you, take their lives into account in that everyone has someone close to them or even themselves who is in the high risk category.
Stop being selfish, utilize Skype, FaceTime and other video chats to’see’ your friends and family.
Disney is not going anywhere, don’t push things and make things worse.
Everyone please be safe and stay healthy, wash your hands and check in with those you love.

We have a mid-May trip planned and I’m sure we’ll end up canceling. Maybe August or September.. idk

I really don’t think WDW will open back up until June and I‘m watching what they do to gauge the effect all this will have on the economy (that really does somehow make sense).

Ive been carrying hand sanitizer around in my purse/park bag forEVER and I really can’t believe not everyone does. No one should ever put anything in their mouth w/o first washing their hands.
🙏 I’ve been carrying perioxide wipes to wipe off tables and other surfaces since my son caught cryptosporidium (look it up,
It’s beyond scary and gross) a few years ago.

Like many others have said, if all this goes on for a few months, we will
be experiencing the stories told by our parents/grandparents, but worse. We have not seen the hardship that could easily become our norm.

Wash your hands, don’t touch your face and

PLEASE STAY THE HECK HOME!❤

Last edited:
We make choices and we get to enjoy the consequences of those choices in this free country.
Unfortunately the irresponsible and greedy choices people like you are making are spreading this illness and potentially killing untold numbers of people. So get over your "this is America" attitude for the next few weeks and we will get through this. But we all have to work together and make sacrifices for now.

People die constantly. Car accidents, heart disease, cancer,, you name it. I’m not out there taking keys from people, banning red meat or knocking cigarettes out of their mouths. We make choices and we get to enjoy the consequences of those choices in this free country. This virus isn’t that bad if you aren’t old or have a pre-existing condition and this summer it’s going to be even less impactful. If you are in one of those high risk categories then by all means stay at home and away from large gatherings but the rest of this country will continue to go on like we have for everything else in history despite it being mildly more dangerous.

Were you born this horrible or just raised that way? What a selfish, selfish belief system.

Your impression of the virus is also based on complete ignorance of reality. There are healthy 30 year old males dying from this disease. It is not only killing old people with preexisting health conditions.

I don't care if I get a temporary ban for saying any of this either. It needed to be said.

They are working on a test for antibodies to see if people have already been exposed and are immune. If that happens soon it could be a game changer for people to get out and about. I wonder how many people already had mild cases and no longer carry it - maybe things could open up for them to get the ball rolling?
I agree. The lack of testing for antibodies means we don’t know when herd immunity has kicked in. When we know better how many people have already had it, we can start moving toward businesses reopening. It’s all a balancing act.

This virus isn’t that bad if you aren’t old or have a pre-existing condition and this summer it’s going to be even less impactful.

I think this is misunderstood. The mortality rate for young is very very low, but that doesn't mean young people aren't getting very sick or needing hospitalization. They are just recovering even when they are hospitalized. So the more people that are exposed and infected, the more will require hospitalization. This is what put the strain on the resources to sustain life. This is the whole "flattening the curve" theory. It would be desirable to have the services, staff, beds, equipment for everyone who needs it.

It would be desirable to have the services, staff, beds, equipment for everyone who needs it.
And if we do not --- which, unfortunately, seems likely to start happening very soon --- the mortality rates will go way up. The relatively low mortality rates that are being projected, especially for younger patients, are premised on the availability of hospital beds, properly equipped doctors and other medical personnel, ICU beds, and ventilators. In the absence of those things, many people who would otherwise have recovered will end up dying. And then the death count could skyrocket. Recent reports are suggesting that up to 40% of hospitalizations are of people under 50--many much younger. Also, we have no reliable evidence yet that the virus will not spread as easily in warmer weather. That is true of some viruses, but not others. We have reason to be hopeful on that front, but hope alone is not a strategy for addressing a public health crisis.

Unfortunately the irresponsible and greedy choices people like you are making are spreading this illness and potentially killing untold numbers of people. So get over your "this is America" attitude for the next few weeks and we will get through this. But we all have to work together and make sacrifices for now.

Get off your high horse, I’m talking about June. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Recent reports are suggesting that up to 40% of hospitalizations are of people under 50--many much younger.

Just saw a CNBC article saying in NYC/NJ that almost 50% of hospitalizations are 45 and under. So sending "younger" people out to large gatherings of people is not going to spare our hospitals.

I'll add this (and I did so on the April trip thread), having been at WDW earlier in March, it was very stressful for me. It's is *not* the same WDW experience we all know/love. You are constantly trying to avoid touching things, stopping to fully wash hands, gelling in between, wiping down surfaces, finding a napkin to use a PIN pad or a soda dispenser, being very uncomfortable on a crowded bus, etc. I know it was more stressful on me than my spouse, so I think it's important that everyone in a travel group understands this and is comfortable with how it might "feel" being there.

Just saw a CNBC article saying in NYC/NJ that almost 50% of hospitalizations are 45 and under. So sending "younger" people out to large gatherings of people is not going to spare our hospitals.

I'll add this (and I did so on the April trip thread), having been at WDW earlier in March, it was very stressful for me. It's is *not* the same WDW experience we all know/love. You are constantly trying to avoid touching things, stopping to fully wash hands, gelling in between, wiping down surfaces, finding a napkin to use a PIN pad or a soda dispenser, being very uncomfortable on a crowded bus, etc. I know it was more stressful on me than my spouse, so I think it's important that everyone in a travel group understands this and is comfortable with how it might "feel" being there.

I was there March 4th for MMRR opening and I agree. I have been going to the World at least once a month for the last 5 years and this past trip by far was the most stressful I was looking for a bathroom to wash my hands every 20 minutes or so. And I had a big bottle of sanitizer with me.

We have (had) an end of april booking from uk. Here as of last weekend I think all elderly people or people who fall into a vulnerable category have been told to stay inside for 12 weeks. Vulnerable people ( eg my mum who has had a kidney transplant) have been told not only to leave the house but they have been told not to sit in their own gardens. They are allowed to open windows. Our 2 week akl trip with ddp included is def off. I give it a 25 - 35 % chance we will get to Disney by the end of the year. Realistically nothing is going to happen for 2 months imho

Get off your high horse, I’m talking about June. 🤦🏼‍♂️

June is only 2 months away.

China has been dealing with this since end of December/beginning of January. That was 3 months ago. Shanghai Disney's park is not open. What is open is very limited. And China implemented way more stringent measures of isolation a lot quicker. Complete lockdown of millions of people. The US approach has been much more fragmented and delayed in many areas.

When I started hearing about this coronavirus thing, I thought people were being dramatic. Things escalated quickly and now I'm regretting that thought process. The U.S. government doesn't shut the economy down over minor things. This is the first time this has happened in my lifetime (I'm 42) or my parents (65 and 72.) I understand wanting to look on the bright side, I started out that way, too. But the reality is, the government would not be putting these restrictions on us without good reason. They want our economy to run, it brings them in more tax money.

Es

China has been dealing with this since January and things still are pretty locked down. And we just surpassed them in fatalities, so...

The US surpassed China in cases, but not fatalities ...... yet.

Not arguing, just clarifying facts.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    208.2 KB · Views: 9
We just re-scheduled our 1st week of May trip to the last week of August - 1st week of September. That is five months from now and we are optimistic enough that the worst of this will be well over by then. Since we are DVC, we have banked points that we have to use or lose. if the situation is still ongoing by then, we'll cancel and eat the points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter