August 2020 Reservations-still going?

npatellye

Mouseketeer
Joined
Dec 30, 2019
As of now, we are still going in mid-August. We have a DVC studio at Poly. All of our ADRs were cancelled but that’s fine. If the 14 day quarantine orders for CT don’t expire by mid-July, then we won’t go. I don’t mind doing a resort only stay if we can’t get into the parks but the quarantine would also require us to just stay in the room all day, every day and that’s a hard pass for me.
 
Last edited:

petrola

Mouseketeer
Joined
Mar 7, 2012
We still haven't decided yet. Also from CT, so we will have to see about those 14 day quarantine orders before we can even consider going. Plus keeping a mask on DS6, is going to be a challenge. If quarantine orders are lifted but only DVC pools are open we will pass as we are staying at Beach Club (and Wilderness Lodge). As it is club level will probably be gone (if it hasn't been announced already) but if Stormalong is also closed, we are happy to wait until next year.
 
Last edited:

DanielNYC

The wand always chooses the wizard!
Joined
Jun 5, 2017
we will have to see about those 14 day quarantine orders before we can even consider going.
In the same boat here, although coming from NYC. Something tells me that executive order is going to get eliminated within the next couple of weeks.
 
  • Cattrip

    Mouseketeer
    Joined
    Jul 19, 2012
    We still haven't decided yet. Also from CT, so we will have to see about those 14 day quarantine orders before we can even consider going. Plus keeping a mask on DS6, is going to be a challenge. If quarantine orders are lifted but only DVC pools are open we will pass as we are staying at Beach Club. As it is club level will probably be gone (if it hasn't been announced already) but if Stormalong is also closed, we are happy to wait until next year.
    We're BCV too.. I won't be happy if we can't use the pools.....that is why we booked there
     

    Dallasmomoftwo

    Mouseketeer
    Joined
    Dec 14, 2019
    We are booked for the 2nd week of August, but there are three of us on the reservation and I've only purchased tickets for 2. If I can't purchase a 3rd ticket then we will have to cancel. Also, I'm concerned the experience won't be worth the price. Full price vacation for no fireworks, no park hopping, no shows, and probably limited rides and restaurants - and masks required in the August heat. It just doesn't sound like a very good idea.
     

    jiminyfan

    Daddy, Dreamer and WDWnut
    Joined
    Oct 2, 2000
    our trip is for our so so 21st birthday and it is all he wanted forever As his first legal drink is to be at La Cava. So, we are going and seeing how it will work out. And to top it off our resort ressies are at CSR and now the NBA is taking that over. So no di I got ressies, no FPs and soon no resort. Well at least it should be memorable!
     

    Darcy03231

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Nov 1, 2006
    our trip is for our so so 21st birthday and it is all he wanted forever As his first legal drink is to be at La Cava. So, we are going and seeing how it will work out. And to top it off our resort ressies are at CSR and now the NBA is taking that over. So no di I got ressies, no FPs and soon no resort. Well at least it should be memorable!
    Good attitude! Hope you have a wonderful time!

    We were supposed to go the first week of September but canceled since a lot of our trip revolved around character dining and interaction since we were traveling with a 6 y.o. and 1.5 year old. Since the kids didn't know they were going it was pretty easy for us to decide to wait to see what happens before rescheduling. Hopefully we'll go next year.
     
  • Alli76

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Jul 20, 2010
    We were planning on going first week in August. Decided to cancel for several reasons.... 1) From CT so not sure about the quarantine situation 2) Flight/arrival date was supposed to be 7/31 - Jet Blue moved to 8/1 because they have stopped flights out of airport we were using through 7/31 (at least) - well that meant one less day of vacation plus I could get full refund instead of just travel voucher. 3) Our trip was still going to cost us a bunch of $$$ - I just couldn't justify the cost with not knowing what the experience would be like.

    Tough decisions for everyone I am sure.
     

    Cattrip

    Mouseketeer
    Joined
    Jul 19, 2012
    We were planning on going first week in August. Decided to cancel for several reasons.... 1) From CT so not sure about the quarantine situation 2) Flight/arrival date was supposed to be 7/31 - Jet Blue moved to 8/1 because they have stopped flights out of airport we were using through 7/31 (at least) - well that meant one less day of vacation plus I could get full refund instead of just travel voucher. 3) Our trip was still going to cost us a bunch of $$$ - I just couldn't justify the cost with not knowing what the experience would be like.

    Tough decisions for everyone I am sure.
    I get it! I am using points that will expire if not used and I already bought tickets etc. It sounds like in your case it is the best especially with the flight situation-I would do the same as you.
     

    Cattrip

    Mouseketeer
    Joined
    Jul 19, 2012
    We are going, first week of August, Staying DVC, I have had tickets since Feb., no e-mail. In fact today was the first time I've seen anything different - my Sunday night 8:30p Raglan Road and my Thursday 7:25p CRT are cancelled, my Tuesday 1:15p Sci-Fi is still there. I knew it was too much to hope for, but it would have been really cool if they would have let us keep the CRT reservation. Eating in the park just after close? Yes please! We have to eat somewhere.
    I was just able to make Disney Springs dining reservations for my first week of Aug.
     

    Lumpy1106

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Jul 2, 2010
    I was just able to make Disney Springs dining reservations for my first week of Aug.
    Thank you for this. I admit, today was our 60-day-out FP day and I did check (though not at 4a PST). No luck (obviously). My only DS reservation is Raglan Road and they have not reopened. No idea what the plan is there.
     
  • Epcot242

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Jan 22, 2006
    We're booked for August, hotel and flights. All cancel-able so that's a help. Right now we're planning on keeping everything simply because we need a change of pace from working from home and basically doing nothing over the past few months. We're fully expecting the experience to be different and not as fun, but it's the new normal for now and we're prepared to accept that. We're also AP holders so we'd like to get our money's worth from the passes if we can, even if it's a limited experience.

    We're hoping the pools will be open as we're also expecting to spend more time at the resort than we usually do. I think we're going to see how it progresses over the coming months -- what the park reservation system is like (and how reservations work, one park per day? Time-limited reservations in a park per day?), limitations on restaurants (we love going to particular restaurants in WDW so it's a big part of the experience), and what park bloggers are reporting in terms of lines and crowds.

    Honestly, if they were to discount the price of the hotel a bit and all I listed above was still less than ideal I think we'd still go. Again, it's the new normal for now and with our passes due to expire in the fall we'll just go for it. We're lucky enough to have gone frequently over the past few years so if we can hit some rides and just walk around and take it all in that would be worth it.
     

    disneyworldsk

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Jul 10, 2014
    We have a bounceback (park hopper free deluxe dining) staying at Boulder Ridge @ WL, we are due to check in 8/28

    We have heard nothing from Disney, e-mail or otherwise.

    Flights are booked via JetBlue

    We are undecided about cancelling - spoke to some friends who live in Orlando & go to the parks all the time. They think it's going to have long lines and a lot of attractions closed. Their advice to me was that if the trip price was reduced to 50%, then think about going.

    DH wants no part of wearing a mask in the August heat.
    ok in EXACT same position. except i'm at yacht. jet blue booked, free ddp/park hopper adrs, late aug. I haven't heard except two days ago i got a confirmation email all excited i am coming . weird. i deleted that one. DH doesn't want to go anymore (masks in heat), not really a 'vacation' he had in mind, not excited about a plane now. i haven't cancelled yet but i guess i will in july.
     

    YawningDodo

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Sep 16, 2014
    It's probably a terrible idea, but I actually just priced out a 3 nighter in August to see if I could since I've got an AP (yey priority) and airfare is dirt cheap right now. With two semi-local weekend vacations cancelled on me this year, I've got the funds to cover an extra short trip to WDW...but with new room reservations closed there's no telling whether I'll actually be able to schedule anything before airfares rebound. Not going to book anything until I'm sure I'm actually able to book the whole shebang.
     

    Redfraggle19

    Earning My Ears
    Joined
    Feb 9, 2017
    i had a bounceback free dining booked at Boardwalk for August 14-22. After a LOT of agonizing we cancelled. I did book a November (much more expensive) backup but we will see. I'm from MA and it's still pretty scary up here IMO - and for us - limited experiences, interaction, no park hopping and masks in brutal August heat just aren't worth it. We will see what happens with November. If not I'll be booking for November 2021.
     

    Splat10

    Mouseketeer
    Joined
    Oct 19, 2016
    I see absolutely no reason to cancel right now. There's lots of reasons to cancel but i don't know why i wouldn't just wait because holding these reservations is like gold. What if they have lots of great stuff that hasn't been announced yet but because they are overbooked for the capacity they are planning? They need people to cancel so make it sound terrible and get the cancellations up to get to that number.

    There is zero penalty to holding your resort reservation and tickets to 7 days prior so just keep them until then if things change or the on the ground reports come back better than expected.
     

    maltdizzy

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Aug 10, 2013
    I would say we are 30% going/70% cancelling for mid-August. Most of that has been announced isn't enough to deter us, we can handle masks, shorter hours, and fewer attractions. We are easy-going and can adapt.

    The sticking points?
    1. The water parks are just as important to us as the theme parks
    2. They haven't addressed resorts yet. We are paying a premium for a Deluxe (nearly 50% more than I paid four years ago for the same room). At this point, I would have been more comfortable with the cost if we had booked a Moderate or cabin. If the trip was less expensive, or if we can modify to a less expensive resort, we would go enjoy and bounce back for a bigger trip in '21 or early '22.

    But, like the others, I plan to keep the reservation until full payment is due in 6 weeks. The $200 deposit is small enough that there is no rush to decide.
     
    Last edited:

    Cattrip

    Mouseketeer
    Joined
    Jul 19, 2012
    We're booked for August, hotel and flights. All cancel-able so that's a help. Right now we're planning on keeping everything simply because we need a change of pace from working from home and basically doing nothing over the past few months. We're fully expecting the experience to be different and not as fun, but it's the new normal for now and we're prepared to accept that. We're also AP holders so we'd like to get our money's worth from the passes if we can, even if it's a limited experience.

    We're hoping the pools will be open as we're also expecting to spend more time at the resort than we usually do. I think we're going to see how it progresses over the coming months -- what the park reservation system is like (and how reservations work, one park per day? Time-limited reservations in a park per day?), limitations on restaurants (we love going to particular restaurants in WDW so it's a big part of the experience), and what park bloggers are reporting in terms of lines and crowds.

    Honestly, if they were to discount the price of the hotel a bit and all I listed above was still less than ideal I think we'd still go. Again, it's the new normal for now and with our passes due to expire in the fall we'll just go for it. We're lucky enough to have gone frequently over the past few years so if we can hit some rides and just walk around and take it all in that would be worth it.
    I feel the same- my expectations are low, but I would rather be in a restricted environment in a hot and sweaty mask at Disney then look at my desk and four walls at home. I love my family, but if we have to take one more bike ride together because that seems to be one of the only things we are allowed to do out of this house....haha
     

    joyjoy

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Jun 4, 2003
    8 day DVC Poly trip plan: A: Late April B: May 10 C: May 23 D: August 18, but at BWV E: Poly, 8/18 **** Plan E??**** (sigh) And by all these different plans, I mean I've changed the reservation AND flights. Ugghhh. The only good thing is we renewed APs in Feb and they haven't been activated but are still considered valid tickets, so no stress there. We HAD another DVC stay in November at CC, but now that one is too close to our Aug trip so I cancelled. We'll just use those points in 2021. So yeah. We're still going, if they'll have us. I just hope the pool is open.
     

    Cattrip

    Mouseketeer
    Joined
    Jul 19, 2012
    8 day DVC Poly trip plan: A: Late April B: May 10 C: May 23 D: August 18, but at BWV E: Poly, 8/18 **** Plan E??**** (sigh) And by all these different plans, I mean I've changed the reservation AND flights. Ugghhh. The only good thing is we renewed APs in Feb and they haven't been activated but are still considered valid tickets, so no stress there. We HAD another DVC stay in November at CC, but now that one is too close to our Aug trip so I cancelled. We'll just use those points in 2021. So yeah. We're still going, if they'll have us. I just hope the pool is open.
    My plans were: March 20, June 11-17, June 14-20 and I have landed in early Aug....and I am staying put God willing
     





    Connect

    Disney News and Updates





    SUBSCRIBE TO OUR DAILY EMAIL
    Subscribe and never miss out on Disney News, Deals and Updates.









    Top