August 2020 Reservations-still going?

right. so if none of us know when schools begins how can we know for sure about our aug. disney trips?!
Ours usually start back in September but there is talk we will start last week of August, which is when we would be there. That mixed with a probable 2 week quarantine when we return would be 3 weeks missed of school (after being out since March). So for us, this is exactly it for us. We won’t go if school starts early but not sure when we will even find this out officially.

right. so if none of us know when schools begins how can we know for sure about our aug. disney trips?!
Most school systems have their schedules done—some have them laid out for the next two years. Our teachers have a CBA and it says when we start and finish

I know several school systems throughout the country are discussing starting early so they can better stagger classes for social distancing.

If that happens here (and its being discussed), that would definitely pre-empt our trip.
This is exactly what happened to us. We received an email from the superintendent on Friday that the start of school was moving up to August 27th from September 8th. So we shifted our dates and resort. As of now, we are still planning on going if the tri-state travel ban expires.

We’re July 31 - Aug 9. Bounce back free dining but for two adults and 1 kid the 35% discount came close to the free QS dining. First night at ASMov and then CSR for the rest. 99.9% positive that CSR is NBA bound so I’m not sure where it leaves us. We’re waiting on two things to make a final decision: what resort will we be moved to and can we get a park reservation for each day of our seven day tickets.

If we get moved to a resort we’re happy with and we get parks each of our ticket days, we’ll go. I’ve already prototyped a homemade mask made out of those cooling, moisture wicking towels 😂

We have tickets for 7 days but we would want to add days if there will be no park hoppers. It wouldn't be worth while for us if there are too many hoops to jump through and minimal incentives. It's too far to travel. If we can't even add tickets before the general population, it's too much stress for a short trip.

We cancelled and rebooked for August 2021. We’d rather go when things are back to “normal.” We were able to book our resort, but not tickets, as packages for that time haven’t been released. Any thought on when we may be able to add tickets?

We were supposed to arrive August 25th, but made the difficult decision yesterday to cancel. I tried to fight it, but I've come to the realization that Disney won't be back to 100%, and I don't feel like making concessions and worrying about what I and every other guest are doing at all times. None of that will make for a fun time, and that's before taking into account having to wear a mask in the blistering heat.

When we booked I had mentally prepared myself to deal with the heat, but everything else piling on top of that finally tipped the scales.

I want to remember my next Disney trip for all the right reasons. We will be looking forward to trying again in 2021!

We are tentatively moving ahead with our Aug 29-Sep 3 trip. We rescheduled this from April with expiring DVC points. We have annual passes already. Our flights were booked with credits from other cancelled flights. We figure we have plenty of time to watch how the parks open and monitor COVID in our state and Florida especially, and we can always cancel. Hopefully the virus situation improves, we can get park days, and the Poly pools aren't too crowded to enjoy.

As for the weather, I do pretty well in the heat. My daughter absolutely melts above 75, but she's willing to try for the chance to go to Disney. My husband works construction in Vegas with full PPE, so at least at WDW, he can wear shorts! :cool1:

This is exactly what happened to us. We received an email from the superintendent on Friday that the start of school was moving up to August 27th from September 8th. So we shifted our dates and resort. As of now, we are still planning on going if the tri-state travel ban expires.
We have not heard yet regarding our nj public schools. don't know about opening, don't know about changing the date from september 7 to earlier.
did hear from university , ny, earlier by one week in aug.
so it does affect us going or not yes.
but now i'm wondering about quarantine from nj/ny area. can't go if that's still a thing in august

We were supposed to arrive August 25th, but made the difficult decision yesterday to cancel. I tried to fight it, but I've come to the realization that Disney won't be back to 100%, and I don't feel like making concessions and worrying about what I and every other guest are doing at all times. None of that will make for a fun time, and that's before taking into account having to wear a mask in the blistering heat.

When we booked I had mentally prepared myself to deal with the heat, but everything else piling on top of that finally tipped the scales.

I want to remember my next Disney trip for all the right reasons. We will be looking forward to trying again in 2021!
I think all these things and how it may be too stressful. then i secretly think: wow maybe i can be on the new star wars and mickey railway rides all by myself....
i'm also starting to think that maybe yacht club may not be open (which is where we are booked). they don't have any dining opening there and the pool is closed so it's not looking good my resort is even available!

We are still ON for Aug 26-30th at GFV - it's just DH and I and no kids and I figured we can handle the heat and the masks! This isn't our first trip and it wont be the last, so we will take it slow, be flexible and enjoy our time there!

I'm also hoping by late August that more restaurants will be open, and since the parks would have been running for ~ 6 weeks that the kinks would have been worked out - or at least some of them!

and one of these days we should have a better understanding of how the park entry reservation system works so *maybe* I'll be able to book my park days or dining reservations at my 60 day mark - which isn't for another 18 days.

I know that if this was my first trip, with kids and if I was traveling a long distance I would definitely push my trip - I just couldn't imagine a trip with these many restrictions being the first one I had....it's such a magical place and I'm sure there will less magical-ness going on for a while....and the magic isn't cheap!

August 21 - Aug 25 (followed by 4 nights at Universal Royal Pacific)
Staying Club Level Grand Floridian - first time for both

I have booked a back-up for our 4 Disney nights at Cabana Bay in Universal just in case. I am leaning toward cancelling but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I would switch to 8 night Universal trip (with one day at Discovery Cove).

Reasons to cancel:
- Husband has already said he is not going and wearing a mask. The kids and I are still game for this.
- No club level
- Grand Floridian - no idea what is happening with the room but booked for hubby. It was his dream trip.
- Park reservations - no guarantee we can get in
- No park hopping
- Reduced hours
- Dining cancelled / no idea what new dining options look like
- Reduced transportation / possibly having to use bus from GF for all parks
- No fireworks or shows

Universal seems like the better bet here. Other than the masks and shows, they win on every other item I listed above. We haven't been back to WDW since 2016 and I was so looking forward to it. Did all Universal in 2017 and Disneyland in 2019.

We are still holding out hope for Disney being DVC so stuck with the resort/points. But if the park reservations/restrictions at Disney are too intense, we will upgrade to Universal APs and do some other local stuff. I’m trying to be positive about Disney, but it is a lot of unknowns!

when is the latest i have to cancel by if my trip is in later aug.? have the rules changed on that aspect?

when is the latest i have to cancel by if my trip is in later aug.? have the rules changed on that aspect?

I phoned Disney travel a few days ago regarding this. I was told I have up until 7 days prior to arrival to cancel our July 31st to August 13th trip and get a full refund. The CM was unable to direct me to a place the Disney web site that states this date\cancel policy and how long out it goes for however. I'll be calling again as my original June 30th cancel date arrives.

We cancelled our AKL trip the week of 8/16. We hadn’t purchased tickets yet and don’t feel comfortable flying. If we could drive, we may have gone, I don’t know. I feel sad but also relieved. We rented a beach house instead.

At this point I feel like we're just hanging on to our reservation to be obstinate, LOL! I really think we all feel June 2021 is our better choice, especially since the return to school is so unknown right now and the late return originally planned for this year is what we based our entire trip on. We just haven't given in and actually cancelled yet. It's a tad too early to book train tickets for June yet, so we may just wait until we can switch our current train tickets for June ones, and then cancel everything for our August trip. :(

At this point I feel like we're just hanging on to our reservation to be obstinate, LOL! I really think we all feel June 2021 is our better choice, especially since the return to school is so unknown right now and the late return originally planned for this year is what we based our entire trip on. We just haven't given in and actually cancelled yet. It's a tad too early to book train tickets for June yet, so we may just wait until we can switch our current train tickets for June ones, and then cancel everything for our August trip. :(

This is us EXACTLY. I've said on the boards and Facebook before we are 100% cancelling, lol. I just can't get myself to do it. I keep holding out that our August trip will somehow be normal or get some great benefit. (Like a free upgrade from CBR to the Poly). :rotfl2:

I know we will probably be cancelling mid June, but at this point, it doesn't really matter when we do it, and I kind of enjoy just waiting to see what happens next.

Still going. Aug 24-29. It will be interesting to see which resorts they expand the opening to. Right now we are staying at POR on the 24th and then moving to AKL until the 28th and then have a sv room at Kidani for our last night. Who knows if any of the first 4 nights’ resorts will be open. REALLY hoping AKL is open since that was pretty much dh’s only request for this trip. I will say, it would be ok with me, in the event that they cannot put us in akl for the 3 nights, it f they had to move us to a monorail resort. Hahahahhaha!!!

right now we have 2 day (hopper because of the now-cancelled dining offer) tickets and mnsshp tickets (which I’m assuming will get cancelled.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter