AUGUST 2020 TRIP

Francesco

Earning My Ears
Hello everybody,
I'm trying to organize a summer trip in the West Coast.

We will be in the Us from 8 to 22 of August.
We would like to visit Disneyland Resort for 4 or 5 days, and then move to Las vegas, Grand Canyon...
Which week is the best considering crowds, annual passholder blockout dates and everything else relevant?

Thanks in advance for helping me!

For LV and the Grand Canyon, post your questions in this forum: California & the West. You'll get lots of great help there!
For DLR: Most of the schedule changes, ride refurbs, AP Blockout lifts, etc. start to happen around the third week of August, so your dates should be fine. If you want to be safe, visit DLR earlier in your trip, rather than later. The first two weeks of August should still have the full high season schedule with longer hours and more entertainment. If you can do 5 days, that would allow you to take your time to enjoy both parks, see shows, do some TS meals (maybe some character meals and some dining packages?), go shopping, take pool breaks every day, etc. And if you purchase MP, you could still be stacking FPs to use in the evenings during your breaks! Use RD and the early park hours every day to your advantage, then have a nice lunch and an afternoon break once the crowds show up and the day gets hot, then return to the parks in the evenings to use your FPs and see nighttime entertainment. As long as the parks are still on the peak summer schedule, the crowds shouldn't really matter too much. With good planning and organization and MP, you should be able to have a great time. Where are you planning to stay, on or off site?

Thank you very much for your answer, so helpful and detailed!

I'm planning to stay off-site, since on-site hotels are quite expensive and don't give so many benefits... I would like to stay very close to the parks. Do you have any advice about hotels?

Thanks!

Thank you very much for your answer, so helpful and detailed!

I'm planning to stay off-site, since on-site hotels are quite expensive and don't give so many benefits... I would like to stay very close to the parks. Do you have any advice about hotels?

Thanks!
What is your budget? There are hotels and motels on harbor blvd a very short walk to the parks.

Hello,
budget could be around 200 dollars per night. An hotel very close to the entrance would be perfect to us!
The closest hotels are hojo and courtyard Marriott theme park entrance.

The closest motels are best western park place inn, park vue inn, Tropicana inn.

Some nice further away hotels are all “convention center” location. residence inn, hyatt house, hyatt place, homewood suites, SpringHill suites.

* DLR Info/Links - Maps, Hotels, DISer Reviews, Hydroguy's tips, NEWBIE INFO here! -- from the sticky threads at the top of the first page -- lots of great help and information here!
From that sticky:
HydroGuy Tips Compilation -- SO many helpful threads here!
From that thread:
"HydroGuy's Hotel Rule" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199862
"Choosing the Right DLR Area Hotel for You" www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-hotel-for-you.3656512/ -- you are absolutely right about wanting to be close to the parks! At DLR, it's all about being close, walking distance to the gates -- read these two threads, then ask any questions in the second thread.

How many people in your group? Ages? Any special needs? Any more information you can give us about your group, what they want to do/see, etc. will help us help you!

How many people in your group? Ages? Any special needs? Any more information you can give us about your group, what they want to do/see, etc. will help us help you!
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your support!
Our group consist of 5 people, all adults! We need 2 rooms or an apartment with kitchen, if possible.

Thanks for your support!
Our group consist of 5 people, all adults! We need 2 rooms or an apartment with kitchen, if possible.
[/QUOTE]
You can do two rooms or a suite with a kitchenette or a full kitchen. There are quite a few hotels with suites within walking distance to DLR. Look at: the Clementine (used to be a Residence Inn), the Springhill Suites Convention Center, the Residence Inn Convention Center, Homewood Suites (you can take the Toy Story lot shuttles for free to/from the parks), Desert Inn & Suites, Desert Palms, etc. A bit further away in Garden Grove (so the rates may be lower), look at the Embassy Suites Garden Grove, the Hampton Inn & Suites GG, etc.
We like the Candy Cane Inn -- two connecting or adjacent Premium Rooms (you might need a rollaway for the 5th person). Premium Rooms are larger, have a microwave and a small refrigerator, DVD player (free rentals at the front desk), free parking, free (generous) continental breakfast delivered to the room every morning, private shuttle that runs on time, 8-10 minute walk to the gates. Various discounts offered.
Be careful about apartments near DLR: "Apartment-like" Lodging near Disneyland. STRs are usually not highly recommended on this board for various reasons.

By the end of the 1st week of August, a lot of schools in AZ (and maybe UT?) will be back in session. I think you should START your trip in Vegas and the Grand Canyon and end it at DL. It'll be more around 8/24 that stuff at DL switches over to more of a "fall" schedule with some rides going under refurbishment. A good gauge of that is by looking at the AP block out calendar for So Cal APs on Disneyland's website.

THE closest off site hotels are Best Western Park Place Inn and the Park Vue Inn.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!