August Europe....

A virology expert in my country (NL) has said in a news item this morning that he expects that summer holidays to Southern Europe, as in Spain and Italy are very unlikely. Not impossible, as situation might change, but with how things look now, his estimation/guess is that mass tourism will be out for the summer.
Officials are also expecting civil unrest in Southern Italy.

Just in case anyone is still reading this thread... here’s a quick update on my non-refundable hotel reservation at the Scandic Palace in Copenhagen. Out of curiosity, I checked their website (again) and saw that the hotel is now closed through mid-August, including the dates we would’ve been staying there. I decided it was worth contacting them again to see if they might consider a refund, given that they are closed. It worked and I received the refund this week. Yay!

I thought I’d pass this along in case anyone else booked there and might be wanting to cancel.

A virology expert in my country (NL) has said in a news item this morning that he expects that summer holidays to Southern Europe, as in Spain and Italy are very unlikely. Not impossible, as situation might change, but with how things look now, his estimation/guess is that mass tourism will be out for the summer.

As this thread was revived I saw my post from early April. How things can change in 2 months! Ok, maybe not for international travel yet, but Italy has already reopened her doors for EU tourists, and Spain will soon follow 😊

Just in case anyone is still reading this thread... here’s a quick update on my non-refundable hotel reservation at the Scandic Palace in Copenhagen. Out of curiosity, I checked their website (again) and saw that the hotel is now closed through mid-August, including the dates we would’ve been staying there. I decided it was worth contacting them again to see if they might consider a refund, given that they are closed. It worked and I received the refund this week. Yay!

I thought I’d pass this along in case anyone else booked there and might be wanting to cancel.
Yes, for Denmark, definitely check! Most EU countries are fully or partially opening the doors this month. Denmark is opening the door just a tiny bit. So, worth checking for refunds.

Adding to this post. I had both international US to Europe and domestic intra-Europe flights this summer. I was waiting until closer to the date to even think about canceling. Both Delta and KLM canceled both of those flights so now I couldn’t go to Europe even if I wanted to. Delta canceled quite a while back; in fact, they have dropped their route period between the US and Iceland. I got a refund from Delta practically immediately. KLM just canceled on me two days ago for a July 15 flight and I had to fill out a form for a refund. I have not heard anything back from them and we shall see how long it takes for them to refund me. We were booked on a short Cunard cruise that I canceled back in March and no refund yet. :(

Adding to this post. I had both international US to Europe and domestic intra-Europe flights this summer. I was waiting until closer to the date to even think about canceling. Both Delta and KLM canceled both of those flights so now I couldn’t go to Europe even if I wanted to. Delta canceled quite a while back; in fact, they have dropped their route period between the US and Iceland. I got a refund from Delta practically immediately. KLM just canceled on me two days ago for a July 15 flight and I had to fill out a form for a refund. I have not heard anything back from them and we shall see how long it takes for them to refund me. We were booked on a short Cunard cruise that I canceled back in March and no refund yet. :(

still waiting for Air france to cancel our flights to europe for august....

We were supposed to fly AirFrance last Friday. AF canceled those flights 2 months ago. We requested a refund. It took a month for them to acknowledge the request, which they say then means that's when the clock starts ticking for the "8 weeks" to process it (that was early May.) Dh called last week, one month later, and is still being told 8 weeks from now. So, the never-ending "8 weeks."

We were supposed to fly AirFrance last Friday. AF canceled those flights 2 months ago. We requested a refund. It took a month for them to acknowledge the request, which they say then means that's when the clock starts ticking for the "8 weeks" to process it (that was early May.) Dh called last week, one month later, and is still being told 8 weeks from now. So, the never-ending "8 weeks."

My DD had a June 3rd flight get cancelled by AF a couple of months ago and we, too, are still waiting for a refund. I'm not impressed with their customer service at this point.

So our flight for august finally got cancelled by airfrance (the JFK to paris leg). Delta never contacted me but airfrance had contacted my dad. I called delta and the put in the refund and within a couple days I had the refund on my card. My dad called airfrance and within a couple days had a refund on his card but needs to check about the miles credit (he bought 3 tix with miles). So we are very satisfied with the customer service. Still hoping we can reboook for next year but nice to have the flexibility.

So our flight for august finally got cancelled by airfrance (the JFK to paris leg). Delta never contacted me but airfrance had contacted my dad. I called delta and the put in the refund and within a couple days I had the refund on my card. My dad called airfrance and within a couple days had a refund on his card but needs to check about the miles credit (he bought 3 tix with miles). So we are very satisfied with the customer service. Still hoping we can reboook for next year but nice to have the flexibility.

Ours, too. Well our outbound to Paris & Copenhagen was. Our return flight is in September and we are still waiting on this one to get cancelled. Air France has yet to refund DD's June flight and our outbound flights (we booked directly through them).

We just got our June flight refund to our credit card. Dh started talking to them in April. In fact, we got an email today from AF that basically says "we refunded you on June 10, now leave us alone."

We just got our June flight refund to our credit card. Dh started talking to them in April. In fact, we got an email today from AF that basically says "we refunded you on June 10, now leave us alone."

Sounds like a nice email (sarcasm here). Well, I hope we get ours soon. We requested the refund when they cancelled the flight a while back. They were impossible to reach to change that ticket (tried phone, online, social media, everything) so we had to get a new ticket just to get DD home. Now they are saying 12 weeks for the June flight. I'm not a fan of Air France at this point.

I was surprised to get a full refund on everything. Although it took Delta a long time to come through, apparently because I used mileage plus dollars for the flight to Miami. Norwegian Air paid within a week of cancelling our flight back from Barcelona. And of course, we got a full refund from DCL. We haven't rescheduled a new cruise and don't expect to until possibly 2022.

I was surprised to get a full refund on everything. Although it took Delta a long time to come through, apparently because I used mileage plus dollars for the flight to Miami. Norwegian Air paid within a week of cancelling our flight back from Barcelona. And of course, we got a full refund from DCL. We haven't rescheduled a new cruise and don't expect to until possibly 2022.
Probably was the mileage that caused issue with your Delta refund. My cash Delta flights were refunded in 2 or 3 days in April (I think it was April, maybe March). My experience was very common at the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!