August........Trip Reports

Kris That was her in the red cart last Jan. Had her down to to 70 lbs. but with the hot weather now she spends all day on an AC vent and thinks every time I do something like go to the store, take out the garbage, take a shower, clear the dinner table basically anything. She deserves a cookie or three

We did a trial run for a few days at Lake George RV Park. I used to rent a house but each year it gets harder to find one dog friendly in a good neighborhood so bought the TT. What better neighborhood to stay than Disney? Also feel that we are close enough to make it back if power goes out at the Fort and I feel safer too.

Making my return to the Fort, at least a return where I am actually staying there, August 18th thru the 21st. Tent camping so I gotta dig out the portable A/C so I don’t float away on a river of my own sweat. 🤣🤣 Got into an AP preview for Galaxy’s Edge so I am excited even though it’s a solo trip as the wife can’t get off work and she ain’t staying in a tent anyway. But as I have been a die hard Star Wars fan since ‘77 she told me to go for it. Will try to remember and post some pics for the trip when I get there. Also can’t wait to be back at the Fort just chillin’. One of my favorite things to do. 😁

SW fan since 77 as well. I wish I had been paying attention, but I missed the Galaxy's Edge AP preview, and I already had plans to be there even before the GE opening dates were announced.

Post Pics so we can get a vicarious preview.8-)

We'll I picked up the camper with only half the repairs done. cleaned it up, washed it, and started packing it. Plan is to get home Friday night from work, load up everything else, get some sleep, the hookup in the morning and be at the fort by dinner time. :thumbsup2 Then when we get there Saturday night figure out the park for Sunday and make get some fast passes. (I still haven't done any planning)

Despite my Wish to visit the Fort for Kickin’ It and construction pictures, I was not able to get over there. My wife has everything planned for our whole stay. We do have some “down” days and days where we can fill in open time with other options, but the kiddos quickly fill those up with other things they want to do, and going to FW for pics was not one of the things they chose. As I am not able to go running off and leave them to my wife, I have to be content to see the Fort and construction from the boat on a Bay Lake (one of the things they DID choose to do). Have great trips everyone!

We made it in last night.

Left home a bit north of Atlanta at 11:00, I was hoping to get out by 10:00 at the latest so we get there before dark. W since we are doing the 500 mile trip without a stopover for the night.
Got to the Fort Check in at 8:40pm and it was dark. So I was going to have to get into the sight in the dark.

Took a few attempts, but we have good site, and not bad to back into (218). I thought I either I done a good job backing in, or everyone so happy I finally backed it because just as I finished backing in I heard fireworks. Then I noticed the time. 9:00.

We finally did some planning on the way. We decided the first will be MK because for some reason we were both craving Casey's Hot Dogs.

Today was MK, and true to our craving we had lunch at Casey's so that craving's satisfied for a couple of years.

Then on to the Laugh Floor, Space Ranger Spin, Carousel of Progress, People Mover, Hall Of Presidents, Haunted Mansion, Small World, and Philhar Magic. Not bad for starting at 3:30 or so.
DW doesn't do the more exciting rides like Space Moutian, so we skip it those when it's just the two of us.

Overall the park was not that crowded.

I think tomorrow will be Epcot, but I know the next day is AK. The only FPs we got before the trip where FoP. DW has decided not do it, so i'll have to do that one solo.

Had to recover from setup day so I am a day behind it’s my trip reporting. Got overeager & left at 12 AM Sunday. Still getting used to the new faster travel time since we moved in June & not having my wife or Mom with me is new so my time was really good. Got to the Fort at 5:15 after a 25 minute stop for gas & food. They had a spot in the 1500 loop for me reserved per my request but it would be after 11 at the earliest until it was ready. They had one spot in the 2000 loop ready for me to get into if I wanted but it wasn’t in a location I liked & I always get put in the 2000 loop. So I decided to wait for the 1500 site & I could see afterwards if it was worth waiting for or if going forward I will just get the first available spot. Kind of a Fort experiment if you will. 🤣
So I chilled in my car under the A/C til the first external bus started running which was to HS. Let me state here that I woke up at 9 AM Saturday morning, went through my day, laid down at 6 PM, never fell asleep but nodded off a couple of times, got up at 11 PM to finish packing the car and shower and then took off. So no sleep so far which is why I kept nodding off on every bus I took that morning. Back to the story, I then sat down on the bench closest to the Friendship boats at HS without ever going into the park. I watched the sun come up as I waited on a boat. When the boat arrived, I floated my way to the Boardwalk Bakery. I had the ham egg sandwich deal but it was just so so. I then waited for a bus to DS which took a while because it was not 9 AM yet. Another bus ride and I got to the Springs & hopped a bus back to the Fort, yes, still nodding off each time. 🤣
At the Fort I decided to hit the Outlet on International as my wife had asked me too & since I was still waiting on the site I went ahead in headed out. Man I must love my wife. I waited 10 minutes to get IN the store then 30 to 40 minutes in line to checkout. But they had the items she wanted me to look for so what can ya do? 🤷‍♂️
Headed back to the Fort with a stop at 7/11 to get a Cherry Limeade sugar free Slurpee. Back into the car thinking if that site ain’t ready I’m gonna go remind them I am here because it’s getting warm. Before I get back around 12:20 PM I get the text that the site is ready at site 1508. So I head over and start the grueling chore of setting up my tent, screenhouse, & other big items I use while camping. It only took til 3:30 PM. 😳🥵🥵
So with all the main items setup I lay down in my A/C cooled room (tent has two) & finally sleep. Until 6:30 PM. Better than nothing. Then I finished organizing everything the way I like it (a little OCD am I) & then made my way to the Meadows for some well deserved Coke Zero. Got back to the tent and took it easy until time to shower then off to sleep. At one point I was like why do I keep one man tent camping in central Florida in the Summer (sun beating down on me at that moment) & at the end of the night I’m like “I love this ****” 🤣
Morning happens as it does & I go potty then I head up front to make sure they charge my Disney gift card & not my debit card for the room & my golf cart which I pick up as I am doing this with the front desk. I was cheap & skipped having a cart the first day but man I was missing it after I was wore out. They had a bunch of carts ready so I got mine at 7:45 AM which is awesome. Made my way to get some Coke Zero then back to the site to fix breakfast. Turned out good but had a bird try to get my eggs when I was putting something in the tent. I had rocks, he had friends. I won and no one was hurt. Breakfast was good but ate too much. Then on the cart to ride around to air out after sweating while making breakfast as the sun decides to shine right on me as I cooked in the screenhouse. Then I notice the battery light flashing and the battery indicator, which was on full when I got it, is now close to empty after a total of maybe 40 minutes ride time. So it is now charging in front of Pioneer Hall as I wait for the settlement to open. Actually it opened 20 minutes ago but I write a lot. So that’s it so far. GE preview at 5 PM. Will post many pics, barring my forgetting. As for what to do til then, I’ll play it by ear. Anyone here feel free to stop by 1508 to say hi. See y’all later. And yes, as you can tell by the pics, it is a Star Wars trip. 🤣🤣🤣
Oh yeah, I now have my Star Wars throw on the chair that you see in the photo but too lazy to take another pic of that setup. But just had to make sure everyone knew I have achieved max SW decor in the tent. 🤣🤣🤣

1B3E7E95-9509-4B1C-B239-876D612EDAD5.jpeg

Last edited:
No long winded post this time. Got back to the site after midnight & I am too tired to fall asleep right away so here’s my day. Left the Fort a lil after 2 PM. Went to Poly for lime dole whip in the tiki bowl to replace the one my wife cracked (it had become my favorite snack bowl). Headed to HS. Straight to Galaxy’s Edge to stand in the entryway while it rained. Finally went in. Explored the land many times in my 4 hours allotted there. Built a droid, rode Smugglers Run 3 times, had a gross chicken dish at Docking Bay 7 & just enjoyed being in the land. Headed back to the Fort, then to DS for pizza (craving to erase the bad chicken taste) then back to the Fort. Good day all around. See, only medium winded this time. 🤣🤣

427466 🤢

427473Eating Combos in a galaxy far, far away. 🤣

427476Don’t tell the wife about this one. 🤫🤣

Got home yesterday evening. Had a great time. Tuesday I just explored the Fort a little, swimming at the quiets pool, enjoying some GOOD fried chicken at P&J’s, taking my s’mores kit to the campfire and setting my marshmallows on fire 🤣 (the way I like em), and trying the brisket cheesesteak at the Chuck Wagon, it was delicious. In between I went to Epcot to try the flavored popcorn that I haven’t had yet by the land. They were OK but still prefer the Maple and regular butter varieties. Yesterday packed up early and got a bounty platter and didn’t realize until I was in Ocala FOUR hours later that they left off the potato barrels, which I love. I must have been out of it not to notice while I was eating but oh well. Rode around and talked to some new friends I meet a few days earlier while playing silly Star Wars songs on my Bluetooth speaker while looping. Then I returned the cart and headed home. Great time overall for my Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge preview solo trip. Good to have the me time but I was missing the puppy and even the wife a little by the second day. 🤣🤣🤣
Looking forward to the Halloween trip when we all get to go. Extra pics follow. Thanks for reading guys. 👍
(Forgot to take pics of outside of campsite setup. Don’t know why. 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤣)

The wife said I never looked better. 🤣🤣

Last edited:
Glad you had good trip KornBred. Wish I had mad it GE.

Doing a later day today, so I'll catch up on with trip report. Unfortunately I don't have any cool pictures like KornBred. :confused3

Monday was Epcot, mostly just spending time in the park. We decided to see what we could get for Diner and found La Hacienda San Angel was available, we had never been there so decided to try it. I can understand why it was available. The food was good, but only good, but the only discounts were for DVC, no AP or Disney Visa. Then we went for our last viewing of Illuminations. It was quite emotional. Illuminations has been there for bulk of time we have been coming to Disney. It will be missed greatly.😢

We typically watch it from the patio next to the Rose and Crown. I spoke with a cast member at the beer station outside the R&C about the replacement, and it seems that when Illuminations leaves a temporary show will replace it until spring of 2020 when the permanent show will start. Like the changes at the Fort, we are hopeful for a great outcome, but not expecting it.

Tuesday was AK. Another day of mostly hanging out in park and taking it easy. I did get to ride FoP finally. The ride was great! The pre-show was long, and the pre-pre-show was long as well. It felt like forever.

Wednesday was HS. This started with Frozen sing along, then Little Mermaid, Toy Story Mania, Star Tours, and the Star Wars Fireworks show.

Thursday was down day/Fort day. We rented a cart so we went looping for a while. Late August is not a good time for looping. A lot of sites are empty, and there are no holidays coming up to decorate for, but a few had some Halloween decorations. We ended our day at the campfire and movie (Meet the Robinsons). All in all a nice relaxing day.

Today will be a second MK day. Mostly focusing on Adventure Land, and Frontier Land.

Hello everyone, is anyone coming this weekend, labor day, to FW???. all my family is going I am concerned about the storm coming, what is the procedure FW has in case there is a tropical storm/hurricane warning for orlando? We are arriving Thursday August 29th, c/o Monday Sept 2nd, we will be camping in a Pop-up camper and a tent. Thanks!

Hello everyone, is anyone coming this weekend, labor day, to FW???. all my family is going I am concerned about the storm coming, what is the procedure FW has in case there is a tropical storm/hurricane warning for orlando? We are arriving Thursday August 29th, c/o Monday Sept 2nd, we will be camping in a Pop-up camper and a tent. Thanks!

We're heading down there this weekend, too. Driving to Ocala on Thursday evening and then FW from Fri-Mon. Native Floridian here, but watching the weather closely as home is up in the Panhandle, some of the models have it crossing over into the Gulf and up to our neck of the woods. Still way to early to know where it will end up or how strong.

In the past, if conditions are deemed to be unsafe to camp, they have offered refunds or moved guests to other resorts to hunker down and ride out any storms.

We're heading down there this weekend, too. Driving to Ocala on Thursday evening and then FW from Fri-Mon. Native Floridian here, but watching the weather closely as home is up in the Panhandle, some of the models have it crossing over into the Gulf and up to our neck of the woods. Still way to early to know where it will end up or how strong.

In the past, if conditions are deemed to be unsafe to camp, they have offered refunds or moved guests to other resorts to hunker down and ride out any storms.
HI Thanks for the answer. Now the cone is showing central florida as target, although only as a Tropical Storm, i'm afraid i would need to close my camper wet/while raining. Do you know if that parks will close in the case of the storm going there? Thanks :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!