Aulani Activities for Tweens

amym2

DIS Veteran
Going to Aulani in October with DD9 and DS11 (two weeks shy of 12). They've never been very willing to utilize kids clubs on cruises, but I'm wondering if there are any activities at Aunty's that I could talk them into. Has anyone's tween enjoyed time there?

Also wondering which family activities are worthwhile. DH and FIL will be there, too, so DD and I might do something like lei making or hula lessons while the boys are off doing something else. What should we not miss while on Aulani property (I'm not looking for ideas outside of Aulani, I have those covered)?

DS 12 and I enjoyed the ukelele class at aulani. We also enjoyed uncle's firepit storytelling. And snorkeling in the lagoon. We also did a tour of the grounds and plant life. I can't remember what it was officially called but it was interesting. And of course the minehune adventure trail.

DS 12 and I enjoyed the ukelele class at aulani. We also enjoyed uncle's firepit storytelling. And snorkeling in the lagoon. We also did a tour of the grounds and plant life. I can't remember what it was officially called but it was interesting. And of course the minehune adventure trail.

Thanks! All of those activities sound interesting. Did you have to sign up for the ukelele class and Uncle's storytelling?

Thanks! All of those activities sound interesting. Did you have to sign up for the ukelele class and Uncle's storytelling?

Yes, we had to sign up for the ukelele class but the storytelling is done several times throughout the week out by the firepit. No need to sign up for that. We didn't go until our last night and DS made the comment he wished we had gone earlier in the week too.

I just posted this on another forum so I'll just repost it. Let me know if you have any more specific questions...

Hi! I'm a cast member at Aulani so hopefully I'll be able to answer a few of your questions

First off, for kids we have Aunty's Beach House which is a great facility where you can drop your kids off. There staff are fully trained childcare professionals. The Beach House features a wide variety of activities including character interactions. There is a movie room, interactive tables, a video game area, etc. Parents are allowed to view the facility in the morning but after a certain time, they only allow children into the house (aside from picking up and dropping off). There are also a few character activities throughout the day including Disney's Junior Aloha / Playdate which feature different characters depending on the day. This normally occurs in the morning so parents can attend and is sort of like a dance party. They also have Stitch's Space Goo which you have to sign up for in advance. Children create (and can take home) their own "space goo." They also have a premium program at night called Aloha Fun with Chip and Dale. For tweens/teens there is a teen section of the spa called painted sky which has video games, a frozen yogurt station, and spa options (manicures, pedicures, etc).

There is also a character breakfast at Makahiki which has Mickey, Minnie, and Goofy. Tons of fun Also, check out the Menehune adventure trail. It's kind of like a scavenger hunt where you're given something that looks like a smart phone. It directs you around the resort and triggers things to happen that a normal guest wouldn't see. There are also guided tours that you can go on using the device. The device can be picked up at the Pau Hana room where you can play video games and also rent Disney DVDs.

One thing you definitely don't want to miss is the Starlit Hui. It's on Monday's and Thursday's at the Halawai Lawn. It is Disney's version of a Luau and features arts and crafts, music, hula, and a character dance party.

I just posted this on another forum so I'll just repost it. Let me know if you have any more specific questions...

Hi! I'm a cast member at Aulani so hopefully I'll be able to answer a few of your questions

First off, for kids we have Aunty's Beach House which is a great facility where you can drop your kids off. There staff are fully trained childcare professionals. The Beach House features a wide variety of activities including character interactions. There is a movie room, interactive tables, a video game area, etc. Parents are allowed to view the facility in the morning but after a certain time, they only allow children into the house (aside from picking up and dropping off). There are also a few character activities throughout the day including Disney's Junior Aloha / Playdate which feature different characters depending on the day. This normally occurs in the morning so parents can attend and is sort of like a dance party. They also have Stitch's Space Goo which you have to sign up for in advance. Children create (and can take home) their own "space goo." They also have a premium program at night called Aloha Fun with Chip and Dale. For tweens/teens there is a teen section of the spa called painted sky which has video games, a frozen yogurt station, and spa options (manicures, pedicures, etc).

There is also a character breakfast at Makahiki which has Mickey, Minnie, and Goofy. Tons of fun Also, check out the Menehune adventure trail. It's kind of like a scavenger hunt where you're given something that looks like a smart phone. It directs you around the resort and triggers things to happen that a normal guest wouldn't see. There are also guided tours that you can go on using the device. The device can be picked up at the Pau Hana room where you can play video games and also rent Disney DVDs.

One thing you definitely don't want to miss is the Starlit Hui. It's on Monday's and Thursday's at the Halawai Lawn. It is Disney's version of a Luau and features arts and crafts, music, hula, and a character dance party.

Thanks for your response! Our kids have never been very willing to use Disney's kids' clubs (although I know they are fabulous) and now that they are 9 and almost 12, they say there are too many little kids there. They usually prefer just to stick with us, so we'll likely be doing more of the family activities.

We will definitely do the Menehune Adventure and the Starlit Hui. And we will do the buffet at Makahiki, although we're doing it on a non-character day since that saves a bit of money and our kids don't care that much about characters any more (plus hopefully we'll see them other times).

Unfortunately the kids aren't old enough for the teen spa (I think you have to be 13, right?). I'd like to do a massage or facial or something with my DD9 but have had a hard time figuring out what our options are. I'm hoping I can just book something once we're there. I know she won't be able to use the spa features like the hydrotherapy garden, but maybe I can hand her off to DH and I can use them.

Thanks for your response! Our kids have never been very willing to use Disney's kids' clubs (although I know they are fabulous) and now that they are 9 and almost 12, they say there are too many little kids there. They usually prefer just to stick with us, so we'll likely be doing more of the family activities.

We will definitely do the Menehune Adventure and the Starlit Hui. And we will do the buffet at Makahiki, although we're doing it on a non-character day since that saves a bit of money and our kids don't care that much about characters any more (plus hopefully we'll see them other times).

Unfortunately the kids aren't old enough for the teen spa (I think you have to be 13, right?). I'd like to do a massage or facial or something with my DD9 but have had a hard time figuring out what our options are. I'm hoping I can just book something once we're there. I know she won't be able to use the spa features like the hydrotherapy garden, but maybe I can hand her off to DH and I can use them.

Awww that's a shame.. Sometimes I wish I could go there because the programs are so fun :P

Yup! Minnie, Mickey, and Goofy are out every day. Donald, Chip/Dale, and Stitch also come out during the week but Donald usually comes out only twice a week so make sure you catch him :) times and schedules can be found on the daily iwa which are dropped off at your room every day :)

I'm not too sure about the Spa. You could call and check with them in terms of ages. It's WONDERFUL though. I've been there 3 times and I LOVED it. :) their amenities are also pretty awesome so make sure you go a little early to enjoy them :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter