Aulani and Grand Wailea in July 2020?

minnienurse01

Earning My Ears
Our family of five was originally planning on visiting Aulani then Grand Wailea, in early June 2020. Plans have now changed since my daughter was accepted into dance company. Our only option looks like July 2020. Do you think Aulani and Grand Wailea are going to be so packed that it would not be enjoyable?

Last edited:
Our family of five was originally planning on visiting Grand Wailea then flying to Maui, in early June 2020. Plans have now changed since my daughter was accepted into dance company. Our only option looks like July 2020. Do you think Aulani and Grand Wailea are going to be so packed that it would not be enjoyable?

Unfortunately, the question you ask is a very subjective one. A lot will depend on your tolerance for crowds as Hawai’i is a popular destination. That being said, I always travel during peak times (holiday/summer) and have never visited a site that was so packed that I didn’t enjoy myself (WDW/Aulani). The only time you may notice how crowded Aulani is is at the pool. As OP have said in other threads, you may have to get up early to get your pool chairs, but there are normally chairs at the beach. I’ve visited Aulani over July 4th and Christmas and neither time did I feel that the resort fullness impacted my enjoyment of my vacation. You just have to pack your patience and decide what you want your itinerary to be.

While I haven’t stayed at the Grand Wailea, I have been there for dinner while on Maui. This is a large resort and as such you probably won’t notice how many people are there until you go to the pool. They also have a beach, but of course all Hawai’i beaches are public. At no time did I feel the public spaces of the resort were crowded and I was actually surprised at how few people were in the restaurant for dinner.

If you haven’t already, check out the TripAdvisor reviews for both resorts during the month you want to visit to see if overcrowding is a theme. Good luck with your decision.

Unfortunately, the question you ask is a very subjective one. A lot will depend on your tolerance for crowds as Hawai’i is a popular destination. That being said, I always travel during peak times (holiday/summer) and have never visited a site that was so packed that I didn’t enjoy myself (WDW/Aulani). The only time you may notice how crowded Aulani is is at the pool. As OP have said in other threads, you may have to get up early to get your pool chairs, but there are normally chairs at the beach. I’ve visited Aulani over July 4th and Christmas and neither time did I feel that the resort fullness impacted my enjoyment of my vacation. You just have to pack your patience and decide what you want your itinerary to be.

While I haven’t stayed at the Grand Wailea, I have been there for dinner while on Maui. This is a large resort and as such you probably won’t notice how many people are there until you go to the pool. They also have a beach, but of course all Hawai’i beaches are public. At no time did I feel the public spaces of the resort were crowded and I was actually surprised at how few people were in the restaurant for dinner.

If you haven’t already, check out the TripAdvisor reviews for both resorts during the month you want to visit to see if overcrowding is a theme. Good luck with your decision.
Thank you so much for your help! I think we are going to book for July 2020.

Our family of five was originally planning on visiting Grand Wailea then flying to Maui, in early June 2020. Plans have now changed since my daughter was accepted into dance company. Our only option looks like July 2020. Do you think Aulani and Grand Wailea are going to be so packed that it would not be enjoyable?

We were at Grand Wailea a few years ago early August. It was beautiful! We did not find it too crowded at all. Never had a problem with pool chairs or restaurant or spa reservations. The spa at tho Grand Wailea is an experience you won’t want to miss. Lazy river and beach is awesome. I have not been to Aulani yet. We’re going in October, and can only hope it’s as awesome as the Grand Wailea. Just not sure it could be as special! I should say that this is coming from a DVC member and a Disney fan.

We were at Grand Wailea a few years ago early August. It was beautiful! We did not find it too crowded at all. Never had a problem with pool chairs or restaurant or spa reservations. The spa at tho Grand Wailea is an experience you won’t want to miss. Lazy river and beach is awesome. I have not been to Aulani yet. We’re going in October, and can only hope it’s as awesome as the Grand Wailea. Just not sure it could be as special! I should say that this is coming from a DVC member and a Disney fan.
Thank you! We visited Grand Wailea this past May/June and it was not crowded at all. But this was before the end of the school year so I wasn’t sure if the crowd would change.

We have been to both Aulani and the Grand Wailea twice. Once in November and once in August. I absolutely love both hotels. They are probably my two favorites! However, I will say when we there in August it was insane. Almost to the point of not being enjoyable. At Aulani we had to actually put our towels on a rock. There was not one beach chair to be found. And the Grand Wailea was a madhouse. To the point my husband and I both said we would probably not return in the summer. In November, both hotels were fabulous, however not so much in the summer. I guess I would just manage my expectations! Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter