Aulani and Honolulu 7 day cruise?

cewewee

Mouseketeer
Has anyone combined these two? I would love to know how you did it! Number of days at Aulani, excursions you did from the resort, transportation from airport and from resort to cruise...

We did this in June; I never wrote a TR :(

We started with two nights in Waikiki, just to make sure our luggage caught up to us before boarding the cruise (it did). We did not book the package with NCL; I just booked direct with the Marriott, as that's my hotel chain of choice. We rented a car at the airport. We did Diamond Head, Hanauma Bay, and surf lessons while staying there. We toured downtown before returning our car near the port and boarded the cruise in late afternoon (around 3-4).

Since this was our first time in Hawaii, we wanted to see several islands, so we loved the cruise for that. All we did was eat and sleep on the ship, except on Kona afternoon, when we boarded early enough to make free kukui nut leis. We rented cars in every port. There are 4 of us, so it was always cheaper (and more flexible) than any excursions.

On our return, we took a taxi back to the airport area to rent another car for our Aulani stay. We spent five nights at Aulani. We did Pearl Harbor and the swap meet one day, and we did the north shore one day. Other than that, we didn't leave Aulani except for the Paradise Cove luau and a couple of meals across the street. Aulani was the most beautiful man-made thing we saw in all of Hawaii.

We really would love to relax at Aulani again, but with the cost, it's not likely we will return. I want to see more of Kauai and Maui next trip (5 years!!!!), so as much as I'd love to see Kailua, Hanauma Bay again, and Aulani again, Oahu is third on the priority list. If airfares drive me to fly in or out of Oahu, I'd do two nights at Aulani in a heartbeat!!! Otherwise, I doubt I'll be able to swing it :( (There are other places we want to go between now and then, too, so...)

I'd love to answer any other questions! We had an amazing trip!!!

We did this two years ago. Spent 7 nights at Aulani with the cruise following.

Glad we did the cruise once, won't repeat it though. Good way to sample the islands but the cruise experience was a bit lacking, even in concierge cabins. At the various island stops we (5 of us) typically just negotiated with a cab driver to tour the island for a few hours. One Island (Maui?) we rented a car for the day because we had already been to that island on a previous trip and knew what where we wanted to go. We did do a very nice luau while on the cruise. I'll see if I can find out what island that was on.

At Aulani (which we've now been to 4 years in a row) we are pretty much an enjoy the resort group. We do go for a drive up to the north shore and over to Kailua. And some high-end shopping in Waikiki. But overall, its a slow, relaxing stay for us.

We did 7 day cruise/6 day Aulani. Cruise was a good way to see other islands and we did a lot of tours, but the cruise/ship part leaves lot to be desired if you are spoiled by the quality of Disney cruises.

We just did this. Sept 23rd to 30th at Aulani and the 30th to October 7th on the Pride of America. It was fabulous. I can't say which part I loved more. Aulani is amazing, too crowded on weekends. When we arrived from the airport we could not even get to the lobby, there was an employee on the driveway sending us into the parking garage. WE had to drag all our luggage from the garage to the front desk. It was impossible to get a chair or a tube other than in the adult area on the weekend. The week days there were no problems. I don't think they do a very good job of checking wrist bands and chair monitoring. The resort is beautiful the pools and lazy river are wonderful Monday - Friday. The cruise has beautiful ports. If you are used to DCL you will be disappointed. The rooms are very small and the shows are like high school performances. The food in the sit down restaurants and East meets West was very good. The buffets are boring and never hot unless you wait on lime for an omelet. We ate lots of hot dogs and hamburgers that week. The ports are what makes it and the scenery. Let me know if you have any questions!

When we arrived from the airport we could not even get to the lobby, there was an employee on the driveway sending us into the parking garage. WE had to drag all our luggage from the garage to the front desk.
If that happens again, just tell the attendant that you need help with your luggage. They will either let you go up to drop your bags or will send bell services to help you.

It was impossible to get a chair or a tube other than in the adult area on the weekend
Oh man :( I had seen several posts here that September was nice and quiet. I'm shocked to hear it was so busy. We were there in June and while it was crowded, we never had an issue finding a chair or two together or tubes, even on the weekend. (Maybe not exactly the chair we wanted, but something.) We also did see the chair policy being enforced. The weekends were definitely busier than weekdays, as you noted.

I'd be curious to hear what you did on Maui and Kauai. I'm planning my return trip already!!! :)

We are doing this in November. 3 nights in Waikiki (last night is on NCL) then the cruise, then 5 nights at Aulani. Seems pretty popular to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!