Aulani Luau

How is the food being served there now? We did priority seating pre-covid, so ours came pre-plated. We didn’t have any issues with getting seconds (in generous portions) of what we wanted, unlike what happened to you @Larry. That’s the thing I detest about family-style and unfortunately his experience mirrors experiences we’ve had often at those types of meals. Which is why I’m so dreading if Disney goes to those over buffets. Glad you enjoyed their show; we did too!

We attended the Aulani luau last night and really enjoyed it. We had general seating but I honestly didn’t feel like we missed out on anything substantial by not getting VIP. We all received our food in bento boxes. The food was really good but we didn’t ask for seconds - we were really full with what we had. I guess my one criticism would be the dessert, lol. The dessert was very small and I would have preferred the chocolate cake that my son received instead, lol. We got to make leis at our table, too. Our servers were excellent and very attentive and it was an open bar even for general seating.

There is box seating at the back for some tier—farther from the stage but up higher, so you’re not looking around people to see the stage. I had to walk up to the window past the buffet to get my big mai tai in the souvenir glass. It was a ticket or one of the “$x” vouchers with the highest tier. I was determined to sit right up front and I could literally see the sweat running off the fire knife guy. Worth every penny.
Are you talking about Spirit of Aloha at the Polynesian?

What’s the best luau on the island , what are the prices for 2021 ? What do they include ? Do some other luau places come down to pick you up and take you back to the hotel ? I went when Alani first opened about 10 years ago this September .

What’s the best luau on the island , what are the prices for 2021 ? What do they include ? Do some other luau places come down to pick you up and take you back to the hotel ? I went when Alani first opened about 10 years ago this September .
The show that Aulani used to put on back then was called the "Starlit Hui," and was not marketed as a luau. I never went to the Starlit Hui, but from what I understand that was a very different experience compared to the luau that is now being offered.

As per my earlier post, I highly recommend the Aulani luau.

The show that Aulani used to put on back then was called the "Starlit Hui," and was not marketed as a luau. I never went to the Starlit Hui, but from what I understand that was a very different experience compared to the luau that is now being offered.

As per my earlier post, I highly recommend the Aulani luau.
The show part wasn’t that different; there was no meal, which is why it wasn’t “like” a luau. But the biggest difference was that it was FREE! It was still happening when we booked our trip (2017) bu they’d converted it to a paid event by the time we traveled. On that principle alone, we booked Paradise Cove instead. (I’d already suffered three Disney “switcheroos” before then; fool me four times, shame on me!)

The show part wasn’t that different; there was no meal, which is why it wasn’t “like” a luau. But the biggest difference was that it was FREE! It was still happening when we booked our trip (2017) bu they’d converted it to a paid event by the time we traveled. On that principle alone, we booked Paradise Cove instead. (I’d already suffered three Disney “switcheroos” before then; fool me four times, shame on me!)
Just curious to know -- how do you know that the show part of the Luau is "not that different" from the Starlit Hui? As I said, I never went to the Starlit Hui so I am just taking others' word for it. From what I have read the Starlit Hui and the current Ka Wa'a luau are very different.

See post 104 in this thread (admittedly quite old):
https://www.disboards.com/threads/ka-wa‘a-a-luau-at-aulani.3540781/page-6

I'm going to echo what the previous poster said about the food and service at the luau being disappointing for VIP purchases in mid-May (I went the night after he did and had a similarly poor experience). I will also echo what the other posters said about the show being excellent. I can't speak to how it compares to any other luaus on the island, as my only other experience is about 18 years ago and probably not too relevant any more.

I'd advise you if you go to not get VIP and not expect a great meal or awesome service, which should keep your expectations in check enough that you enjoy it. I suspect that as health restrictions ease the luau will probably return to its former glory, which from what I understand was a pretty good all-around experience.

I'd also say if you have a room overlooking the luau, you can save on the cost and just watch from there...

Just curious to know -- how do you know that the show part of the Luau is "not that different" from the Starlit Hui? As I said, I never went to the Starlit Hui so I am just taking others' word for it. From what I have read the Starlit Hui and the current Ka Wa'a luau are very different.

See post 104 in this thread (admittedly quite old):
https://www.disboards.com/threads/ka-wa‘a-a-luau-at-aulani.3540781/page-6
From my friend who went both before and after and other DIS’ers who reported the show was different but not THAT different. It is “very different” because one was just a show and the other is a show plus activities plus a meal.

We just returned and attended the Luau on May 25th. We attended back in 2019, and have to say that this version was preferable. We were in preferred seating and because we were a party of two were in the front row. We were chatting with the cast during the food service which helped with our use of the poi. The bento box courses were excellent. We both loved the food and thought it was a much better option than before when it was served buffet style. The storyline was essentially the same, except the pre-show activities were built into the show now (poi making/sampling and lei making). The food service was more than adequate and the only thing that I have to complain about was the fish which was a tad overcooked. The rest was fantastic. We've never done another Luau on Oahu so I can't say one is better than the other, but for us this was definitely worth it.

Last edited:
So I see mixed reviews,,which you will always get. But consistent is that go for the show not the food. Is this the same as HDDMR at WDW. We love the show and entertainment. The food is good, not gourmet, but hey you can always get fried chicken as good and whole lot cheaper, but no show. So fair comparison?

So I see mixed reviews,,which you will always get. But consistent is that go for the show not the food. Is this the same as HDDMR at WDW. We love the show and entertainment. The food is good, not gourmet, but hey you can always get fried chicken as good and whole lot cheaper, but no show. So fair comparison?
Yes, I think you understand the basic gist. I doubt anyone walks away from either the Aulani luau or the Fort Wilderness HDDMR thinking they just had the best meal of their lives. :-) But I certainly enjoyed the food and drinks. The show itself (in my opinion) was amazing. We 100% would return to this luau.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!