Aulani March 2018 Trip Report

Although now that I think about it, friendly but frazzled and sometimes invisible waitstaff were a theme at Makahiki and the Olelo Room as well.

I enjoyed your trip report! I need to get mine started before I forget everything!

Thank you very much! It keeps the experience going for a little bit longer. I really wish I were back at Aulani...
We just missed each other! We were there Sunday-Friday.
I wouldn't mind frazzled and invisible service if the prices weren't so high, but paying $300 for dinner and not getting drinks we ordered and basically being ignored is a little tough to take.

Last edited:
I loved reading your report. I have never been to Hawaii. So reading your report was great. We live in Central CA so when you mentioned San Jose, I’d never thought about that airport. We usually fly SMF 2 hour drive, or Oakland 2 hour drive. San Jose would be 2 hours too. Traffic has scared me away from there. So I’ll check San Jose flights too.
So I’m coming with my husband and one son, we have 6 kids, and his wife and less than 1year Old. We don’t drink any alcohol so not sure a vip luau is worth the money?? I love the fact of no lines. Any must do’s let me know. We are going late Oct for 6 nights.. can’t wait!!!!
Thank you for the great daily updates

Thanks @minniemoms! I really like the San Jose airport- it’s just more relaxed and easier than SFO. Parking is more convenient too.
I would say must-dos (other than spending all the time you can on that gorgeous beach) would be getting a spa treatment if you can and taking the canoe ride. It was really fun! And eating some shave ice of course!

I enjoyed reading your report. So glad you had a good time. Do you know what there is to do outside of Aulani? We like to swim, but I don't want to spend money traveling all the way to Hawaii just to spend my days in the pool. After the second day, that would get boring for us.

I enjoyed reading your report. So glad you had a good time. Do you know what there is to do outside of Aulani? We like to swim, but I don't want to spend money traveling all the way to Hawaii just to spend my days in the pool. After the second day, that would get boring for us.
There is so much to do on Oahu! When my daughter is older, we’ll be able to take advantage of it all. Pearl Harbor, hiking, snorkeling, Kualoa Ranch, surfing lessons, Hawaiian history...Hawaii is an awesome place and Oahu has a lot to experience.
There are a lot of excursions that Aulani offers to various places - they’re expensive, but you pay for convenience - and there’s a car rental on site if you want to get out and explore.

Last edited:
Day 2: More beach, more pool

Our arrival day was cloudy and grey, but the next day was much, much nicer:

We went to AMA AMA for breakfast, because I thought it would be a nice way to kick off our first full day at Aulani. Dot had the Hawaiian bread basket, which she very much enjoyed, and my husband had the Japanese breakfast, which he said was very good. I was excited to give Loco Moco a try; the server suggested I substitute Kalua pork for the hamburger, which was a good idea. It was tasty, but there was more gravy than I like and it was very salty.

After breakfast we headed back upstairs to change for the pool, but Dot was having such a good time playing hide and seek that she didn't want to leave the room. I was getting a little annoyed that we went halfway across the Pacific Ocean to play the same games we would have at home, but then I figured, hey, it's her vacation too. Finally, though, we were able to get everyone changed and into the pool.

A note about the pool chair situation: the week started out crazy busy (on a Sunday) and it got progressively easier to find pool chairs throughout the week. There were never any pool chairs directly by the pool in the shade, but we found a corner we liked by Keiki Cove (the little kids' splash pad) and we could usually at least find one there.

First we tried the lazy river. We grabbed two rafts and floated along, but it was too cold for Dot to enjoy it. She wanted to go into the hot tub afterwards, which was a popular choice as all the hot tubs were filled with kids. But it was cute, she kept saying, "Ahhhhhhh." After that we went to the main pool and splashed there for a while.

It was then time for lunch, so we went to Mama's Snack Stop and got fish and chips and coconut shrimp. Really good! We then got some shave ice. Dot wanted "pink" flavor, and I got Li-Hing Mui (sour plum), guava, and mango. I also got the condensed milk on top, which sounds a bit gross but turned the shave ice into a really nice ice cream. I heard a woman complaining in the elevator that she got orange and vanilla flavor to make it taste like a creamsicle, but it didn't work. She should've just gotten orange with condensed milk on top!

We played in the pool for a while longer and then it was time to shower and get changed as my husband and I were headed for a night out! The babysitter arrived with lots of great toys for Dot to play with, and my husband and I went over to Roy's.

This, without a doubt, was the best meal we ate all week. I had trouble deciding between the macadamia nut crusted fish and the special so they made a combination plate for me. Everything was fantastic. Highly recommended.

We had booked the sitter for six hours but that was a little bit ambitious. We finished at Roy's around 10, and went for a walk around the Four Seasons and on the beach path at Ko Olina, but everything was closed. It would have been nice to have a bar at the hotel open a bit later. But we were pretty tired anyway so we headed back to the room.
What did you have to eat at Roy’s ?

What did you have to eat at Roy’s ?

We started with the crispy Brussels sprouts, and then I couldn’t decide whether I wanted the fish special or the macadamia nut crusted fish, so they made me a combination plate. They seem to be willing to do that for most entrees. Then, as it was my birthday, they brought us the brownie dessert. It was so nice! Just a great meal all around.

I have a question about Aunty's Beach House I guess. Was your daughter fully potty trained by the time you went? We're going in September and my son turns three at the end of july and we've been working on potty training but with preschool there's been a lot of backpedaling. He'll use the potty but usually only when we make him and from what I can tell he doesn't go for his teachers at school. He's pretty good at holding it for a long time if he's wearing underwear, so I'm thinking if we wait for him to have a big poop in the morning then we could drop him off for a couple hours and he wouldn't need to use the bathroom during that time. I'm hoping he'll get the hang of it a little more in the next couple months, but we'll see. Also what is the potty situation at Aunty's Beach House? Is it easily accessible for a little one or can the people there help when he needs to go? Should we stick to just going for the open house time or take the risk and drop him off for a couple hours? We've been to Aulani twice, but this is our first time going with a child.

Not the OP - Your child has to be fully toilet trained - you are signing to say so in their t&c’s from memory. The carers do not assist with toilet visits from our experience, so your child would have to be able to identify the need then go unassisted.

I can’t say much about the potty training situation at Aunty’s - we only went with Dot during the open play hours. When we tried to drop her off for an activity, she was there for about 5 minutes before she wanted to leave. I’d go with @kyton’s advice.
The third-party babysitter that Aulani recommended was very good.

Not the OP - Your child has to be fully toilet trained - you are signing to say so in their t&c’s from memory. The carers do not assist with toilet visits from our experience, so your child would have to be able to identify the need then go unassisted.
Ok, thank you. I hadn't seen this discussed anywhere with any specificity, so I wasn't sure about it. Unless a miracle happens in the next three months we'll just plan to take him for the open house.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter