Aulani - when we stay at Marriott Vacation Club

seema

Mouseketeer
We are timeshare owners at the Marriott Vacation Club.

We would like to access the water facilities at Aulani. I guess there is no way to pay for the privilege of access these facilities, short of staying there (Atlantis in Bahamas does offer this option).

We are staying 8 nights at Ko Olina - we are booked to stay 7 nights at the Marriott Vacation Club resort - one option is to stay at Aulani (vacation club or hotel); is there any way to access discounted rates from the rack rate, posted on the Disney web site?

Another option for us is to stay for 8 nights at the Marriott Vacation Club resort, and perhaps for one night, book the smallest timeshare unit or hotel room (for the 3 of us - our daughter is 17) during the week (this will be the week starting Aug 17) - then we will have access to 2 days to the pools/lazy river etc?

If we book one night at Aulani, perhaps on Sat Aug 24, can we extend our checkout time. Our flight on Air Canada leaves HNL at 8:30 PM.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to purchase a day pass etc. to use the facilities. They distribute arm bands the same as they do at Stormalong Bay at Disney's Beach Club Villas for Aulani guests.

Also, if you're going to pick one night to stay at Aulani I wouldn't pick a weekend night. Reports are that the place is significantly more crowded on the weekends with locals coming in for staycations. You'll get more enjoyment out of the facilities if you can make your Aulani night during the week.

Then again, if you stay at Aulani first and then move to the Marriott I think you'll spend the rest of the week weeping. I don't own through MVCI but am an intensely loyal Marriott guest (lifetime platinum). Last year I checked out the two Marriott hotels in Ko Olina while staying at Aulani, and let's just be charitable and say Aulani is a little bit better.

We are currently at Aulani and can attest to the fact that the weekends are pretty crazy. Monday through Thursday the crowds were great and at a minimum. By Friday is was picking up, with Saturday being pretty crazy. We walked down to the Mariott and their outdoor activities are pretty nice too. Maybe not Disney, but nice pool and beach area. Remember that all the beaches in Hawaii are public. So you can still use the beach by Aulani. Their restaurants are actually a bit nicer than Aulani. Longboard's, their outdoor restaurant, had much better food than Off the Hook at Aulani. Plus, they offered breakfast, lunch, and dinner at reasonable rates. At least reasonable for Hawaii. Oh, and the entertainment at the Mariott has been pretty good too. They had some great dancers from Ewa performing one morning. We really enjoyed that! Much better fitness on the beach at Mariott too. I know because we took walks in the morning and saw there classes both Aulani and Mariotts. Mariotts yoga on the beach was much better. So maybe you won't miss being at Aulani too awful much.

Another option for us is to stay for 8 nights at the Marriott Vacation Club resort, and perhaps for one night, book the smallest timeshare unit or hotel room (for the 3 of us - our daughter is 17) during the week (this will be the week starting Aug 17) - then we will have access to 2 days to the pools/lazy river etc?
yeah, this is a good option.
I would book the smallest/cheapest room available during the week using your DVC points and pack a lite overnight bag so you don't have to go back and forth between resorts.

Ko Olina Resort Area Map - http://www.koolina.com/Portals/1/Files/KoOlinaResort_PropertyMap.pdf

If we book one night at Aulani, perhaps on Sat Aug 24, can we extend our checkout time. Our flight on Air Canada leaves HNL at 8:30 PM.

Aulani offers an early check-in/late check-out lounge that you can use.
The lounge has a television with seating, men and women locker rooms with showers - http://resorts.disney.go.com/aulani-hawaii-resort/about-aulani/guest-services/

Here's what we did when we stayed last year....
We checked out of our DVC room and left our luggage with bell services at the front desk since we were planning to spend the rest of the day at the resort. But I packed a separate little day bag with a change of clothing that I kept with me (not bell services). I locked our day bag in the ladies dressing room during the day and we used the day bag to change later in the early evening after we were done with the water activites at the resort.

WARNING - The ladies dressing area is extremely small so don't wait until the last moment to change clothing. When I went to change in the small women's locker room, there was a mother with two teenager daughters and they had their stuff spread out on the bench near the lockers. There just wasn't enough space for me to change, so I decided to wait outside in the lounge area until they were done in the locker area so I could change. I was a little annoying with the mother but I was more annoyed with Disney for making such a small dressing area for late checkout when they know women need more time and space :sad2: but this is my only pet peeve with Aulani ;)

The following photos of the lounge and locker rooms are from an All Ears Aulani Blog

aulani85.jpg

aulani87.jpg

aulani86.jpg

yeah, this is a good option.
I would book the smallest/cheapest room available during the week using your DVC points and pack a lite overnight bag so you don't have to go back and forth between resorts.

Ko Olina Resort Area Map - http://www.koolina.com/Portals/1/Files/KoOlinaResort_PropertyMap.pdf

Aulani offers an early check-in/late check-out lounge that you can use.
The lounge has a television with seating, men and women locker rooms with showers - http://resorts.disney.go.com/aulani-hawaii-resort/about-aulani/guest-services/

Here's what we did when we stayed last year....
We checked out of our DVC room and left our luggage with bell services at the front desk since we were planning to spend the rest of the day at the resort. But I packed a separate little day bag with a change of clothing that I kept with me (not bell services). I locked our day bag in the ladies dressing room during the day and we used the day bag to change later in the early evening after we were done with the water activites at the resort.

WARNING - The ladies dressing area is extremely small so don't wait until the last moment to change clothing. When I went to change in the small women's locker room, there was a mother with two teenager daughters and they had their stuff spread out on the bench near the lockers. There just wasn't enough space for me to change, so I decided to wait outside in the lounge area until they were done in the locker area so I could change. I was a little annoying with the mother but I was more annoyed with Disney for making such a small dressing area for late checkout when they know women need more time and space :sad2: but this is my only pet peeve with Aulani ;)

The following photos of the lounge and locker rooms are from an All Ears Aulani Blog

aulani85.jpg

aulani87.jpg

aulani86.jpg

We are not DVC members.

We are not DVC members.

Hmmm... then maybe it makes sense to spend the 8th night at Aulani.

You might be able to get a cheaper rate by renting points from a DVC member to book a studio for one night.
NOTE: DVC members can make single night reservations but compare the DVC rental rates to hotel rates to see which is the better deal.

Here's a link to 2014 Aulani Point Chart - http://dvcbyrequest.com/point_chart/aulani_disney_villas_2014.htm
You can rent from David's rental site (dvcbyrequest.com) at $14/pt or from the Disboards Rent/Trade Forum.

Also check-out Mousesavers.com for money saving tips - http://www.mousesavers.com/other-di...s-hawaiian-resort-aulani-a-disney-resort-spa/

Good Luck

We are timeshare owners at the Marriott Vacation Club.

We would like to access the water facilities at Aulani. I guess there is no way to pay for the privilege of access these facilities, short of staying there (Atlantis in Bahamas does offer this option).

We are staying 8 nights at Ko Olina - we are booked to stay 7 nights at the Marriott Vacation Club resort - one option is to stay at Aulani (vacation club or hotel); is there any way to access discounted rates from the rack rate, posted on the Disney web site?

Don't let it bother you. We have been at Aulani for two weeks now and it is quite obvious that "locals" use Aulani as their private water park on the weekends. The gates to access Aulani from the beach are missing or not working. The lifeguards do nothing to police none registered guests from using the pool.

The weekends are seriously overcrowded.

OhioDVC said:
Don't let it bother you. We have been at Aulani for two weeks now and it is quite obvious that "locals" use Aulani as their private water park on the weekends. The gates to access Aulani from the beach are missing or not working. The lifeguards do nothing to police none registered guests from using the pool.

The weekends are seriously overcrowded.

Ok that's just silly. I'm local and I pay to stay. Yes there are lots of locals with wristbands and aulani towels. 99 percent of us have more class than that and anyway the trouble to crash isn't worth it imo. First public access to ko Olina is extremely restricted. It's hard to get parking if you get there after 8am. Second, aulani staff check wristbands. I've seen crashers and I can tell you they were bright red and not local. Third, there is a relatively inexpensive and really good water park in kapolei. Fourth, seriously, yes we pay to stay, but only because the kids like Disney and the whole ambiance of anything Disney. There are plenty of beautiful free beaches and pools locals can use.

PCMama,

I am not a local but I agree with you. We are at Aulani currently and did experience an influx over the weekend. We also noticed that a lot more rooms were lit up at night. I also have had my own wristband and or key card checked often.

My take is that DVC is setting their sights on the local market. Disney leaves no profit stone unturned. Locals beware!

We watched 2 "local" families without wristbands stroll in today through the unlocked gate from the beach...and were quickly asked to leave. Weekends just look generally busy. There were many military folks in uniform checking in this weekend along with a few high school graduate families celebrating...it's a big thing here.

When we stayed the week leading into Christmas they checked wristbands so often that my mom (who is not a water person) often didn't go down to the pool area with us to even meet up b/c she didn't want to be accused of not being a guest (she thought it was a hassle to get her wristband just to meet us for lunch). Every morning we would get our wristbands just to feel comfortable walking around.

Even taking pictures w/Mickey, they check your wristbands. It was *that* bad...so I while I can see a few random people strolling in, I doubt that there will be an influx of people who aren't allowed to stay there using the facilities. The pool area is simply too small and I'm sure lots of people would complain.

While I saw alot of local families there on the weekends, it was clear that they were guests. And who is to say who is local or not? We look local ourselves, but we're not.

As an Aulani owner, I am glad that they restrict access. I wouldn't be happy paying MFs to keep up the facilities for the public to use.

Just got home from Aulani this morning and yes they do check for wristbands. Even on the beach when you use the beach chair and umbrellas someone checks to see if you are a registered guest. I looked around and everyone I saw using the pool and lazy river had a wristband on. We actually did a "test" where my 10 yr old did not have one on when she was using the slide and a life guard asked her to get one. That made me happy that they check.

Just back from Aulani and we saw a CM ask a group with the wrong color bands to please get new ones or leave the pool area. So they see to be monitoring at least sometimes. I asked about the weekends and was told by 2 different CMs that it was due to check in/ check out that happen mostly on the weekend end. When people arrive or depart they tend to use the pool area that day instead of touring the island. The lobby is packed on those days too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter