Aulani with a 1 year old

ebenmax

DIS Veteran
Our 1 year old grandson (and his
parents :)) will be traveling with us to Aulani next summer. We have never travelled with him before, and he will have never flown prior to this. He is not necessarily a "chill" baby. He loves stimulation and activity.

I have to admit I'm a little "rusty" on traveling with a baby. Does anyone have advice to share about Aulani with a baby or flying/traveling with one?

Thank you so much!

My only two pieces of advice are
1) to get him a vest so that when he's in laps, he is still restrained, and
2) don't take crap from anyone around you if he's fussy (or even just jabbery). Ask a flight attendant to either find more comfortable accommodations for the complainers or for you. I've seen SO many people treat people horribly because their babies weren't silent (and I even got in the middle of one issue because the complainer was irritating the crap out of me). I've also seen a tremendous amount of very kind and understanding folks, and that's who you need near you for such a long flight.

I would recommend bringing extras of everything...diapers, toys, food, clothes, etc. It's a long flight.

I don't know what the screen policy is for him, but as a special treat he might like to watch some TV shows on a tablet.

Thank you for your suggestions!! Fortunately there will be 5 family members to take turns walking the aisles!

How about at Aulani? What do they have that may interest babies aside from the sand/beach area? Thanks!

Thank you for your suggestions!! Fortunately there will be 5 family members to take turns walking the aisles!

How about at Aulani? What do they have that may interest babies aside from the sand/beach area? Thanks!

I think there is a lot for babies. The "Keiki Cove" splash area will be great for an active inquisitive baby. It is essentially a splash pad but it is very interactive with little Disney magic touches. It makes me want to splash around.

https://www.disneyaulani.com/activities/keiki-cove-splash-zone/

There is also the interactive Menehune Adventure Trail where you use an ipad to go to areas of the resort that light up or move when you make them through the ipad. I think little ones would love to watch the things happening like light up rocks, a sail that moves up and down on a boat, a little keyhole you can peek through, etc...

https://www.disneyaulani.com/activities/menehune-adventure-trail/

If you have not done so already you may want to read @Dugette 's two reports where she travelled to Aulani with her family that includes a little sweetie named Izzy who was about the same age as your grandson will be. I am pretty sure the reports have been victims of the stupid photobucket situation but the details are all there and the report(s) are full of info

https://www.disboards.com/threads/h...7-20-final-update-and-link-to-new-tr.3357724/

I think there is a lot for babies. The "Keiki Cove" splash area will be great for an active inquisitive baby. It is essentially a splash pad but it is very interactive with little Disney magic touches. It makes me want to splash around.

https://www.disneyaulani.com/activities/keiki-cove-splash-zone/

There is also the interactive Menehune Adventure Trail where you use an ipad to go to areas of the resort that light up or move when you make them through the ipad. I think little ones would love to watch the things happening like light up rocks, a sail that moves up and down on a boat, a little keyhole you can peek through, etc...

https://www.disneyaulani.com/activities/menehune-adventure-trail/

If you have not done so already you may want to read @Dugette 's two reports where she travelled to Aulani with her family that includes a little sweetie named Izzy who was about the same age as your grandson will be. I am pretty sure the reports have been victims of the stupid photobucket situation but the details are all there and the report(s) are full of info

https://www.disboards.com/threads/happy-in-hawaii-–-aulani-oahu-with-a-toddler-updated-7-20-final-update-and-link-to-new-tr.3357724/
Thanks for mentioning me. :goodvibes I think the pics should still be there, as it's only the 2010 or older that I'll need to update (thanks, Photobucket! >:() Any questions, let me know. Izzy is now 5 and STILL asks to go back Aulani on a regular basis - she really loved it!

I'd also add that the kids club (Aunty's Beach House) has open houses where the too-young kids can come in and play with their parents or grandparents. There are also some free activities that you can participate in (we did a "surfing" lesson with Chip and Dale out on the lawn). If he likes characters, you can call the character number each morning to find out who is meeting that day. Have fun!

Where will you be flying from? If from anywhere on the east coast or midwest, I'd highly recommend looking into the plane seat configurations before booking anything. We flew on an Airbus 330 on Delta through Atlanta, which has a 2-4-2 seat configuration. It was just DH and I so we had our own row, which made use much more comfortable and easy for us to get up and walk around at our leisure without disturbing anyone. If you have 5 adults plus the 1 year old, you could do a full row of 4 and the 2 seats across from it somewhere near the back of the plane and you likely wouldn't have to worry about too many people around you.

Aulani is awesome for young toddlers! We have taken our littles a couple of times.

First, if you haven't already, please purchase him his own airplane seat and bring his carseat on the plane. It is the safest way for him to travel and you will likely need the car seat once you arrive. Despite the quantites of car seats you see checked at the ticket counter and at the gate, it is really not recommended. Also, then he has his own place to nap and sit. As you book your seats, just be aware the car seat will need to be placed in a window seat (or in an aisle of the middle section of seats in a twin aisle aircraft). It seems like you have loads of help with 5 adults to get through the airports and onto the plane, but let me know if you need any more tips on this. We frequently travel with 3 littles and their car seats.

Bring lots of snacks (we usually bring a soft sided cooler), including enough to make a meal if necessary. We have had situations where food was unavailable for hours due to delays and turbulence and my littles would have MELTED without a sandwich and apple sauce pouch. I also bring a few new toys with us and break them out periodically. Play dough, crayola color wonder, stacking cups, tablet with short shows (like Baby Einstein or Daniel Tiger), glow sticks, wikki stix.

At Aulani, Auntiy's beach house is open for 1.5 hours in the morning for little ones too young to be there during the day. The pools and beach are great. There is a splash pad near Ulu Cafe. The Menehune Bridge is also awesome for young kids. Just be aware they do not allow adults onto the structure at all - even to help a child. My older two loved it when they were 2.5. However, our youngest was 17 months on our last trip and she was not ready for it.

You will have a blast!

At Aulani, Auntiy's beach house is open for 1.5 hours in the morning for little ones too young to be there during the day.

Oh WOW-didnt know this, great tip! My "littles" are 18 and 20 but I have people ask me all the time about HAwaii and Aulani so this is a great bit of info to know, thanks for posting!

Oh WOW-didnt know this, great tip! My "littles" are 18 and 20 but I have people ask me all the time about HAwaii and Aulani so this is a great bit of info to know, thanks for posting!

Np! A couple tidbits to pass on about this time: a parent or guardian has to be present and supervise the child(ren), they often do a dance party and a character stops by - we have seen Stitch and Chip & Dale, they don't allow kids under 5 on the play structure in the back (my 4.5 year olds were most annoyed and disappointed) so this would have been helpful to know ahead of time, there is no need to wait in the long line that forms for parents to sign up for the lunch/dinner spots and premium activities - walk past the line and head straight in.

Np! A couple tidbits to pass on about this time: a parent or guardian has to be present and supervise the child(ren), they often do a dance party and a character stops by - we have seen Stitch and Chip & Dale, they don't allow kids under 5 on the play structure in the back (my 4.5 year olds were most annoyed and disappointed) so this would have been helpful to know ahead of time, there is no need to wait in the long line that forms for parents to sign up for the lunch/dinner spots and premium activities - walk past the line and head straight in.

Thank you for al your replies!!! We are getting close to our 7 month booking date!

I love the info about Aunty's but since we have never been there, I'm not sure what they have at Aunty's for those too little to participate. I see a dance party and characters above, but what other things are offered? What time is the 1.5 hours before opening?

Thanks again!

I’ve gone to Aulani twice and I think it’s a great place for toddlers. We went when my daughter was 2 and she loved it. Your grandson will probably enjoy the lazy river, splash area, beach and character meal. You can bring a small floaty for him to use in the lazy river if you like.

Airplanes with toddlers isn’t always the most fun though. Sometimes the air pressure will bother them on the plane. I used to bring a pacifier for my daughter, now I bring lollipops. As stated above, some others on the plane get pissy if your child is crying. I would try to get my daughter to stop crying but sometimes it’s impossible. If other passengers want to be 100% sure there will be no crying babies on the plane they can fly on a private jet :rotfl2:

I love the info about Aunty's but since we have never been there, I'm not sure what they have at Aunty's for those too little to participate. I see a dance party and characters above, but what other things are offered? What time is the 1.5 hours before opening?

Dress-up clothes, musical instruments, coloring, play kitchen, video games, cartoons, outdoor play area with balls and hula hoops, there is also a small play structure/house they let the young ones on, dance parties, characters. The "too little to participate" designation is because they only take age 3+ and completely potty trained for drop-off during the day (no parent/guardian). So they open it for 1.5 hours in the morning so those under 3 can come with a parent/guardian. It is either 8:00-9:30 or 8:30-10:00. The Daily Iwa will have the hours. Pro tip: if your toddler is up at some ungodly hour, there is a little alcove near the front desk that plays the Disney channel with cute little chairs. We have also walked the path along the lagoons before sun-up. :-)

Watch the Daily Iwa - they also have a few free toddler activities available. I specifically recall a treasure hunt on the beach. Mine were 2.5 at the time and a little young, but with our help, they had a great time.

Dress-up clothes, musical instruments, coloring, play kitchen, video games, cartoons, outdoor play area with balls and hula hoops, there is also a small play structure/house they let the young ones on, dance parties, characters. The "too little to participate" designation is because they only take age 3+ and completely potty trained for drop-off during the day (no parent/guardian). So they open it for 1.5 hours in the morning so those under 3 can come with a parent/guardian. It is either 8:00-9:30 or 8:30-10:00.

Wow!! Thanks for the details! Sounds like so much fun...Disney does it again! I'm sure we will stop down most every morning with our early riser!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter