Austin Family Blowout Aug. 2017

T minus 1 continued: Delta by at Lake Buena Vista: 1/5 stars In addition to getting slammed with a hidden parking fee of $15. The sink is in the bathroom so if one person is in the bathroom. No one else has access to the sink and mirror. Almost no counter space in bathroom for your products. Also, dirty pillowcases and dirty shower curtain.

We walked around Disney Springs in the evening. The first place we hit was Amorette Patisserie. I said "Let's start with dessert first to celebrate being on Disney Property." So, we shared 4 yummy desserts: Mickey Mousse, Pistachio Éclair, Blueberry Lemon Pastry, and the Key Lime Dessert (I forgot the name.) Everything was delicious. 5/5 stars.

https://www.disboards.com/media/image.83392/ (sorry. still trying to figure out the photo thing)
Just a FYI the POLY is like that as well. Sink and bathroom are all combined. At least the room we were in Hawaii last year.

Day one:

We woke the kids early, loaded up the car, and made a bee-line for the Car Care Center. Where we found out that although we signed a waiver refusing the insurance and road side assistance, Sonja at Alamo screwed up our account and added those fees in anyway. I was furious. Since we picked up the car in Tampa, Patti the Alamo manager at the CCC was not able to address the issue. We have to email Tampa. So I did so, but I am not optimistic that the issue will be resolved. We shall see.

Alamo Tampa airport: Now 1/5 stars
Alamo CCC: 4/5 stars

After the fiasco at Alamo, we took their shuttle to the Poly. We went into the Ceremonial House, but the Club Level attendant had not arrived for the morning so we were checked in by a lovely lady from Manchester, England. She took us back to Hawaii where the Club Level staff took over. We went to breakfast in the lounge and enjoyed yogurt, pastries, and fruit. There was also oatmeal, cereal, cheese, turkey, coffee, milk, OJ, choc milk.

We found Lipoa!!! Those of you who have been to O'hana in the last 15+ years have likely seen the beautiful entertainer. Well, she was recently removed as the entertainer at O'hana, but she is still at the Poly. We found her in the club lounge serving and cleaning up. I wasn't sure it was her at first, so I asked her if she had worked at O'hana. She said yes. I asked if she was the entertainer. She said yes, but there was a catch in her voice. I had to hug her. :( I told her she had entertained my daughters at age 2 and at age 5. She apologized that we had to see her not at her best. I told her she was beautiful. (and she is!) She said that though she was sad by the decision she was still blessed to be able to see some of her fans.

Poly CL check in: 5/5
Poly CL breakfast: 5/5
Seeing Lipoa: 10/10

Day one con't:

After breakfast, we went to MK. We took the boat since it was practically outside our door. DH and DD1 wanted haircuts, but didn't get them before we left home so they decided to go to the Barber Shop on Main Street. It was a fun idea, but they seem to do only one type of haircut complete with pixie dust. 4/5

Since we had BOG ADR at 11:35am, we made our way to the back. We got back there early and went into Gaston's and tried Lefou's Brew. It was a strange drink; weird taste, but cold. 2.5/5

We went to BOG where we had already preordered so we got the short line. We wanted to sit in the West Wing, but there was no available seat so we ate in the Ballroom. I expected someone to come over and pick up the receipt so they knew what we wanted. Imagine my surprise when I see the server come up and bring us our food. DH and I surmise that we were tracked by our Magic Bands.

The French Onion Soup was really good. 4/5
DH really loved the French Dip with fries. I thought it was pretty good. 4/5
My favorite dish was the Braised Pork. The meat was tender, the potatoes were flavorful, and the veggies perfectly cooked. 5/5
The Master's Cupcake was okay. 3/5 https://www.disboards.com/media/master.83445/
BOG atmosphere: 5/5 Loved the snow outside the ballroom. Loved viewing the west wing; would have preferred to eat there.

After we finished lunch, we made our way towards Under the Sea. On the way there, we saw the line for Gaston. (He was on break when we were at the tavern before.) DDs got a pic with him. He talked the entire time. They hardly got a word in edgewise.

Under the Sea was a new experience for us. Very cute. We circled around to make our FPs for SDMT. That was new for us, too. We really enjoyed it. Next we went to Mickey's Philharmagic, then did our FPs for Peter Pan. We next went to Small World. Since we heard such great things about Memento Mori, we went there and DDs each did the creepy pics.

I have to pause here to say that MK was packed. Touring Plans predicted a 6. I think it was more like an 8.5.

We cut through to POTC and rode that. Then we started making our way towards Main Street, but before we exited Adventureland altogether we stopped at Sunshine Tree Terrace for a Citrus Swirl. 4.5/5

We took the boat back to the Poly and found our room. We had requested a 1st floor facing the lagoon near elevator or lounge. We got two out of three. 1st near elevator, but facing the Oasis Pool.

Day one concluded:

They were serving appetizers in the lounge so we went there before dinner. They had veggies w/ranch, pot sticker, mini roast beef on toast, golden beet salad, tuna credo, little breads, hummus, cheese, crackers, and pineapple & caramel. We sampled everything except the tuna. Everything was delicious! We were actually too full to go to dinner so we went to our room to settle in. https://www.disboards.com/media/day-1-apps.83446/

Before we knew it was time for desserts. They served tutti frutti panna cotta, brownie w/Mickey sprinkles, coconut macaroons, fruit tart, sugar cookies, and chocolate chip cookies. There were also the cordials. I made myself a grown up Hazelnut Latte. https://www.disboards.com/media/day-1-desserts.83447/

After that we went down to the beach to enjoy the electric water parade and MK fireworks. Within 5 minutes of returning to the room, a storm hit. It was over quickly and we got ready for bed.

One complaint I do have is that the in room Internet was horrible. More off than on. That is why the delay in my posting to the thread and adding more pics.

Last edited:

Day one concluded:

They were serving appetizers in the lounge so we went there before dinner. They had veggies w/ranch, pot sticker, mini roast beef on toast, golden beet salad, tuna credo, little breads, hummus, cheese, crackers, and pineapple & caramel. We sampled everything except the tuna. Everything was delicious! We were actually too full to go to dinner so we went to our room to settle in. https://www.disboards.com/media/day-1-apps.83446/

Before we knew it was time for desserts. They served tutti frutti panna cotta, brownie w/Mickey sprinkles, coconut macaroons, fruit tart, sugar cookies, and chocolate chip cookies. There were also the cordials. I made myself a grown up Hazelnut Latte. https://www.disboards.com/media/day-1-desserts.83447/

After that we went down to the beach to enjoy the electric water parade and MK fireworks. Within 5 minutes of returning to the room, a storm hit. It was over quickly and we got ready for bed.

One complaint I do have is that the in room Internet was horrible. More off than on. That is why the delay in my posting to the thread and adding more pics.
This is great. Thanks for posting and enjoy day 2!

Day Two: I woke before the rest of the family and headed to the lounge for breakfast. Today they had salmon instead of turkey. Some of the pastries were different than the previous day. After awhile the rest of the family joined me and we saw Lipoa. She gave us all big hug then signed autographs and posed for a pic. https://www.disboards.com/media/lipoa.83472/
She also put flowers in the girls' hair. We then went to MK via the resort boats.

The day was somewhat cooler and the crowds somewhat lighter. We had FPs for Buzz then we went on the PeopleMover. That one surprisingly had a bit of a wait. We used our FPs for Pooh then made our way to CHH to share a quick lunch of shrimp and fish. After we used our FPs for Haunted Mansion. The girls wanted to go back to the Poly. We swung by some gift shops on Main street on the way out. I ran over to the Confectionary to get some Rice Krispie Treats. We then went back to the Poly via monorail.

On our way back to the lounge, we grabbed some Pan Asian Noodles from Captain Cooks https://www.disboards.com/media/noodles-cc.83473/. Afternoon snacks consisted of chicken wraps, wonton chips, trail mix, and cookies. I had iced tea w/lime to drink. One DD made an Arnold Palmer. The other DD had POG juice.

Just as we considered going to the pool, a storm came up so we played games the rest of the afternoon. Evening snacks consisted of chicken skewers, pork pate, pulled pork, shrimp salad, veggies w/ranch, cheese and crackers, breads and hummus. I had the alcohol punch to drink.

We pretty much filled up on the evening snacks so no additional food for dinner. After discussion, we decided we wanted to head to Evening Magic Hours later that night. To kill time, we went to the gift shops at the Poly. Then we returned to the lounge for dessert: Key Lime Tarts, Vanilla Cupcake, Chocolate Mousse Cake, and Carrot Cake. As soon as we finished our treats, we went to the resort boat about 8:30pm and went to MK. https://www.disboards.com/media/day-2-desserts.83471/

The line to get in was mostly empty. We went to Tony's to get autographs from Lady and the Tramp. Then we took the shortcut through Tomorrowland Terrace and made our way to the Peoplemover. While we were on it HEA started. We had a great view of everything. Then we went to Astro Orbiter. We swung by Princess Fairytale Hall to see Cinderella then hit Haunted Mansion and POTC. After that we went to the garden area in front of the castle and got some gorgeous pics of the castle, Tomorrowland, and Main Street. We visited the Art of Disney store and wished we had enough $$ to buy out the whole store. We left about 11:50pm and took the resort boat back.

Day one:

We woke the kids early, loaded up the car, and made a bee-line for the Car Care Center. Where we found out that although we signed a waiver refusing the insurance and road side assistance, Sonja at Alamo screwed up our account and added those fees in anyway. I was furious. Since we picked up the car in Tampa, Patti the Alamo manager at the CCC was not able to address the issue. We have to email Tampa. So I did so, but I am not optimistic that the issue will be resolved. We shall see.

Alamo Tampa airport: Now 1/5 stars
Alamo CCC: 4/5 stars

After the fiasco at Alamo, we took their shuttle to the Poly. We went into the Ceremonial House, but the Club Level attendant had not arrived for the morning so we were checked in by a lovely lady from Manchester, England. She took us back to Hawaii where the Club Level staff took over. We went to breakfast in the lounge and enjoyed yogurt, pastries, and fruit. There was also oatmeal, cereal, cheese, turkey, coffee, milk, OJ, choc milk.

We found Lipoa!!! Those of you who have been to O'hana in the last 15+ years have likely seen the beautiful entertainer. Well, she was recently removed as the entertainer at O'hana, but she is still at the Poly. We found her in the club lounge serving and cleaning up. I wasn't sure it was her at first, so I asked her if she had worked at O'hana. She said yes. I asked if she was the entertainer. She said yes, but there was a catch in her voice. I had to hug her. :( I told her she had entertained my daughters at age 2 and at age 5. She apologized that we had to see her not at her best. I told her she was beautiful. (and she is!) She said that though she was sad by the decision she was still blessed to be able to see some of her fans.

Poly CL check in: 5/5
Poly CL breakfast: 5/5
Seeing Lipoa: 10/10

Wow - thank you so much for the update of Lipoa. We have seen her each time we go to Ohana for years. She always comes over to us and we sing with her. Our oldest DD always requests the Lava song. Last year was the best. I was so upset to know she was let go of Ohana. I am so excited to be able to see her when we go - just to tell her how much we love her.

Does anyone know why she was let go?

Thanks for you Poly review.

Day Two: I woke before the rest of the family and headed to the lounge for breakfast. Today they had salmon instead of turkey. Some of the pastries were different than the previous day. After awhile the rest of the family joined me and we saw Lipoa. She gave us all big hug then signed autographs and posed for a pic. https://www.disboards.com/media/lipoa.83472/
She also put flowers in the girls' hair. We then went to MK via the resort boats.

The day was somewhat cooler and the crowds somewhat lighter. We had FPs for Buzz then we went on the PeopleMover. That one surprisingly had a bit of a wait. We used our FPs for Pooh then made our way to CHH to share a quick lunch of shrimp and fish. After we used our FPs for Haunted Mansion. The girls wanted to go back to the Poly. We swung by some gift shops on Main street on the way out. I ran over to the Confectionary to get some Rice Krispie Treats. We then went back to the Poly via monorail.

On our way back to the lounge, we grabbed some Pan Asian Noodles from Captain Cooks https://www.disboards.com/media/noodles-cc.83473/. Afternoon snacks consisted of chicken wraps, wonton chips, trail mix, and cookies. I had iced tea w/lime to drink. One DD made an Arnold Palmer. The other DD had POG juice.

Just as we considered going to the pool, a storm came up so we played games the rest of the afternoon. Evening snacks consisted of chicken skewers, pork pate, pulled pork, shrimp salad, veggies w/ranch, cheese and crackers, breads and hummus. I had the alcohol punch to drink.

We pretty much filled up on the evening snacks so no additional food for dinner. After discussion, we decided we wanted to head to Evening Magic Hours later that night. To kill time, we went to the gift shops at the Poly. Then we returned to the lounge for dessert: Key Lime Tarts, Vanilla Cupcake, Chocolate Mousse Cake, and Carrot Cake. As soon as we finished our treats, we went to the resort boat about 8:30pm and went to MK. https://www.disboards.com/media/day-2-desserts.83471/

The line to get in was mostly empty. We went to Tony's to get autographs from Lady and the Tramp. Then we took the shortcut through Tomorrowland Terrace and made our way to the Peoplemover. While we were on it HEA started. We had a great view of everything. Then we went to Astro Orbiter. We swung by Princess Fairytale Hall to see Cinderella then hit Haunted Mansion and POTC. After that we went to the garden area in front of the castle and got some gorgeous pics of the castle, Tomorrowland, and Main Street. We visited the Art of Disney store and wished we had enough $$ to buy out the whole store. We left about 11:50pm and took the resort boat back.

Your reviews are great - so detailed. We get there soon and love reading your day by day. Enjoy the rest of your trip. :flower:

Also love the picture of Lipoa.

Wow - thank you so much for the update of Lipoa. We have seen her each time we go to Ohana for years. She always comes over to us and we sing with her. Our oldest DD always requests the Lava song. Last year was the best. I was so upset to know she was let go of Ohana. I am so excited to be able to see her when we go - just to tell her how much we love her.

Does anyone know why she was let go?

Thanks for you Poly review.

Apparently, mgmt. wanted something new. :(

I understand the lounge can be accessed 24hrs. Are there drinks available after 10pm?

Day Three:
Alamo responded to my email. They are going to credit me for the unwanted charges. 5/5

Originally, we had planned a half day at AK for today. Well, after our late night, we decided we would switch that to another day. For the afternoon, we had scheduled a pool patio. I bumped that to the morning. So, here is how our day went.

I got up early as I always do and had breakfast. About 9:30am, I took the DDs breakfast and had them get up. We went to the pool and got our patio. After 11am, we ordered lunch from the bar. We split the Teriyaki Burger, Chicken Avocado Wrap, and Oasis Salad. The burger and wrap were really good as were the fries that accompanied them. We hated the salad. It was very bitter. We also ordered some drinks. The girls got virgin pina coladas. DH got the Pineapple Freeze. I got the Banana Cabana.

After our time at the patio ended, I decided to do laundry. Using the laundry view app is so convenient. The laundry room itself was clean and well lit, but it seemed far from everything.

A storm came up in the afternoon so we used the time to rearrange our luggage as we were transferring to a resort the next day.

Evening snacks consisted of meatball, cucumber sushi, veggies w/ranch, cheese and crackers, breads and hummus, pineapple and caramel and a few other things I can't remember. We were still too full to even think about getting the Twilight Feast and DH lamented that we wouldn't be getting it. Well, while we were playing a game in the lounge (The club desk keeps family games on hand.), a group sitting near us had ordered the Twilight Feast, but they ordered way too much. We had been talking to them earlier so they approached us and practically begged us to take some of the food. So, yes, prayers are answered. We each got a small sampling (which is really all we wanted and needed) of the Twilight Feast.

We watched the MK fireworks in the lounge while enjoying desserts such as smores tart, éclair, cherry tart, strawberry cake.

Before moving on to the next resort, I have a few more things to say about the Poly. Most of the staff were amazing. One or two were lackluster, but overall the staff was excellent. We absolutely loved taking the resort boat to MK. All the resort boat captains were friendly and made us laugh. Baggage check at the boat exit was done quickly and professionally. The security officers doing the baggage checks were extremely friendly.

There were some down sides. Some of the evening CL desk staff were not near as good as the day staff. We were not able to connect to the internet so DH went down on the first evening we were there and asked about it. He was told they were "having issues." Well, in the morning we were still not able to connect, so I asked the day staff. The gentleman I spoke to apologized and admitted there were some dead spots in the building and our room, although convenient, was in one of those spots. He suggested we try the lounge. Why couldn't the evening staff tell us this?

Overall, we loved the Poly. 8.75/10

I forgot to mention some of the beverages at the Poly. This was out all day: The espresso machine which looks very intimidating, but is easy to use. It also makes cappuccino, latte, and iced cappucino (yes!) You could also use it for just hot water for the tea and hot cocoa packets. There was also a mini fridge that held sodas and beer.

At Breakfast, there was milk, lowfat milk, chocolate milk, pog juice, and water. (Pog juice is a delicious tropical fruit punch.) In another area was coffee and decaf coffee.
At afternoon snacks, there was the pog juice, iced tea, lemonade, and water.
At evening snacks, they had the pog juice, iced tea, lemonade, water, and wine. (In addition to the sodas and beers in the mini fridge.) There was also a grownup pog juice with alcohol added.
At dessert time, they brought out various liquors. I can't remember the names, but I know there was Kahlua, a hazelnut liquor, an amaretto, an orange liquor, and something else.

Day 4: So one last breakfast at the Poly. We really enjoyed staying here and were looking forward to the YC CL. We took our luggage to Bell Services to transfer to YC. This day was our first Epcot day. We met BIL and his gf. First the girls met Baymax. Then we had FPs for Soarin' which was great! Kind of missed the old one, but this was good as well. We ended up in row 1 which lifts to the top. This made me nervous, but it was fine. I think what bothered me the most was when you floated through the fireworks at the end. There was more shaking than I expected.

Our next FP was for SE, but first we went to LS with Nemo. We kind of rushed through the aquarium part so we could make our FPs. Despite having FPs, we still had a longer wait than I expected. By this time, lunch was approaching so we decided to head to the UK to eat Fish n' Chips. Afterwards, the girls met Mary Poppins.

I should pause here to state how horribly, unbearably hot it was. Mid to upper 90s with humidity in the 90s. Most of Epcot seems to be under little to no shade so we got pretty miserable pretty quickly. We went to France to look around and meet Belle. DD1 was looking a little faint so we headed to Tangerine Café in Morocco for some water. She wasn't much better so I elected to take her to YC so we could check in. We made it out the International Gateway and picked up the Friendship Boat, but I was really worried about her. She drank water, used her misting fan, and had a cooling towel around her neck. It was still very awful out.

Finally, we made it into YC where a gentleman in a Captain (or Admiral's) suit escorted us to the 5th floor. I sent DD to the lounge for more water while I checked. The ladies who checked us in were wonderful. Even though our room was not ready, they could see DD2 was not feeling well and worked to find a comparable room that was available so she could lie down. I had requested something near the lounge. Unfortunately, we didn't get that. We did have a very nice pool view though, which was unexpected. There was no welcome drink although they did have some flavored water out.

The afternoon snacks were breadsticks and hummus, chips, crudité and dip, snack mix, yogurt pretzels, cookies, and their stormalong breeze punch (which they only served during the afternoon snacks, btw. Would like to have had this in the evening, too.) They also had iced tea, lemonade, and sodas. No beer.

I called down to Bell Services and fortunately our luggage was there so we had it brought up. I also requested a clock since there was not one in the room. While DD rested, I unpacked. Before we knew it, DH and DD2 showed up and took a tour of the room. We had a shower only, but we were okay with that. There were lots of cupboards and shelves. I also appreciated the sinks separated from the toilet/shower.

DH and DD2 arrived so I sent the girls to talk to the CL desk staff. You see, they volunteer at a center which takes care of children who are physically and often mentally disabled. Many of the kids love Disney movies, so my DDs were hoping they could request an autographed picture of Mickey that they could hang up in the center's common room. The ladies at the front desk said they would give Mickey their request.

We went down to evening snacks. There was a golden beet salad, a mix of cherry tomatoes w/mozzarella, polenta and pork, seared tuna, mac and cheese bites, veggies and dip, PBJ shooters, and caramel dip w/apples. They also had beer, wine, and sangria which were served by the staff. I asked if the Stormalong Breeze punch was available and was curtly told it was only served in the early afternoon.

We were not very pleased with the food so we decided to have dinner at the Crew's Cup. DH and I split the prime rib. Both DDs split the Lobster Roll. We walked around and explored the resort. DDs love gift shops so we checked out the YC and BC shops. By the time we were done, it was time for dessert. There were chocolate raspberry cupcakes, red velvet cupcakes, make your own cupcakes (which were vanilla cupcakes with different kinds of sprinkles), a flourless chocolate cake, oreo mousse, raspberry panna cotta, rice krispie treats, brownies, and cookies. Also there were several liquors.

There were a lot of desserts, but unfortunately they served the same thing Every. Single. Night. The cupcakes were dry. The cookies must have been the same ones served during afternoon snacks as they were a bit stale. The best thing was the panna cotta.

We wanted to call it an early night so we went back to the room where we watched some of the Epcot fireworks.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter