Autism and disability pass

SaphireBeast18

Earning My Ears
So I have autism and list most autistic kids, I hate waiting. I want to get a disability pass for my trip. Does anyone know how you get it?

So I have autism and list most autistic kids, I hate waiting. I want to get a disability pass for my trip. Does anyone know how you get it?

I'd recommend you read the first post of the following thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...15-digital-das-on-tickets-magicbands.3178976/

Getting the DAS is based on your needs, not your diagnosis You will need to go to guest services and explain to them what it is about your disability that makes waiting in line difficult. What is it about waiting in the lines that bothers you? How do you react when waiting in a line? Everyone hates waiting in lines so telling them that won't be enough to get the DAS. Plus, not all people with autism are the same so you shouldn't just say the diagnosis. Think about how you feel when you are waiting in a line and communicate why it is difficult for you. If it would be easier for you, write that out before you go so you can refer to your notes when trying to speak with guest services.

As the other OPs indicated, you need to explain to the CM at one of the guest relations locations at the the theme parks why you cannot handle a traditional queue. You might get a CM that you tell you are autistic and they just set you up with a DAS. You might also get a CM that asks you to explain how being autistic causes you issues with the queue.

When you go to request the DAS, you also need to make sure you have the other individuals traveling with you. If you are issued a DAS, they will assign it to your Magic Band (MB) or physical ticket and take your picture. Then, they will scan and associate the other individuals in your party with your DAS account. You can have a large number of individuals assigned to your account, but you might only be able to get a return time for up to 5 people plus the DAS holder.

If issued the DAS, anyone associated with your DAS account can get the return time for an attraction that offers FP. That individual will need to let the CM know which individuals will be going on that attraction. The DAS holder must always ride the attraction when a DAS is issued and should be the first to tap their MB to make sure any booked FP for that same attraction are not used first.

Since you can only hold 1 DAS at a time, which is the posted return time, minus 10 minutes, relying only on DAS can make it difficult to get things done and could cause more issues. This is the reason it is best used in conjunction with FP+ and a good touring plan. Since the DAS basically sends guests through the FP lane, there are times when a wait could be longer due to issues with that attraction that slows down all lines. This is also why it is good to have other coping mechanisms to help with lines.

Please know that having a DAS does not in any way eliminate all waiting from your Disney day. You may still have to wait at least some time in the return line (up to 15-20 minutes, or sometimes more). And what if the ride breaks down while you are waiting or while you are on the ride? You may end up waiting an hour or longer. It always helps to be prepared for these situations, just in case they happen to you. DAS will not eliminate any waiting for parades or shows or food lines. Or lines for the rest rooms. So the above suggestions for having coping mechanisms are very good ones. DAS is only a tool (and it can be a very good one!), but it is helpful to remember that it is not the answer to everything.

It's still quicker to just wait in the line than to go get a DAS, wait for the return time, then wait in the fast pass line, for almost all situations in our experience. If you have headphones, can listen to an audio book maybe or watch a video, or whatever works for you, it's probably more peaceful in line than all the hustling back and forth required when using the DAS. I think DAS is best for people who otherwise wouldn't be able to go at all, and have a caregiver that can use DAS to make the experience enjoyable for them.
(We went one afternoon without our special kiddo and were amazed at how much we did and saw. Eye opening.)

It's still quicker to just wait in the line than to go get a DAS, wait for the return time, then wait in the fast pass line, for almost all situations in our experience. If you have headphones, can listen to an audio book maybe or watch a video, or whatever works for you, it's probably more peaceful in line than all the hustling back and forth required when using the DAS. I think DAS is best for people who otherwise wouldn't be able to go at all, and have a caregiver that can use DAS to make the experience enjoyable for them.
(We went one afternoon without our special kiddo and were amazed at how much we did and saw. Eye opening.)
If the DAS isn't cutting down on wait time, then it's working as designed. It's not meant to reduce wait time, it's meant to reduce the time waiting in the actual line. Anyone that can handle waiting in the line shouldn't even be requesting a DAS.

Of course it's not quicker to use DAS. I think there is a perception that it is a short cut to simply waiting. The OP said they hate waiting. So I was addressing that. :)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter